why did ati sell itself to amd?

adarw

was ait going bankrupt or something? was there a reason to sell to amd?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

It seems you have no clue on how corporate world works. If you were to check wikipedia page, you would have seen:

Spoiler

The acquisition of ATI in 2006 was important to AMD's strategic development of its Fusion generation (APUs) of computer processors, which integrated general processing abilities with graphics processing functions within a chip.

On July 24, 2006, a joint announcement revealed that Advanced Micro Devices would acquire ATI in a deal valued at $5.6 billion. The acquisition consideration closed on October 25, 2006, and included over $2 billion financed from a loan and 56 million shares of AMD stock. ATI's operations became part of the AMD Graphics Product Group (GPG),and ATI's CEO Dave Orton became the Executive Vice President of Visual and Media Businesses at AMD until his resignation in 2007. The top-level management was reorganized with the Senior Vice President and General Manager, and the Senior Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Electronics Group, both of whom would report to the CEO of AMD. On 30 August 2010, John Trikola announced that AMD would retire the ATI brand for its graphics chipsets in favor of the AMD name.

There is a price for anything in the corporate world, it made sense for AMD to buy ATI and it apparently made sense for ATI shareholders to sell the company to AMD. Owners of ATI Technologies were given shares in AMD and also cash.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

It seems you have no clue on how corporate world works. 

i mean that is mostly correct....

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Hide contents

The acquisition of ATI in 2006 was important to AMD's strategic development of its Fusion generation (APUs) of computer processors, which integrated general processing abilities with graphics processing functions within a chip.

On July 24, 2006, a joint announcement revealed that Advanced Micro Devices would acquire ATI in a deal valued at $5.6 billion. The acquisition consideration closed on October 25, 2006, and included over $2 billion financed from a loan and 56 million shares of AMD stock. ATI's operations became part of the AMD Graphics Product Group (GPG),and ATI's CEO Dave Orton became the Executive Vice President of Visual and Media Businesses at AMD until his resignation in 2007. The top-level management was reorganized with the Senior Vice President and General Manager, and the Senior Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Electronics Group, both of whom would report to the CEO of AMD. On 30 August 2010, John Trikola announced that AMD would retire the ATI brand for its graphics chipsets in favor of the AMD name.

There is a price for anything in the corporate world, it made sense for AMD to buy ATI and it apparently made sense for ATI shareholders to sell the company to AMD. Owners of ATI Technologies were given shares in AMD and also cash.

ohh that makes sense thanks!

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

14 hours ago, Levent said:

It seems you have no clue on how corporate world works. If you were to check wikipedia page, you would have seen:

Reveal hidden contents

'They were a public company' is a far nicer way to put this.

Going public is almost always the problem. Then, the focus shifts from the customer.

15 hours ago, Levent said:

Hide contents

I hope some people held on to their shares lol

image.png.44c618aed4ce510a51771abd78db0119.png

15 hours ago, adarw said:

was ait going bankrupt or something? was there a reason to sell to amd?

AMD needed the graphics patents and the actual gpu cores for integrated graphics, and back then if my memory is correct intel was killing in laptops with centrino and core processors with integrated graphics ...  so amd had to do something or they risked being stuck without graphics.

It made sense for AMD to buy ATi, ATi didn't need to sell out to AMD however... i don't think we're getting the whole story here...

Also AMD cleverly sold off ATi's mobile division,  biggest mistake ever. Its now called ADRENO instead of previously  R A D E O N ... 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity