32GB or 64GB of RAM ?? Help!

Hey,

I posted something similar to this yesterday but am hoping to get a few more opinions tonight before buying (that will hopefully tip the scales one way or the other xD). Right now I have two configs i'm looking at paring with a 5900x and asus b550-e : 4x8gb 3600mhz cl16 crucial ballistix rgb or 4x16gb 3600mhz cl16 crucial ballistix rgb. Both configs are four stick since crucial changed its 16gb dimms to single rank so in order for it to run as dual rank and to net a slight performance bump I require 4 dimms (not to be confused with dual channel btw). 

Unfortunately, due to my current system being incredibly lacklustre, I am not sure of what programs I would be using but what I can say is that I would like to create hyper realistic models / renders, interiors and even a virtual store that you can walk around in that is incredibly close to real life (similar to the thing that LG did). Other than that I would also be dabbling in game design and as a personal hobby would be designing prosthetics / supports for people with hypermobility eds. This machine would be my workhorse for the next 3-4 fours years until I upgrade or replace it so I would like as much headroom as possible / required in order to learn. I should also mention that I would have background tasks such as chrome, photoshop, discord etc open too. 

Right now I am a beginner however this is my main focus and I will be dedicating 90% of my time towards it 😄 . Plus this system will also double as my computer for my online uni course.

I hope this makes sense and I do apologies for posting a similar post,

Stay safe,

Lex.

What are the price differences between the two RAM kits???

What are the sub timings for both kits??? I know they're CL16, but the other timings can vary too. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Pricing is £199 for two kits of 2x8gb and £360 for two kits of 2x16gb, Sub-timings for both are 16-18-18-38 and they both use Micron E dies. Tbh ram pricing here in the uk is quite high, but both are affordable 😄  

Considering the price of ram is fairly cheap right now, honestly I’d just drop the cash on 64gb just in case.

I doubt you’d really use it in the meantime but if you get into some super high detail modeling you potentially could tap out above 32gb fairly quick.

Just now, 8tg said:

Considering the price of ram is fairly cheap right now, honestly I’d just drop the cash on 64gb just in case.

I doubt you’d really use it in the meantime but if you get into some super high detail modeling you potentially could tap out above 32gb fairly quick.

Ah pricing in the UK is a little steep compared to what it used to £360 for two kits of 2x16gb 3600mhz cl16, used to be £290-£300. I probs wont use 64gb initially as I am currently learning but I really dont want to have to replace my ram if I ever need 64gb. I think ill drop the cash xD, I guess no harm done if I over spec 

Thanks for the help!  

6 minutes ago, CriSis_ said:

Pricing is £199 for two kits of 2x8gb and £360 for two kits of 2x16gb, Sub-timings for both are 16-18-18-38 and they both use Micron E dies. Tbh ram pricing here in the uk is quite high, but both are affordable 😄  

Ah ok. I'd think going with the 2x16GB kits would be the most ideal if you really think you're going to be using a lot of RAM with programs and background processes running, although I'd try and wait until around the holiday season in November/December as I've seen prices of RAM kits drop (when I got mine). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ah ok. I'd think going with the 2x16GB kits would be the most ideal if you really think you're going to be using a lot of RAM with programs and background processes running, although I'd try and wait until around the holiday season in November/December as I've seen prices of RAM kits drop (when I got mine). 

I guess that works out then xD, since if I went the 64gb route I was going to buy a kit now in order to get my system up and running (to make sure everything works) and then buy another kit in December / Jan 

If I were you, I'd go for 2x32gb (still 64gb), which allows an upgrade to 128gb later on. I'm not sure how detailed/big you plan on your scenes to be, but you can go over 60gb of ram usage pretty easily depending on what you're doing.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

12 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

I guess that works out then xD, since if I went the 64gb route I was going to buy a kit now in order to get my system up and running (to make sure everything works) and then buy another kit in December / Jan 

That'll work perfectly fine if you buy another kit then. 

2 ram sticks should work better than 4.

And 16gb is usually enough,  unless you need it "for science "...

Personally I just wouldn't invest so much into ram with DDR5 around the corner... just seems a waste.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I would just get 2x16GB now and upgrade later if you need to do so.

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Personally I just wouldn't invest so much into ram with DDR5 around the corner... just seems a waste.

It normally takes a few years for pricing to be reasonable and more noticeable Memory speeds to be released every time a new RAM standard is introduced.

15 hours ago, igormp said:

If I were you, I'd go for 2x32gb (still 64gb), which allows an upgrade to 128gb later on. I'm not sure how detailed/big you plan on your scenes to be, but you can go over 60gb of ram usage pretty easily depending on what you're doing.

Can't afford a 2x32gb kit off the bat and even if could crucial 2x32gb kits are single rank not dual rank so I would loose some performance. Other than that I really don't see myself needing 128gb, still trying to figure out if I would need 64gb xD after all I may have plans to invest a lot of time into this but who knows how advanced ill actually be in the end. 

