Upgrade CPU from a i7 4790 to..? Help me figure out!

MagePepsi

Hello there guys! This forum really rocks, and so do you! Thanks for everyone that will reply to this topic, I dunno why the font is so black and big, anyway, I would like to ask you some advice for a possible upgrade! My rig currently has an i7 4790 cpu, asus h97 pro motherboard, a msi armor 1070 gtx nvidia geforce, 16 gb of ddr3 ram and a shitty psu, I know that it is still not time for a gpu upgrade (doe for the high prices etc but also because my card is really Great for what i do: fighting games, some triple AAA games like nier, dmc, doom etc) but my cpu is really becoming quite old for emulators(I mean it is still usable, but I would like to change it) Is the new Intel core i5 11600k a good replacement? What about the motherboard?( I really do not know what to pick, I'm completely ignorant in this matter) also... Some good PSUs? Thank you kindly for any response(As for the budget... No probs there, of course I would like to save as much as possible but also be able to pick a good bang for my bucks!) also sorry for my english 😞

I'd go for a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and a MSI B550-A Pro for your CPU/motherboard combo. Both are really good and don't break the bank.

As for your PSU i'd go for a Corsair RMx 750W so you can upgrade your GPU in the future without any issues.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd go for a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and a MSI B550-A Pro for your CPU/motherboard combo. Both are really good and don't break the bank.

As for your PSU i'd go for a Corsair RMx 750W so you can upgrade your GPU in the future without any issues.

I wouldn't recommend the corsair one based on my friend's and multiple people's experience with bad noise issues, but EVGA and seasonic have good offers!

1 minute ago, Blenderdick Flubbercrack said:

I wouldn't recommend the corsair one based on my friend's and multiple people's experience with bad noise issues, but EVGA and seasonic have good offers!

I didn't have any issues with all the RMx's i used in my build and the ones i did for my friends. And the RMx series have shown to handle the power spikes from the latest gen GPUs very well from what i know.

I did have to switch out my 650W RMx due to noise (coil whine and loud fan), but that was after i installed a 3080. That combined with the rest of my build was just too much to ask of the 650W unit. After that i switched to a 850W RMx and everything is working perfectly and the PSU is inaudible no matter the load.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Blenderdick Flubbercrack said:

but EVGA and seasonic have good offers!

you just named 2 brands with problems with their psus. not all, but definetely more than Corsair has for example

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

you just named 2 brands with problems with their psus. not all, but definetely more than Corsair has for example

At least it's not Gigabyte XDD

Just now, Blenderdick Flubbercrack said:

At least it's not Gigabyte XDD

true. but Seasonich has the most problems now, EVGA is not just good enough ofr the price. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Thank you everyone for all the replies!! FINALLY I'm going to upgrade this damn rig,I'm really hyped...just really don't know what psu should I buy, Can someone give me some advice for a solid one? I'm going to buy all the pieces right away!! 

do note you need to buy ram as well, also you need to quote or tag the person for a reply or else they wont see it.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, MagePepsi said:

Thank you everyone for all the replies!! FINALLY I'm going to upgrade this damn rig,I'm really hyped...just really don't know what psu should I buy, Can someone give me some advice for a solid one? I'm going to buy all the pieces right away!! 

Hello, the smartest choice you can make depends on the country you live in as the products relative prices vary a lot. It would be great if you tell us your country and budget! 

with that said in the australian market rn. The smatest cpus to buy in tiers are as follows 5600x(beats the 11600k in value and mobo is marginally cheaper as well for it) 10600kf(prices really cheap on old gen then 10400f(dirt cheap good enough for gaming, but it is better to get the 10600kf if you can afford it.)

to choose your cpu, start with the first one and go down based on your budget. Honestly 10600kf is good enough for gaming rn. 

I didnt recommend a 8 core cpu because I dont think you need it. And in the distant future you can sell the cpu and upgrade aecond hand to a 8 core cpu when it is needed 4 years from now?

the motherboard choice REALLY depends on your country. So cant tell you smth. You sort by price and then going higher in price you pinpoint 2 different types of boards to make your decision:

First you find the board with the best mosfets on the cheapest price tier; and hope it is good enough to easily oc an 5600x. You can necessitate 4 ram slots depending on your upgrade path plans in this analysis.
And then for the next tier you look for a board that has mosfets good enough to run a 5950x with acceptable temperatures stock. And you hit that point the cheapast you can. 

depending on you future upgrade plan you choose 1 of those 2. First one is generally the level you want.

other types of motherboards you start looking at if you have specific requirements honestly but it doesnt sound like you do. Except potentially wanting wifi and bluetooth. İf that is the case you still do the same thing. I on the other hand prefer to get an aftermarket cheap dongle instead of buying a premiun for mobo. And you can carry the dongle forward(yaayy!!) 

