Is a Little Bit of Image Retention Normal?

skillz22

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (IPS display panel, 165Hz, 2560 x 1600, 16"), and I've noticed very slight image retention occurring with the display. If I have high contrasty content (particularly UI) on the display for maybe 10-15 mins, then I switch to a the grey color at the Rtings image retention test:

I can see the outlines of the UI. Furthermore, when I run the above test properly by playing back the video, after initial 10 mins, there are some faint outlines of the Rtings logos faintly visible on the display.

My only problem is, this issue basically unnoticeable during normal use, meaning I really don't even notice it unless I get up the grey color tone from the video above, and turn the brightness on the display all the way up to max. I'd prefer not to have to send my device back for repair, so I was wondering whether this small amount of image retention on the display can be considered normal? Or whether it is actually defective?

Totally normal, especially with high contrast images at high brightness. HERE IS some additional reading from rtings.com on the subject if you haven't already seen it.

If you don't notice it during normal use at reasonable brightness levels there's nothing to worry about.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Totally normal, especially with high contrast images at high brightness. HERE IS some additional reading from rtings.com on the subject if you haven't already seen it.

If you don't notice it during normal use at reasonable brightness levels there's nothing to worry about.

I see. The thing that had me worried was that this was the first time that I had ever experienced the issue with a display. Any reasons why this may be happening with this particular display?

It's far less common on non-OLED displays. Per that article I linked they indicate IPS may be more prone to it versus TN or VA, but as far as which panels do and which don't comes down to quality of the panel and luck. I don't know much about your particular display to know if it uses a cheap panel or a more premium one.

If it really bothers you and you're in the RMA window you can try that route. But, if using it at a reasonable brightness level with normal content doesn't create issues I wouldn't go through the hassle if it was me.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Some image retention is normal when testing for a worse-case scenario. But as long as it's not permanent there is nothing to worry about.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.