As for the size of scenes, until I have learned enough to create a virtual environment that you can walk around, most would be singular rooms. I'd also like to make them as realistic as possible xD

Thanks for the help! 

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

2 ram sticks should work better than 4.

And 16gb is usually enough,  unless you need it "for science "...

I was initially buying 2 sticks however crucial changed its manufacturing process back in December last year so all 16gb dimms are single rank not dual rank which nets a slight loss in performance. Other than that, since I have invested a fair amount into this pc already and DDR5 will be incredibly highly priced and potentially unstable for the first year or so I figured it best to get what I can now 😄 . 

Also, 16gb is mainly standard for gaming only whereas 32gb or more is recommended for most professional applications. Although I think nowadays 32gb should be the recommended for gaming and 16gb the min, esp if you play modern games and use other applications in the background at the same time. 

Thanks for the help! 

Accidently said that crucials 32gb dimms are single rank, I know there 16gb dimms ae but not sure about the 32gb dimms, apologies 😄 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, whm1974 said:

It normally takes a few years for pricing to be reasonable and more noticeable Memory speeds to be released every time a new RAM standard is introduced.

I keep hearing this, and maybe that is the case,  but they already released DDR5 ram (for whatever reason/ purpose???) and it wasn't that expensive at all, also not the cheapest,  more like middle of the bunch compared to DDR4... I think 400 for 32G?

So yeah depending on the situation I would definitely wait - if that's an option.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

55 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I keep hearing this, and maybe that is the case,  but they already released DDR5 ram (for whatever reason/ purpose???) and it wasn't that expensive at all, also not the cheapest,  more like middle of the bunch compared to DDR4... I think 400 for 32G?

So yeah depending on the situation I would definitely wait - if that's an option.  

Who is selling DDR5 now? Neither AMD nor Intel are offer Consumer level Sockets for DDR5.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, whm1974 said:

Who is selling DDR5 now?

Teamgroup. 

2 months ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/the-first-32gb-kit-of-ddr5-4800-ram-lands-at-retail-for-dollar311-and-its-already-sold-out/

It was even cheaper,  311 bucks...

(my ddr4 wasn't any cheaper and its already the cheapest bdie I could find 🤷‍♂️ ) 

But,  you may be right about the speed..."40-40-40-77" 🤔

Although I guess its normal for "faster/newer" ram to have looser timings. 

Ps: but really my point was more like I don't trust these kind of predictions, especially in the current climate this stuff is going to sell out quickly and become standard very fast / almost immediately imo!

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/30/2021 at 7:19 PM, CriSis_ said:

Hey,

I posted something similar to this yesterday but am hoping to get a few more opinions tonight before buying (that will hopefully tip the scales one way or the other xD). Right now I have two configs i'm looking at paring with a 5900x and asus b550-e : 4x8gb 3600mhz cl16 crucial ballistix rgb or 4x16gb 3600mhz cl16 crucial ballistix rgb. Both configs are four stick since crucial changed its 16gb dimms to single rank so in order for it to run as dual rank and to net a slight performance bump I require 4 dimms (not to be confused with dual channel btw). 

Unfortunately, due to my current system being incredibly lacklustre, I am not sure of what programs I would be using but what I can say is that I would like to create hyper realistic models / renders, interiors and even a virtual store that you can walk around in that is incredibly close to real life (similar to the thing that LG did). Other than that I would also be dabbling in game design and as a personal hobby would be designing prosthetics / supports for people with hypermobility eds. This machine would be my workhorse for the next 3-4 fours years until I upgrade or replace it so I would like as much headroom as possible / required in order to learn. I should also mention that I would have background tasks such as chrome, photoshop, discord etc open too. 

Right now I am a beginner however this is my main focus and I will be dedicating 90% of my time towards it 😄 . Plus this system will also double as my computer for my online uni course.

I hope this makes sense and I do apologies for posting a similar post,

Stay safe,

Lex.

Unless you're doing genetic research you're spending money you don't need to. I know in nearly all cases more is better and in this one it may be down the line, but by that point will your CPU and MB chiset be up to the task of taking advantage of that RAM?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Yes single rank modules, a few different brands are in there.. also no sound skipping.. but you tube has had troubles over the weekend. I had to listen to my kids complain.

12 hours ago, freeagent said:

Hardware Unboxed's video on the matter is a bit more informative. The GN video implies that this is a new thing with Zen 3, or matters more for AMD, when in reality it's been a thing for a while and also on Intel. That's not to say that GN's testing was bad, because it was good testing, but Long-Hair Steve was less familiar with the phenomenon than Aussie Steve

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Hardware Unboxed's video on the matter is a bit more informative. The GN video implies that this is a new thing with Zen 3, or matters more for AMD, when in reality it's been a thing for a while and also on Intel. That's not to say that GN's testing was bad, because it was good testing, but Long-Hair Steve was less familiar with the phenomenon than Aussie Steve

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0

Yes indeed. I run a dual rank setup on my Z77 system, and I  saw similar gains on my 3600XT when I had one. I just assumed people like game benchmarks more than real world ones 😄

I like both.