Is it worth investing an Xbox X Series CONTROLLER for PC Gaming?

EClinus1999
Go to solution Solved by Daethz,

Playing on my xbox series x controller is identical to if i was playing on a xbox, minus the middle button functionality, but i think I might have disabled that myself.

Grab a nice recharge battery pack for it and prevent a landfill of your spent batterys and of course the wireless dongle for it

Hello there!

Noob question here.

I need help into deciding whether should I consider buying a controller solely for my gaming PC only. I do not own any Xbox console (never had one either). I was wondering if I could have the same experience as playing at my PS4 that it the controller provides a haptic feedback during gameplay.

When I buy the Xbox X Series Controller and play some games at my PC, will it also give that haptic feedback experience?

Thank you.

Eman

Edited by EClinus1999
added something

Microsoft controllers have wide support on Windows. Especially Windows 10 and newer.

Compared to PlayStation controllers, where you would generally need to use a lot of third party software with somewhat iffy support and stability.

I personally use the original Xbox Elite controller and it works perfectly fine. All the features you expect the controller to have, works perfectly fine on Windows.

If you wish to use an Xbox One or newer controller wirelessly, then check out the official 2.4GHz dongle by Microsoft. There's two versions, an old chunky one, and the latest slim and small one. They both work just as well as each other. However, you can always just use Bluetooth (if your PC/Laptop has a Bluetooth adapter) or as a Wired controller.

Playing on my xbox series x controller is identical to if i was playing on a xbox, minus the middle button functionality, but i think I might have disabled that myself.

Grab a nice recharge battery pack for it and prevent a landfill of your spent batterys and of course the wireless dongle for it

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

Just use your ps4 controller. With Steam there's no need for any third party software to get it working. Pair it with bluetooth and you're good to go. Steam and ps emulators have native support for it. Only thing that may not work with it over bluetooth is epic shit launcher. 

3 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Just use your ps4 controller. With Steam there's no need for any third party software to get it working. Pair it with bluetooth and you're good to go. Steam and ps emulators have native support for it. Only thing that may not work with it over bluetooth is epic shit launcher. 

This may be true, but the PS Emulator you are referring to only recently got support for controllers directly too, which is something to mention. Not only that, but the reason why software needs to support it manually with their own differing codebases is because Sony is seemingly refusing or not helping create OS-drivers for the controllers.

However, there are for the Xbox controllers which is why it's simply a plug-and-play (on anything in any software) experience.

1 minute ago, rlaphoenix said:

This may be true, but the PS Emulator you are referring to only recently got support for controllers directly too, which is something to mention. Not only that, but the reason why software needs to support it manually with their own differing codebases is because Sony is seemingly refusing or not helping create OS-drivers for the controllers.

What. PCSX2 and RPCS3 (ps2 and ps3 emulators) have had native support for dualshock 4 controllers and likely have since they came out. I'm sure EPSXE and PPSSPP do as well. If someone is using a playstation controller on pc they are likely playing games on steam or a playstation emulator. Both of which have native support. Not sure what your point is that they don't have os drivers. Only thing that may not work is malware games launcher.

8 minutes ago, Fungal said:

What. PCSX2 and RPCS3 (ps2 and ps3 emulators) have had native support for dualshock 4 controllers and likely have since they came out. I'm sure EPSXE and PPSSPP do as well. If someone is using a playstation controller on pc they are likely playing games on steam or a playstation emulator. Both of which have native support. Not sure what your point is that they don't have os drivers. Only thing that may not work is malware games launcher.

I don't know about PCSX2, but I was in fact referring to RPCS3 which only received native support a month or two ago. Steam has had native support for a fair while now though.

35 minutes ago, rlaphoenix said:

I don't know about PCSX2, but I was in fact referring to RPCS3 which only received native support a month or two ago. Steam has had native support for a fair while now though.

You are thinking of dualsense support. RPCS3 has supported ds4 at the very least since I have been using it which was mid 2020

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, Fungal said:

Just an update. Just used a FAKE dualshock 4 controller and I've successfully configured it with STEAM. It recognized it as a real ds4, and it works like you are playing directly from PS4. Haptics and everything.

The only problem is that the QTE buttons displayed at the video game which are designed for XBOX controllers (the ones that are X,Y,A,B show instead of the Sony's PS shapes square, triangle, circle and the X) which confusing (bit annoying). At least I don't have to buy another controller which I don't have a lot money for it atm...

Thank you for your insight!