Corsair Commander Pro - Fans keep disappearing and reappearing

SRRAE
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,

Everything that has been said its true. As  the corsiar fans are not that great. But as buggy as it is for some, corsiar icue/rgb controls are best in every way. 

Any my gf build ran into the same issue with disconnects and copies when I was using a h100i v2. 

You could try a clean reinstall

To uninstall iCUE:

1. Open Control Panel on your computer.
  2. Select Programs and Features.
  3. Select Corsair Utility Engine in the list of programs, then select Uninstall

Once you’ve uninstalled iCUE, you need to remove some files so a clean reinstallation can be done:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run command.
  2. Type %appdata%, then click OK.
  3. Delete any Corsair folders in the window that pops up.
  4. Re-open the Run command and type %localappdata%.
  5. Delete any Corsair folders that appear.
  6. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ for iCUE 3, or C:\Program Files\ for iCUE 4.
  7. Delete any Corsair files in that folder.
  8. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run command.
  9. Type Regedit in the Run Window, then click OK.
  10. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and delete the entire Corsair folder.
    regedit_corsair_folder_1.png

11. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and delete the entire Corsair folder.
    regedit_corsair_folder_2.jpg

12. Restart your computer.
  13. Download a new iCUE installer file from Corsair.com.
  14. Reinstall iCUE. 

There might be a firmware update for your commander pro too.

You can also try a different USB header.

The other options rma the commander or use a different motherboard. 

I dont know how long this has been going on for but I noticed that the fans on the Performance tab of iCue, keeps disappearing and re-appearing

I can be viewing the performance tab and after bout 5-10 seconds most or all the fans just disappear from the screen and then will start spinning up full speed.   After anything from 5-30 seconds later, some or all of the fans will reappear in the list before a few moments later they go again.

I have uninstalled iCue and reinstalled with no difference.  I have tried iCue 3 and iCue 4.
I did notice the description of the Commander Pro on the iCue software is called COMMANDER PRO (1) which usually means the hardware reinstalled  with remanence of the old device hanging around.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, SRRAE said:

I dont know how long this has been going on for but I noticed that the fans on the Performance tab of iCue, keeps disappearing and re-appearing

I can be viewing the performance tab and after bout 5-10 seconds most or all the fans just disappear from the screen and then will start spinning up full speed.   After anything from 5-30 seconds later, some or all of the fans will reappear in the list before a few moments later they go again.

I have uninstalled iCue and reinstalled with no difference.  I have tried iCue 3 and iCue 4.
I did notice the description of the Commander Pro on the iCue software is called COMMANDER PRO (1) which usually means the hardware reinstalled  with remanence of the old device hanging around.

Thanks

All I got is avoid RGB.  iCUE has reputation for being both annoyingly buggy and being the most effective software available.  The best still just isn’t very good.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All I got is avoid RGB.  iCUE has reputation for being both annoyingly buggy and being the most effective software available.  The best still just isn’t very good.

Not to mention rgb is a massive money pit if you arent careful, corsair fans just suck ass for their price, theyll get absolutely obliterated by p120 bionix rgb in both performance and noise, and that fan for a 3 pack is half the price of corsair ll or ql fans, there are cheaper and even better alternatives available such as the aformentioned p120 bionix rgb, phanteks fsk, etc.

If you really want rgb then just buy fans with a remote so no stupid software needed, if i ever consider rgb id prefer to have no rgb software to go along with it so no stupid problems or bugs

Everything that has been said its true. As  the corsiar fans are not that great. But as buggy as it is for some, corsiar icue/rgb controls are best in every way. 

Any my gf build ran into the same issue with disconnects and copies when I was using a h100i v2. 

