How much worse is a C14S comparing with other (better) coolers? Enough for 5900x?

askopte

I'm downsizing from a ATX case to an NR200, and my current (work in progress) plan is swap to a C14S so that i can mount my 3.5inch HDD on the side.

But since i'm working with a 5900x, i wonder how much worse it's gonna be since my old Arctic LF2 280 seems to be just sufficient.

I think it should be okay to handle the stock 142w TDP, but what about the noise, and how much OC headroom can i expect?

(And yes i know, Machines & More on youtube made a lot of content on NR200 including this, but in his video he was using a 3700x for testing, clearly not comparable with a 5900x)

Some other questions:

1. I have two A12X25s on hand and should i use these instead of A14?

2. Any better option?

3. Since i still have my 280 AIO, is it an good idea to put it in as it's clearly oversized?

Thanks

PC1: 5950X/32GB 3800C14/3080 FTW3/O11Air Mini

PC2: 5600G/16GB 4133C18/Open bench

33 minutes ago, askopte said:

I'm downsizing from a ATX case to an NR200, and my current (work in progress) plan is swap to a C14S so that i can mount my 3.5inch HDD on the side.

But since i'm working with a 5900x, i wonder how much worse it's gonna be since my old Arctic LF2 280 seems to be just sufficient.

I think it should be okay to handle the stock 142w TDP, but what about the noise, and how much OC headroom can i expect?

(And yes i know, Machines & More on youtube made a lot of content on NR200 including this, but in his video he was using a 3700x for testing, clearly not comparable with a 5900x)

Some other questions:

2. Any better option?

3. Since i still have my 280 AIO, is it an good idea to put it in as it's clearly oversized?

Thanks

As in noctua c14s?  Iffy. My memory is a 5900 has a published TDP lower than that.  Might be actual though. Manufacturers tend to underreport TDP in publication.  Could get loud.  May wind up needing more fan. I wouldn’t count on any headroom at all.  One never knows though.  You might have a golden chip or something. My suspicion is a big AIO would have a lot more heat envelope than a low profile downdraft cooler, even a six pipe one. Might even get some OC out of that.  SFF is a strength of AIO.

note: for what it is worth this is maybe the first time ever I have suggested AIO over air.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, askopte said:

Some other questions:

2. Any better option?

Thanks

neiwetj5bdv61.jpg

It fits but I'd suggest to have the fans mounted to the side so that the rad is the one that's on the inside. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case