Torn between Seasonic Focus 850px or Corsair Rm850x

Bad Habit

Hi I would like to upgrade psu for my system since I'm going to upgrade gpu probably to Rtx 3070/3080 card.
my build is ryzen 9 5900x, gigabyte x570 aorus elite, 2x16gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz 

currently I'm torn between

Seasonic Focus 850PX Platinum and Corsair Rm850x 2018 white/black edition

watching reviews and tier lists just made me more confused
so if someone can enlighten me what to pick please, 'what's better psu' 🙂 

Price is virtually the same (2-5euro difference at most)

The RM850x is the better of the 2. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Bad Habit said:

Seasonic Focus 850PX Platinum and Corsair Rm850x 2018 white/black edition

Latter has a better power spike mitigation for 3000 series GPU, so it pretty much is a winner by default

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Nothing to be torn about, RM-x is better, and most likely cheaper even.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

By the way Is there any difference between Corsair Rm850x 2018 and Corsair Rm850x V2 or its basically the same product?

13 minutes ago, Bad Habit said:

By the way Is there any difference between Corsair Rm850x 2018 and Corsair Rm850x V2 or its basically the same product?

The V2 is newer and from what i know slightly worse when it comes to noise. But they're both great.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

One more question, is it wiser to get Corsair Rm1000x *v2- not sure does this V2 again makes any difference, for my build or to stick with Corsair Rm850x 
Price difference is like 20-25 eur at the moment, argument is 1000w is 'more future proof' 
But I will definitely get Corsair Psu, just this dilemma remains 850w or 1000w, halp 🙂

Properly built 750W psus should handle 3080 and ryzen 5000-series. I would not be surprised if quality 650W psu:s were fine as well. Its just that the 850W model is priced so close that it makes no sense to go lower.

My BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 750W handles my RTX 3080 and Ryzen 5800X without any issues.

Any reputable PSU brand should be fine. Seasonic has almost legendary status at this point and so does Corsair. Corsair is known to make good and reliable PSU's. Has been for many many years now.

2 hours ago, Bad Habit said:

V1 = 2015 version

V2 = 2018 version

V3 = 2021 version

1 hour ago, Bad Habit said:

One more question, is it wiser to get Corsair Rm1000x *v2- not sure does this V2 again makes any difference, for my build or to stick with Corsair Rm850x 
Price difference is like 20-25 eur at the moment, argument is 1000w is 'more future proof' 
But I will definitely get Corsair Psu, just this dilemma remains 850w or 1000w, halp 🙂

If you think you'll most likely be upgrading your 3070/3080 in the near future (5 years from now), going with the 1000w makes sense, as nvidia's next generations of GPUs might require even bigger PSUs.

It is not clear what RM1000x V2 actually refers to. From what I understand, there never was a 2018 version of the RM1000x, which means all RM1000xs bought prior to 2021 were the V1 = 2015 version.

Therefore, "V2" might simply be a mistake made by retailers who assumed the RM1000x was also getting refreshed in 2018 alongside the rest of the lineup, yet could also be a reference to the 2021 refresh of the RM1000x.

If you have an actual picture of the unit, you can easily tell which version it is.

2015 : fan grill

2021 : triangular perforations

The 2015 version is better than the 2021 version, but they're both very good.

13 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Has been for many many years now.

3 years is not many.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

3 years is not many.

I'm pretty sure I didn't buy my Haswell-E system just 3 years ago... When I built that system I bought Corsair HX750 and they were one of best PSU's back then. It's easily 5+ years for sure.