You could try a clean reinstall

To uninstall iCUE:

1. Open Control Panel on your computer.
  2. Select Programs and Features.
  3. Select Corsair Utility Engine in the list of programs, then select Uninstall

Once you’ve uninstalled iCUE, you need to remove some files so a clean reinstallation can be done:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run command.
  2. Type %appdata%, then click OK.
  3. Delete any Corsair folders in the window that pops up.
  4. Re-open the Run command and type %localappdata%.
  5. Delete any Corsair folders that appear.
  6. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ for iCUE 3, or C:\Program Files\ for iCUE 4.
  7. Delete any Corsair files in that folder.
  8. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run command.
  9. Type Regedit in the Run Window, then click OK.
  10. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and delete the entire Corsair folder.
    regedit_corsair_folder_1.png

11. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and delete the entire Corsair folder.
    regedit_corsair_folder_2.jpg

12. Restart your computer.
  13. Download a new iCUE installer file from Corsair.com.
  14. Reinstall iCUE. 

There might be a firmware update for your commander pro too.

You can also try a different USB header.

The other options rma the commander or use a different motherboard. 

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Corsair commander pros fan control is best in class tho 

8 hours ago, SRRAE said:

Thanks

any chance of pics how it looks? (with fans and with fans gone)

I haven't used Command Pro for a year now, but I remember it monitored fans as 0 RPM sometimes when I had same fans split on the same header. I believe I set them to correctly as PWM in iCUE when this occured.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

17 hours ago, NorKris said:

Corsair commander pros fan control is best in class tho 

Sure.  Best of a bad class though.  The whole privatization of the evolution of RGB seems like a slow motion video of someone stomping on then tripping over their own genetalia.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure.  Best of a bad class though.  The whole privatization of the evolution of RGB seems like a slow motion video of someone stomping on then tripping over their own genetalia.

well, i cant speak for gigabye or msi.. but Icue is better than Aura and armorycrate. 
For FanControll its better than MSI's, better than fan xpert3

27 minutes ago, NorKris said:

well, i cant speak for gigabye or msi.. but Icue is better than Aura and armorycrate. 
For FanControll its better than MSI's, better than fan xpert3

Rgb fan control.   The term “fancontrol” includes both rgb and non rgb.  Old school non rgb fan control was from the bios which is fundamentally better than an app that runs on top of windows which runs on top of bios even when it’s chunkier.  Has to be done with rgb though because of the whole “run away from standards” thing and make up your own stuff more concerned with not working with anyone else’s stuff than actually working well.  It’s beyond stupid.  Computers are not the first consumer electrical product.  The companies making older products such as electric light manufacturers (who actually make the lights used) learned this 100 years ago.

Even tho I have a commander pro. I only use it for rgb. All my fans are connected to the motherboard and are controlled though bios. 

The only bios I don't like for fan controls is asus. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rgb fan control.   The term “fancontrol” includes both rgb and non rgb.  Old school non rgb fan control was from the bios which is fundamentally better than an app that runs on top of windows which runs on top of bios even when it’s chunkier.

how many of the "FanControll" apps does RGB and speed?

not asus but dont know about the others

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

how many of the "FanControll" apps does RGB and speed?

not asus but dont know about the others

All of them do speed, but of course they don’t do RGB control except possibly for their own line of fans.  Companies did that on purpose. There WAS a standard made by the lighting manufacturers before computer peripheral manufacturers even got involved, but everyone thought they would be king so they all made their own and the consumers pay the price.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

All of them do speed, but of course they don’t do RGB control except possibly for their own line of fans.  Companies did that on purpose. There WAS a standard made by the lighting manufacturers before computer peripheral manufacturers even got involved, but everyone thought they would be king so they all made their own and the consumers pay the price.

when why do u say  " The term “fancontrol” includes both rgb and non rgb"

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

when why do u say  " The term “fancontrol” includes both rgb and non rgb"

There are computers that have no rgb on them to control.  For a very long time there were fans that had automatic controls but no rgb at all. There are still consumer PC fans that have no rgb at all.  Whole companies even that do not put rgb in any of their products. If “fancontrol” is the trade name of an app that does that that is one thing, but fan control and rgb control are different even if there are apps that do both.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are computers that have no rgb on them to control.  For a very long time there were fans that had automatic controls but no rgb at all. There are still consumer PC fans that have no rgb at all.  Whole companies even that do not put rgb in any of their products. If “fancontrol” is the trade name of an app that does that that is one thing, but fan control and rgb control are different even if there are apps that do both.

