Ordered the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 - should I do a mini review?

Filingo
On 4/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, Filingo said:

Haha I just made a post about replacement fans for my PA120, their sound is annoying, though they cool well.

But I wonder if someone don't have readily available fans around if it's still worth buying this cooler for $40 and like spend extra $30-40 for better fans..?

At this point it might be better to just buy something like Dark Pro 4 on a sale.. or a Noctua?

If you got the space get arctic freezer 2, its one of the cheapest and by far better than corsair's and nzxt's. 

If you dont have space, well if its a mid range cpu cooler master hyper 212 if high end noctua nh-d15

4 hours ago, Nets said:

If you got the space get arctic freezer 2, its one of the cheapest and by far better than corsair's and nzxt's. 

If you dont have space, well if its a mid range cpu cooler master hyper 212 if high end noctua nh-d15

I still haven't got over the idea of putting liquids close to my PC internals so I can't use AIOs 

Maybe they use non-conductive liquids? Not sure because I've seen cases online where it leaked and shorted the PC

8 hours ago, Filingo said:

I still haven't got over the idea of putting liquids close to my PC internals so I can't use AIOs 

Maybe they use non-conductive liquids? Not sure because I've seen cases online where it leaked and shorted the PC

well im going on my 3rd AIO never had an issue, the leaks usualy happen on custom watercooler, the factory AIO is well sealled, dont be worried about that. but well if you want air cooler, on a mid range cpu you dont need more than a coolermaster hyper 212, on high end i recomend noctua nh-d15 if you cant fit it get the nh-u14 and you should be fine.

About AIO arctic freezer as soon you unbox it you see that wont leak on you :D

PA120 is as good as a D15.. Hyper 212 is a pos.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

9 hours ago, Nets said:

well im going on my 3rd AIO never had an issue, the leaks usualy happen on custom watercooler, the factory AIO is well sealled, dont be worried about that. but well if you want air cooler, on a mid range cpu you dont need more than a coolermaster hyper 212, on high end i recomend noctua nh-d15 if you cant fit it get the nh-u14 and you should be fine.

About AIO arctic freezer as soon you unbox it you see that wont leak on you 😄

My previous job was building PCs (I did dozens a week) and we used AIOs, so I confirm they're pretty solid, never had issue with them but still I from some reason prefer air coolers (I never had a PC that really needs AIO as well)

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

PA120 is as good as a D15.. Hyper 212 is a pos.

True, and depends on the CPU. When we tested the CPUs (11600K at the time), it would reach 100C, even when using the double fan version

Ok we tested with Intel Burn Test and it's quite intensive, but I think that it gives you an idea that it's not a sufficient cooler for this CPU at least

(Not to mention that the 11 gen is quite hot)

I bought the FC140 because I did not want 6mm pipes, 8mm pipes are where it’s at 😎

Whaaatt? 8mm? Show us results man

wanna see a post about FC140 benchmark (especially with those fans you put on)

4 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Whaaatt? 8mm? Show us results man

wanna see a post about FC140 benchmark (especially with those fans you put on)

Its nothing crazy, but I did kick the crap out of my 5900X a little yesterday.

5900X.thumb.png.5db0a2902fa7a0d31f5e7cf8f0a44a15.png

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Its nothing crazy, but I did kick the crap out of my 5900X a little yesterday.

5900X.thumb.png.5db0a2902fa7a0d31f5e7cf8f0a44a15.png

nice, and the price is like half the price of D15? (looks like it's out of stock on Amazon so I can't see price now)

How does it actually compare to the D15? Any idea?

16 minutes ago, Filingo said:

nice, and the price is like half the price of D15? (looks like it's out of stock on Amazon so I can't see price now)

How does it actually compare to the D15? Any idea?

You can find them on AliExpress, that’s where I bought mine. There are a few guys at OCN that compare FC140 to D15, FC140 deals with things a bit better, and D15 is slightly quieter.

Edit:

I normally run my fans on the silent profile, I turn them up when I abuse the system..

Edit:

What got the temps and power so high was Linpack Xtreme.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

You can find them on AliExpress, that’s where I bought mine. There are a few guys at OCN that compare FC140 to D15, FC140 deals with things a bit better, and D15 is slightly quieter.

Edit:

I normally run my fans on the silent profile, I turn them up when I abuse the system..

Edit:

I've got the fs140. I am going to add that it looks better than the noctua... 

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

Edit:

Edit:

Nice, what's more abusive? Linpack or Prime95?

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I've got the fs140. I am going to add that it looks better than the noctua... 

Noctua color scheme matches nothing

It could look good if maybe someone makes a fully Noctua poop brown PC somehow, then it might actually look nice

22 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Nice, what's more abusive? Linpack or Prime95?

Noctua color scheme matches nothing

It could look good if maybe someone makes a fully Noctua poop brown PC somehow, then it might actually look nice

I like Linpack. I usually select option 5, the 10GB load.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b6871738f249600ba5491ea5c41994fe.jpgNerver tryed FS 140 but a 140mm aircooler will allways do well and anyway dont be to much worried between fs140 or d15, i dont know wich one is better only had a d15 in the past on my old 7700k and did pretty well. 
no idea how will perform on  5900x but i dont think the 5900x gets any hotter than 7700k wich was the worst cpu iv ever bought.

anyway at this moment i have a arctic 420 mm, mounted on my case (phanteks evolvx) with 3 exaust arctic 140mm fans and my system temps about 1h gaming is :

edit : had cpu tab closed xD btw i barely ear my system working at all its 20 degrees C in the room

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 11:01 PM, Nets said:

About AIO arctic freezer as soon you unbox it you see that wont leak on you 😄

They all could leak,Its rare but has happened https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/cooling/corsair-recalls-leaky-h100i-rgb-platinum-se-coolers/1/