What's your budget? When do you want to upgrade you GPU? What use case?

If you want better CPU just for emulated games, and don't intend to upgrade GPU soon or to a mid-high tier one - then currently best value mid-end CPU is 10400f. 10600Kf is also an option but it's only a few % better. 11400f (again 11600k only a few % better) is next option. 5600X after that. It really depends a lot on how much are you willing to spend and if you intend to upgrade graphics card.

I'm editing this post because i forgot to quote, sorry 😞 see below for the reply, thank you kindly

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

6 hours ago, Blenderdick Flubbercrack said:

6 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

6 hours ago, adarw said:

do note you need to buy ram as well, also you need to quote or tag the person for a reply or else they wont see it.

4 hours ago, kamisis12 said:

Hello, the smartest choice you can make depends on the country you live in as the products relative prices vary a lot. It would be great if you tell us your country and budget! 

with that said in the australian market rn. The smatest cpus to buy in tiers are as follows 5600x(beats the 11600k in value and mobo is marginally cheaper as well for it) 10600kf(prices really cheap on old gen then 10400f(dirt cheap good enough for gaming, but it is better to get the 10600kf if you can afford it.)

to choose your cpu, start with the first one and go down based on your budget. Honestly 10600kf is good enough for gaming rn. 

I didnt recommend a 8 core cpu because I dont think you need it. And in the distant future you can sell the cpu and upgrade aecond hand to a 8 core cpu when it is needed 4 years from now?

the motherboard choice REALLY depends on your country. So cant tell you smth. You sort by price and then going higher in price you pinpoint 2 different types of boards to make your decision:

First you find the board with the best mosfets on the cheapest price tier; and hope it is good enough to easily oc an 5600x. You can necessitate 4 ram slots depending on your upgrade path plans in this analysis.
And then for the next tier you look for a board that has mosfets good enough to run a 5950x with acceptable temperatures stock. And you hit that point the cheapast you can. 

depending on you future upgrade plan you choose 1 of those 2. First one is generally the level you want.

other types of motherboards you start looking at if you have specific requirements honestly but it doesnt sound like you do. Except potentially wanting wifi and bluetooth. İf that is the case you still do the same thing. I on the other hand prefer to get an aftermarket cheap dongle instead of buying a premiun for mobo. And you can carry the dongle forward(yaayy!!) 

1 hour ago, Ydfhlx said:

What's your budget? When do you want to upgrade you GPU? What use case?

If you want better CPU just for emulated games, and don't intend to upgrade GPU soon or to a mid-high tier one - then currently best value mid-end CPU is 10400f. 10600Kf is also an option but it's only a few % better. 11400f (again 11600k only a few % better) is next option. 5600X after that. It really depends a lot on how much are you willing to spend and if you intend to upgrade graphics card.

Thank you everyone for all these replies, didn't really expect so much help!! Thanks really! I live in italy! I don't have a fixed budget, but i Would like to not go beyond 600 euros, as for now the amd ryzen 5600x. + msi b550 a pro+ 16gb of ram(ddr4 3200 corsair vengeance) are costing me like 400 euro... Which is Great!! The only problem are.. My noctua ‎NH-U9B SE2 cooler is not compatible with am4 socket so together with a new psu... I'm going to spend like 600 euro(still ok though), yes! I would like to upgrade my gpu in the near future(when the price are going to drop) and I pretty much play AAA games with a full hd monitor (not interested in 2k/4k etc) and various emulators! 

2 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

The only problem are.. My noctua ‎NH-U9B SE2 cooler is not compatible with am4 socket

Contact Noctua, i can almost guarantee they will send you a matching mounting kit for your cooler if one exists. (For free)

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Contact Noctua, i can almost guarantee they will send you a matching mounting kit for your cooler if one exists. (For free)

I Found out just now that the conversion kit for am4 is just 8 euro on amazon, so I'm not gonna even bother them for so little money! I'll buy it directly, thanks!