Yes cuz FanControl is just Curves for FanSpeed  or options for staticspeeds. 
And Icue is just soooo much better than any other option of controlling fan speeds. And commander pro is the only corsair product i use 😛

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

Yes cuz FanControl is just Curves for FanSpeed  or options for staticspeeds. 
And Icue is just soooo much better than any other option of controlling fan speeds. And commander pro is the only corsair product i use 😛

There is only one variable though: voltage, which controls fan speed.  It can vary according to cpu heat via temperature detection according to a curve.  Run the fan at this speed at this temp.  That’s what a fan curve is. There just isn’t anything else TO control. There might be something where you could set a different curve according to what was running, but that could only be even barely useful in edge situations and most of the time would even be a detriment. I don’t think what you are saying is possible. 

Edited by Bombastinator

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There is only one variable though: voltage, which controls fan speed.  

PWM wants to talk to u

I don’t think what you are saying is possible. 

What do u mean?

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

PWM wants to talk to u

What do u mean?

I mean that what you said, that a complex, famously buggy windows app is vastly better at controlling fans than an average bios is ridiculous.  There are bad bioses.  I’ve even heard of one that had only four pre done settings for fan control and there was no control of curve at all.  There have always been windows level apps for such situations.  One that comes to mind is speedfan, which was even popular.  It WASN’T often used for controlling fans though even though it could.  It had readouts for other things that were useful.  It had a lot in common with CPUZ. which it predates and was largely supplanted by.  I even used speedfan and attempted to use it for fan control.  I went back to bios.  If windows goes wonky everything running on top of it goes wonky too. With a fan curve in bios things work even in windows crashes. 

I mean that what you said, that a complex, famously buggy windows app is vastly better at controlling fans than an average bios is ridiculous.  There are bad bioses.  I’ve even heard of one that had only four pre done settings for fan control and there was no control of curve at all.  There have always been windows level apps for such situations.  One that comes to mind is speedfan, which was even popular.  It WASN’T often used for controlling fans though even though it could.  It had readouts for other things that were useful.  It had a lot in common with CPUZ. which it predates and was largely supplanted by.  I even used speedfan and attempted to use it for fan control.  I went back to bios.  If windows goes wonky everything running on top of it goes wonky too. With a fan curve in bios things work even in windows crashes. 

I used Bios controll for MSI. Never ever again.
Asus is ok. but im the type of guy that wants to change from "I Can hear some fans without headset on" to "turn almost all fans off for a while" on the fly.

iCue has more "steps"(Dots on the curve line/Speed steps). and can use temp sensors(like on a wire) 

What Bios do you like so much?

32 minutes ago, NorKris said:

I used Bios controll for MSI. Never ever again.
Asus is ok. but im the type of guy that wants to change from "I Can hear some fans without headset on" to "turn almost all fans off for a while" on the fly.

iCue has more "steps"(Dots on the curve line/Speed steps). and can use temp sensors(like on a wire) 

What Bios do you like so much?

Bioses don’t stay the same.  Even a single manufacturer will have different ones for different boards and a later version of a bios for the the same board may have a different setup. Will some of them suck? Sure.  If they suck hard enough it is possible that using a windows app might be a batter option in some instances though. Windows based fan control comes with a big built in problem though that can’t be gotten around.  One so big that even a less convenient bios based fan control is often better than a windows based one. Sometimes a bios fan control does suck hard enough to make it worthwhile.  There are reasons they exist.  They’ve existed for a long time though.  And they got beat by bioses.  The big one, speedfan, became popular mostly for its non-fan based stuff and as soon as a free app came out that did those things it became far less often used.  The idea that an app that not only has bug problems, but resource hoarding problems, and compatibility problems somehow does something that many many apps did in the past better than any of them ever has and does it so much better that it beats the thing that beat them is laughable.  Even a not very good bios based fan app is often better to deal with in the long run than a windows based one.  Making a fan curve page just isn’t that hard.  There just isn’t all that much to it. You can get a few things by doing fan control in windows, but it’s not stuff that no other fan control program had before.  There were just too many of them.  If there was some sort of tech improvement it might be possible, but there hasn’t been one.

Edited by Bombastinator