... How bad it is using 100 Mbps network with a NAS that streams movies from it?

TukangUsapEmenq

Before you guys even think "why tf such stupid question is even here", yes, I'm very well, and fully, and totally, aware of that (theoretically) 12.5 MB/s is a total bottleneck for even a decent local server use.

Yet, I'm curious of the experience if you guys ever had something like so, because I happen to plan to do one (existing parts already, got the 8-port switch, that's why), NAS using an old laptop and an old HDD with enough movies for a family, but I really want to know how worse it is to use it.

And for the sake of sanity, no "get a gigabit". I'd get a gigabit switch if I can afford it. Yes, I'm that broke. I won't implement the NAS if it's worse than using external drive anyway.

Plus, I kind of hate internet with wireless, sometimes they tend to went *oof crap is dis* with the latency, so I'd go for wired one when the OpenWRT router arrives (planned to use an Android STB with OpenWRT, why not a real-consumer decent router? Because I'm broke and that solution's cheap for 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of ROM + it's microSD). That 12.5 MB/s won't be a bottleneck at all as the peak internet speed's 4 MB/s here anyway.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Depends on the bitrate, but most movies are well under 100mbit, you should be able to stream a few movies at once on a 100m connection.

But a gig switch is like 15 bucks, really not that bad.

Well,  720p "scene releases" are around 4-10 mbps , 1080p videos are usually 10-15 mbps on average, maybe with some bursts up to 40 mbps

A nas should be able to handle 2-3 simultaneous viewers.

But seriously, a 5 port gigabit switch is 10$ with free shipping. You don't say the location and you complain about internet bandwidth so I can only assume it's some crap island or remote place but still...

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the bitrate, but most movies are well under 100mbit, you should be able to stream a few movies at once on a 100m connection.

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well,  720p "scene releases" are around 4-10 mbps , 1080p videos are usually 10-15 mbps on average, maybe with some bursts up to 40 mbps

Well, good to know if it would still works fine. And seeing the bitrates of the movies itself.. Nvm even going gigabit, smaller than I thought lol

You don't say the location and you complain about internet bandwidth so I can only assume it's some crap island or remote place but still...

In fairness, getting 32 Mbps, 40 ping, or little bit more, with 0.07 USD per GB data plan (well, still not as efficient as fiber as we can't totally freely to stream, but back again to financial status), is still totally enough for me (and I'm not complaining actually), actually considering it fast enough for my use. Totally a lot better than a decade ago that I had to leave my laptop for 5 days just for a 7 GB download. Ah, these days.

It ain't fast in some standards (especially on the states), but it's there enough for most cases, and it's definitely still enough than ever. Well, can't really blame it, Indonesia got a lot of islands to cover.

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But a gig switch is like 15 bucks, really not that bad.

But seriously, a 5 port gigabit switch is 10$ with free shipping.

I know it's not that bad, actually. But...

If I really need it, I'd totally get it (hence if you saw my post before asking for advice for router). But as it's actually kind of only a 'side-project' as the NAS isn't much of a priority yet. Main priority's I got a decent wired connection for less latency issues. 

Well, probably later. Although I must say using FE for data transfer sucks.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

On paper, the maximum bitrate of a UHD BD remux is 144mbps.  On paper.  They're always way less to trade off bitrate for runtime on a disc.

For a BD the paper max is 54mbps, so even a speced out max BD won't saturate 100mbps networking.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

3 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Yet, I'm curious of the experience if you guys ever had something like so, because

Both my parents are watching Live TV via Plex, each Stream is 4 Mbps. So 8 Mbps of bandwidth being used. Mind you this is 480p or 720p content.  Yeah, you should be fine. However, I do know that if you were to try to stream the best ripped quality 4K Bluray, you might hit a limit. Ive heard high quality 4K Bluray streams via Plex can use more than 100 Mbps. If your just doing 1080p or lower content, I wouldn't expect to have an issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.