is your modern phone overkill?

adarw

is your modern phone overkill?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. is your phone overkill?

• no they are ok.
    • yes i dont see why they need such power.

i feel like modern phones have been really overkill, i dont have any uses for phones other than social media and phone calls, but some other people might have other uses, but do they really need 8gb of ram? what do you think?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

My phone is far from modern, it is a 7yr old Huawei Honor 7, my main complaints is that it doesnt have much storage and that reddit sometimes crashes, but just restarting fixes it. Also games arent that smooth on it

Yes and no for me. Technology is advancing, so are phones. We don't have less issues of phones getting slow over time or batteries getting worse quickly over time, but still I think they need to advance. iPhone for example, remember when 16GB was the minimum storage? These days that would be literally unusable as 4K filming takes a lot of space. On the other hand, having 1TB storage, phones with 16GB RAM or maybe more than 4 cameras can be overkill in some kind of ways. I think the tech is nice, but it's not worth paying well over $1000 for a phone. They're comparing to PC specs almost, I'd rather get a PC or upgrade mine for the money if I had to choose.

My phone is not overkill. Some are. 

I just bought mobile phones, when a useful feature arrived or the last one became very old. 

My first one could transfer files via IR only and it couldnt even play mp3s. 

My second phone could play mp3 and it supported Bluetooth. 

My third phone had wifi and a touch screen. I kept it for 7 years until I replaced it with a new one with the same functions. 

There's nothing more I need. 

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

5 hours ago, adarw said:

i feel like modern phones have been really overkill, i dont have any uses for phones other than social media and phone calls, but some other people might have other uses, but do they really need 8gb of ram? what do you think?

My new galaxy a12 has 3gb of ram and a mediatek helio p35. The a12 is a budget minded smartphone and i never have performance issues. My only complaint is that my particular one only has 32gb of internal storage, which ive taken care of with a 128gb sd card

Screen protection for sure ain't overkill enough.

I think software can't keep up. Still no decent emulator for phones to run x86 games. Can use big external monitor, keyboard, but stuck with arm CPU optimized apps.

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

Screen protection for sure ain't overkill enough.

I think software can't keep up. Still no decent emulator for phones to run x86 games. Can use big external monitor, keyboard, but stuck with arm CPU optimized apps.

I use cheap aliexpress tempered glass screen protectors and they have been working fine, has fallen multiple times, and the protector has taken the impact

Yes and no, my redmi note 3 pro can be called high end when it's launch but 3-4 yrs later?, Not so much

48 minutes ago, adarw said:

but some other people might have other uses, but do they really need 8gb of ram? what do you think?

Mostly for games and it's also pretty stupid to have phone with latest cpu or whatever and have only 4gb of ram, although going more than 8gb is kinda diminishing returns imo

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Overkill for who? Overkill for what? Shitty title.

Anyways, my phone is not overkill for what I do and I could argue that I do more than what %90 of the people do with their phones while paying %75 less than what average person pays for a smartphone. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Overkill for who? Overkill for what? Shitty title.

Anyways, my phone is not overkill for what I do and I could argue that I do more than what %90 of the people do with their phones while paying %75 less than what average person pays for a smartphone. 

true my bad, should start thinking about titles more.

-----------------

#

Modern phones are e-waste. Blame software developers that dont know how to write anything that doesnt need a ton of ram and cpu power. Their heads would spin if they saw a machine with 8mb of ram playing a video just fine

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Modern phones are e-waste. Blame software developers that dont know how to write anything that doesnt need a ton of ram and cpu power. Their heads would spin if they saw a machine with 8mb of ram playing a video just fine

I'd say it's the users who are to blame. The companies are just trying to sway their customers by trying to one-up the other company. So they keep adding more numbers.

And in the minds of most people, bigger number = better thing.

The developers are just getting a ton of computing power that they have no use for and figured that they can start to be sloppy since the hardware can take it.

For me? No, my S21 Ultra isn't overkill. Sure, I can get by with far less (I was using a Galaxy S9 up until a few months ago), but I don't consider this phone to be overkill. It does what I need it to without issue, and I can push it without dealing with slowdowns or crashes. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

27 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

I'd say it's the users who are to blame.

yeah the same users that were fine with 640x480 color tv for 50 years , sure they are to blame.

29 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

The companies are just trying to sway their customers by trying to one-up the other company. So they keep adding more numbers.

yeah now youre on the right track

29 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

The developers are just getting a ton of computing power that they have no use for and figured that they can start to be sloppy since the hardware can take it.

exactly , blame developers

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

This and the push of consumerism.

We were challenged to program a game boy, color or advance game to run on a 486 system. I expected it to be a horrible undertaking. I wrote in c++ and honestly it was shocking how well it ran on test one. Near native performance as I went with a less is more mindset. I ended up getting duck tales 2 running with the first 3 levels and up to 320% speedup as I did bind the physics to the frame rate as that was just far more affordable to do for performance. Took me a week but duck tales 2 was basically made and all I had to do was just continue making levels. Someone else got full speed sonic team 2 running on the system but with simplified spriteart.

For me that was my eye opening thing of what the hell are we doing today. The amount of power we have at our fingertips is stupid yet we have devices that struggle with basic office applications whilst they are multiple times stronger than something that could do the same stuff in the past.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

honestly it was shocking how well it ran on test one.

i'd hope so considering a 486 is going to be like 50 times the speed of 8 bit consoles.

7 hours ago, emosun said:

I won't blame the developers. Because then I'll end up blaming myself which I don't like.

And like I said, sloppy developers are a result of manufacturers chasing numbers. Not the other way around. If anything, blame the manufacturers.

1 minute ago, Trinopoty said:

I won't blame the developers. Because then I'll end up blaming myself which I don't like.

And like I said, sloppy developers are a result of manufacturers chasing numbers. Not the other way around. If anything, blame the manufacturers.

so blame everyone?

-----------------

#

S20+, id say the cpu/gpu/ram might be overkill just because they can play phone games at max settings 120hz+

But nah, I'd like dramatically better battery life, a 4k screen at 240hz and the complete elimination of noticeable loading and buffering, like tap a web link and load faster than the human brain can transfer information from eye to brain, preferably.😉

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

10 hours ago, Trinopoty said:

i dont think i can blame people who aren't lazy making better hardware to people who are lazy making worse software

3 hours ago, emosun said:

i dont think i can blame people who aren't lazy making better hardware to people who are lazy making worse software

think about it like this: the software guy's laziness is forcing the hardware guys to make better hardware. so please thank the next lazy developer you see for the powerful hardware in your pocket

1 minute ago, Trinopoty said:

think about it like this: the software guy's laziness is forcing the hardware guys to make better hardware. so please thank the next lazy developer you see for the powerful hardware in your pocket

but the powerful hardware is expensive....

-----------------

#