GPU Usage don't get over ~30

3dgr9
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

Minecraft is very CPU heavy. Even if you would combine a 5900X with a 1660 it would still not get 100% GPU usage. If you lower your render distance to something like 8 or 10 it should become playable again. Also mods like Sodium and Starlight help out a lot.

With my 10400F and 5500 XT I also get 100 ish FPS with your settings and Optifine installed. With the mods and 12 render distance I get like 500.

Hey guys,

I have another problem with my new lite "gaming" rig.

System:

Ryzen 2400G

AsRock B450M Pro4

GTX 770 4Gb

16GB 3000Mhz

So my problem is I tested my GPU in Minecraft and with highest settings and 20 render range. But I just get like 30-40 fps (with GPU oc!!). 

My GPU temperatures are not getting over 37°C while full hd and CPU temps are 40°C-45°C.

The gpu load /usage is while gaming between 20-40%... So there is muuuuuch space for getting higher fps...

Has anyone an idea?

4 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

CPU load per core?

I will write and check when I'm home 😄

But I don't think it's because of the CPU, do you?

This is a CPU bottleneck.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Minecraft is always CPU limited unless you're running super heavy shaders. That's about the fps I would expect from a 2400G, so lower your render range if you want more FPS. Even high end CPUs struggle above ~16 in Java edition.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Minecraft is very CPU heavy. Even if you would combine a 5900X with a 1660 it would still not get 100% GPU usage. If you lower your render distance to something like 8 or 10 it should become playable again. Also mods like Sodium and Starlight help out a lot.

With my 10400F and 5500 XT I also get 100 ish FPS with your settings and Optifine installed. With the mods and 12 render distance I get like 500.

Okay this is worth a try but even then I'm confused. I could say for sure that CPU load /usage is really not more than 50-60% D:

On other forums some people have the same problem like I have. 

38 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Minecraft is always CPU limited unless you're running super heavy shaders. That's about the fps I would expect from a 2400G, so lower your render range if you want more FPS. Even high end CPUs struggle above ~16 in Java edition.

Can confirm: Both my 3700X and 5600X start to drop off fps over 16 chunks render distance. Up to 16 chunks i'm basically locked to 200 fps. Over that i steadily drop fps with each step up in render distance.

13 minutes ago, 3dgr9 said:

Okay this is worth a try but even then I'm confused. I could say for sure that CPU load /usage is really not more than 50-60% D:

Your GPU is basically idling because it has to do next to no work to keep up with your CPU. Rendering minecraft without shaders is a trivial task for any half-modern GPU. You can be CPU limited even if it's not at 100% utilization.

Install the Optifine Mod and see if it changes for the better. Other than that there is nothing you can do.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

35 minutes ago, 3dgr9 said:

That's because Minecraft isn't optimised for using multiple cores. I think it only uses 1 or 2. If it shows 100% it means it's using all cores. Try enabling every core in Afterburner and see what they are like, but I'm pretty sure you're CPU bottlenecked as a 2400G simply isn't made for 20 chunks

Running performance optimization mods may help for multi core usage. You can also allocate more RAM to the game which should help a litle bit (I recommend giving it 8gb)

I have a 10400F and 5500 XT, which is a better CPU and much better GPU, and still get 40-50fps with your settings and no mods.

Thanks for all the answers. I'm back home in 2h and will try mods like sodium, optifine, 16 chunks etc.

I will post my experiences later that day👍

2 hours ago, 3dgr9 said:

But I don't think it's because of the CPU, do you?

I do

1 hour ago, 3dgr9 said:

I could say for sure that CPU load /usage is really not more than 50-60%

You have to look at the CPU usage per core. One core 100% is a cpu bottlekneck.

So guys the problem is solved finally solved 🙂

I have installed Optifine for 1.17.1 and turned all settings to the highest or I think in Minecraft it's called "beautiful" or something. 20 Chunks.

Antialising and anistropic filtering I have left on "zero".

Locked my fps to 60 (because not the best cooling and only 400w PSU, 60Hz) and voila: Stable at 60fps.

- CPU:

First and fourth core are between 30-50%

Second and third are 5-15%

Logical cores like 0-10%

Temps for all cores 45-50°C

- RAM:

~7000Mb while gaming

- GPU:

Usage is between 25-40%

Vram I think like 2000-3000Mb

Temps are very freakin good with 39-45°C