Monitor arm for thick desk

I recently built a PC for one of my friends and he has a small TV (30-32 inches I think) that he wants to mount above his two displays. Initially he was going to wall mount it but thinks a desk mount would work better. There are plenty of products like these on the market but the clamps are limited to 1-3 inches. His desk has a drawer beneath it and is about 6 inches thick. Does anyone know of a single monitor arm that would work for a desk this thick?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Does his desk have a cable grommet hole? Can he drill one? Even the $30 arm I have from Amazon came with a grommet mount that works great. 

No, but drilling is a possibility.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

I would also recommend checking the max weight supported by the arm. I have a 32" monitor and had a hard time mounting a similar arm because it's very close to the max weight. I would suggest investing on a more premium product. I'm personally getting a wall mount because these are cheap and more solid.

1 hour ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I recently built a PC for one of my friends and he has a small TV (30-32 inches I think) that he wants to mount above his two displays. Initially he was going to wall mount it but thinks a desk mount would work better. There are plenty of products like these on the market but the clamps are limited to 1-3 inches. His desk has a drawer beneath it and is about 6 inches thick. Does anyone know of a single monitor arm that would work for a desk this thick?

6” is a wildly unusual thickness. And a clamp has to be commensurately strong the longer the span of the clamp.  Big C clamps can have wildly thick centers sometimes.  Such a clamp has to have that thickness regardless of how thick the actual table edge being clamped to is.  I would also start to worry about what the interior structure of that 6” is.  That’s thick enough that it is unlikely to be solid.  You might be able to find a non desk stand clamp secure enough that you could clamp to that.  Seems janky though.  For things that thick there are stands that screw or bolt to the surface or weighted ons that stand on the desk. I suspect the wall is a better idea. One might also consider a floor stand which wouldn’t be connected to the desk at all. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I suggested that he replace his desk instead of attempting to make his old one work. 😛

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

22 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I suggested that he replace his desk instead of attempting to make his old one work. 😛

Definitely a way to do it.  Kind of an odd shaped desk sounds like.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.