How to create directories and files in the terminal on Linux Ubuntu

How to make files into a folder like this photo? There is a home directory on linux, right? And there are other directories in the home directory. Desktop, Pictures, Documents ... yes?

How to make a folder in the home directory with the terminal?

2.png

1.png

mkdir ~/foldername

mkdir = make directory

~ = the currently signed in users home directory (except for root who has a special folder)

foldername = whatever you want the folder to be

If you want to do it for other users then you need either SUDO or to be root then its

mkdir /home/username/foldername

or if you do have root its easier to just su to the user you want to edit and use the ~ alias.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, whispous said:

Pytasz jak stworzyć folder lub jak wyświetlić foldery jak na obrazku?

How to create a folder I know you need to write mkdir and the name of the folder. But I don't know how to create something like the picture

6 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Dodaj stronę do ulubionych:

https://ss64.com/bash/

Do tworzenia katalogów potrzebne jest polecenie mkdir.

Thanks for the command page. Are all the linux commands there?

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

mkdir ~/nazwa folderu

mkdir = utwórz katalog

~ = katalog domowy aktualnie zalogowanych użytkowników (z wyjątkiem roota, który ma specjalny folder)

nazwa folderu = dowolny folder, który ma być

Jeśli chcesz to zrobić dla innych użytkowników, potrzebujesz SUDO lub być rootem, wtedy jest

mkdir /home/nazwa użytkownika/nazwa folderu

lub jeśli masz root, łatwiej jest po prostu podpisać użytkownika, którego chcesz edytować i użyć aliasu ~.

To create something like the picture you need to have a root?

5 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

How to create a folder I know you need to write mkdir and the name of the folder. But I don't know how to create something like the picture

You cannot just create a picture out of nothing. If you mean create an empty file then the command you want is touch.

For example...

touch ~/Documents/picture.jpeg

...would create an empty file in your Documents folder called picture.jpeg.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, GamerGry123 said:

To create something like the picture you need to have a root?

In someone else's home directory yes, in your own home directory no.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nie można po prostu stworzyć obrazu z niczego. Jeśli masz na myśli utworzenie pustego pliku, to poleceniem, które chcesz, jest dotyk.

Na przykład...

dotknij ~/Dokumenty/obraz.jpeg

...utworzy pusty plik w folderze Dokumenty o nazwie picture.jpeg.

Okay, and you don't need root for that? I know that this is how the file is created.

W cudzym katalogu domowym tak, we własnym katalogu domowym nie.

My point is that you have a home directory in the file explorer, in it directories desktop, documents, images and others, in it I want to create a directory using commands

Okay, and you don't need root for that? I know that this is how the file is created.

If you're creating something in your own home folder no you don't need root.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Jeśli tworzysz coś we własnym katalogu domowym, nie potrzebujesz roota.

Okay, but with the terminal I don't know how to do it, you can do it by clicking the mouse but I don't know how to write the command

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Jeśli tworzysz coś we własnym katalogu domowym, nie potrzebujesz roota.

Why, as I write in the tree command as in the picture, it does not show standard directories such as document, images?

My point is that you have a home directory in the file explorer, in it directories desktop, documents, images and others, in it I want to create a directory using commands

Oh I think I understand now, you need to install the tree package, if you're on Ubuntu its

sudo apt install tree

then you just use tree instead of ls

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Och, myślę, że teraz rozumiem, musisz zainstalować pakiet drzewa, jeśli jesteś na Ubuntu to

drzewo instalacji sudo apt

wtedy po prostu używasz drzewa zamiast ls

Well, now everything works, but I knew how to do it all folders files but because I didn't know how to show them I thought they were not in the home directory. Thanks

Och, myślę, że teraz rozumiem, musisz zainstalować pakiet drzewa, jeśli jesteś na Ubuntu to

drzewo instalacji sudo apt

wtedy po prostu używasz drzewa zamiast ls

How to delete a selected file or folder with a command?

Delete a file with...

rm filename (if its in the current directory)

or

rm /file/path/here (to specify an absolute path)

Delete a folder with...

rm -R /folder/path/here

*note the R must be a capital otherwise it won't work.

Deleting a folder will also delete any files it contains.

-= Topic moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

man ls

Hit the / key, type recursive and press enter.  Hit q when done.  That's assuming you are using English as default language.

15 hours ago, heimdali said:

man ls

Hit the / key, type recursive and press enter.  Hit q when done.  That's assuming you are using English as default language.

that view is done with tree, not ls

@10leej

Right, yet ls may also be helpful.  Tree can be somewhat unwieldly and take quite a while for displaying directories, especially when you're trying to learn how create a directory structure or when you have more than a few files in one.

Last time I used tree must have been in the 90ies when it was cool to have a program that could produce fancy output like that, and I had forgotten about it 🙂  Aside from the coolness I never found it very useful.

Hm, it's still cool, though, and has lots of options.  Maybe I should use it more often.  Interestingly, it's installed by default on Fedora Workstation.