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Is the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI any different from the msi b550 a pro? The first costs 40 euro less than the other and has also wifi, (100 euro Vs 140)

What's the prices like in your region? I find the 10400f is normally much cheaper than the 5600X, and you probably won't notice the difference if you don't constantly look at benchmarks. The 10700 normally goes for around the 5600x and is not too much slower + you get 8 cores for some breathing room for future games. Don't forget consoles are already 8 cores! You also have more multitasking ability, i.e. running background programs while gaming.

55 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Is the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI any different from the msi b550 a pro? The first costs 40 euro less than the other and has also wifi, (100 euro Vs 140)

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI as the name implies has wifi for one. Also has weaker VRM's, smaller heat sinks, less expandability, and smaller form factor. Depending on the case, some people find an MATX mobo looks too small in it, others think it's fine. If you're looking to use 5600X, MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI will be good enough. If you're looking to swap the CPU later in the future, MSI B550 A-Pro will handle up to the ryzen 9 5900X pretty well.

Edit: also wanted to add that AMD and Intel seem to be having a core war with the upcoming CPU's so all of the 6 vs 8 core might become irrelevant in 1-2 years.

make sure to sell the i7 and mobo and ram together locally.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

10 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

true. but Seasonich has the most problems now, EVGA is not just good enough ofr the price. 

What problems does Seasonic have?

The Corsair rmx is just fine and a quality psu.

1 hour ago, adarw said:

make sure to sell the i7 and mobo and ram together locally.

When I made the topic yesterday, I was sure to sell the older Components, but Now I'm not really sure, If i want to purchase a laptop as a second Pc(with my budget) I would be forced to pick less value pieces, the i7 4790 is still a good cpu, so maybe I'll just build a second rig out of the components that are going to be swapped with the new that all of you suggested... Same scenario for the 1070 That I'm using now, after I'll upgrade the gpu too, that one is going to be a part of the second rig, to me is best choice for now, it would be unwise to sell these older pieces and buy a less powerful laptop, also... Is the evga 750 bronze or gold psu any good for my new rig? Like are there any difference betweem them? I dunno what psu to choose ahaha

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

What's the prices like in your region? I find the 10400f is normally much cheaper than the 5600X, and you probably won't notice the difference if you don't constantly look at benchmarks. The 10700 normally goes for around the 5600x and is not too much slower + you get 8 cores for some breathing room for future games. Don't forget consoles are already 8 cores! You also have more multitasking ability, i.e. running background programs while gaming.

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI as the name implies has wifi for one. Also has weaker VRM's, smaller heat sinks, less expandability, and smaller form factor. Depending on the case, some people find an MATX mobo looks too small in it, others think it's fine. If you're looking to use 5600X, MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI will be good enough. If you're looking to swap the CPU later in the future, MSI B550 A-Pro will handle up to the ryzen 9 5900X pretty well.

Edit: also wanted to add that AMD and Intel seem to be having a core war with the upcoming CPU's so all of the 6 vs 8 core might become irrelevant in 1-2 years.

Can I ask you a mobo that is Great with the intel processor you suggested me? What are the difference between amd 5600x and the intel core one? ( except for the number of cores) 

5 hours ago, MagePepsi said:

I Found out just now that the conversion kit for am4 is just 8 euro on amazon, so I'm not gonna even bother them for so little money! I'll buy it directly, thanks!

Good call. I looked into it and they are quoting something like 8+ weeks for a free mounting kit. I went the Amazon route as well and had it overnight.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Can I ask you a mobo that is Great with the intel processor you suggested me? What are the difference between amd 5600x and the intel core one? ( except for the number of cores) 

Couple of Mobo options, just check prices in your area though:

MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI

Asus ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI

MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI

In terms of CPU difference, I think the 5600X is overall faster in benchmarks and it has higher IPC (by a bit). i7-10700 does have higher boost clocks, but draws more power.

Amazon have the 10700K (8/16) for US$270. imo it's the better buy vs the 5600X (6/12) which come in at US$273 and it's certainly the way I went. Whether you need it is a different question. At the time I bought my 10700K the 5600X wasn't close in price so it was the obvious choice.

That said, discounts on Intel CPUs in the UK haven't been as good as here in the US and Spain was a similar story, so I suspect that Italy will be the same. Peresonally speaking I'd go Intel with 8/16 unless it's more expensive than the AMD 6/12 option by €50 or more.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

13 hours ago, Jeppes said:

What problems does Seasonic have?

Prime and Focus series has problems with modern gpus. Some Focuses have been fixed, but its hard to know which are fixed and which are not

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler