Switching from Microsoft Edge gets more annoying in Windows 11

Why would you do that? Committing suicide is not easy too. 

For real, you should just try Edge. It is like objectively the best browser probably. If I was the CEO of Apple, I would still force people to use Edge. Or steal it. 

And as far as I know you can't just set all media files to open with vlc too. Or you can do it? Please let me know if you can actually do it.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:49 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Interesting. By chance, have you ever used Mine? Mine lets you see what companies have your data. 

Wait so they have your data too?

On 8/19/2021 at 12:16 AM, Kronion said:

Probably depends on how much Microsoft pushes Edge to the average user and what effect that has on the usage stats.

The last time the European Commission fined Microsoft in relation to browsers (back in 2013 - as far as I'm aware), Internet Explorer was still used widely. That simply isn't the case anymore, Edge probably is third or fourth (behind Chrome, Safari and possibly Firefox). I am no legal expert, but I think an antitrust or anti-competition case won't be feasible as long as Edge is a fringe browser.

Edge is pretty popular actually

On 8/19/2021 at 6:01 AM, leadeater said:

P.S. Not read topic at all but switching to Edge, OMG WHY!?!?!

Why did you switch to Chrome? Weren't you using Explorer and wasn't it pretty good? 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Agreed I prefer Opera GX and it's ability to let me have all my tabs without killing my system.image.thumb.png.40a388ba1a7d3aa409ab4eb24883f6f4.png

I think Edge introduced it. 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:59 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Switching to Linux has never looked more appealing. If the problems with Windows 11 doesn't cause people to switch en masse away from Windows then my faith in humanity will be greatly reduced.

Microsoft is behaving abusively in this relationship we as consumers have with Microsoft and they need to get a grip before the EU and others come to split them up and shut them down.

There is no excuse for why changing browser default is anything but a simple change instead of making it deliberately as painful as possible to switch. This would be illegal in almost any other context and is possibly illegal as is.

Usual disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

You are crazy, bad company + good product = bad product? That is literally the opposite of not judging a product by the company.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, jagdtigger said:

*yawn*
Did anyone expect anything that isnt scummy from MS?
Ppl dont use ms account -> make it mandatory.

Ppl switch away from edge -> make it hard as possible to switch.

They dont think about the root cause why ppl dont want something. They will just force it regardless.

The root cause is people don't even use Edge

38 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

And as far as I know you can't just set all media files to open with vlc too. Or you can do it? Please let me know if you can actually do it

Depends what you understand under media files, but i haven't come across a media file that vlc can't open, then you can also set it as default.

Ps: I mostly use WMP, vlc isn't that great for my use case, except for files no other player plays, like "bin". 🤷‍♂️

Pss: oh, or you mean "at once"? No you can't do that, because windows  doesn't know what a media file actual is, so *how* would you... besides I'm not sure window has that option at all?

Its either default  program "open with" or you gotta do it manually for each file ... one of those things I really don't like about windows, simple things, everyone comes across at some point and they just "didnt think about this totally mundane task" 🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/23/2021 at 3:00 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

My problem I close ~30 to 35 tabs a day.... and then proceed to open 35 to 50 more.... Thereby I have multiple windows for the work and play I do, but I also have YT videos, articles, and graphics novels for months, yeah no I have quite the que, and not nearly that much time to enjoy it. On the other hand I sometime stumble across news from last year or earlier this year, and it helps me keep my perspectives in check, which is important in these turbulent times. 

P.S. I also retain my data, sources, and other tabs for issues, *disputes and etc, until I come back and find them to no longer be relevant, or such issues are resolved. 

*'cause sometime we just can't agree on how to help people in the best way or in general.

You know, book marks exist

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Depends what you understand under media files, but i haven't come across a media file that vlc can't open, then you can also set it as default.

Ps: I mostly use WMP, vlc isn't that great for my use case, except for files no other player plays, like "bin". 🤷‍♂️

Lolllllll WMP has this same issue. I want all file types to be played by vlc but Microsoft has this stupid player and they even made apps for other file types. Psychos. Why do they want us to exclusively use their apps? I know they want to be a monopoly. 

3 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Lolllllll WMP has this same issue. I want all file types to be played by vlc but Microsoft has this stupid player and they even made apps for other file types. Psychos. Why do they want us to exclusively use their apps? I know they want to be a monopoly. 

yep, edited... i don't think you can for any app? At heart windows is very clumsy and almost Linux like, if you look a little deeper,  power shell this, command prompt that, registry  hack here....  i feel so safe! Lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Wictorian said:

The root cause is people don't even use Edge

Because there is no reason to do so? If it does not offer anything above what ppl currently have forcing it wont do any good....

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Because there is no reason to do so? If it does not offer anything above what ppl currently have forcing it wont do any good....

It does

35 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

It does

Ppl clearly see it otherwise, that is why it doesnt get used, and why ms trying to force it so desperately.....

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Ppl clearly see it otherwise, that is why it doesnt get used, and why ms trying to force it so desperately.....

It is gaining popularity very fast and people are realising it is probably the best browser. Ms doesn't force it. I had to do some research to switch to it.

1 minute ago, Wictorian said:

Ms doesn't force it.

Read the 1st post, plus there is that little tid-bit where the OS elegantly reverts back the defaults to favor ms junk.... (Not to mention when it was pathetically begging to try it.) BTW its light years behind of firefox.

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Read the 1st post, plus there is that little tid-bit where the OS elegantly reverts back the defaults to favor ms junk.... (Not to mention when it was pathetically begging to try it.) BTW its light years behind of firefox.

The first post isn't about Edge and it's leaked version. Ms forces you to use bing and pretty much all ms apps. (Wmp, photos, etc.) But not Edge. 

If Firefox is better for you then use that obviously. But most people haven't even tried Edge.

My edge just says "this page can't be displayed  because your browser is outdated" or some such and, honestly that's "fine" I'm not missing out anything, besides why would I want to tell Microsoft my Google account (that's if they aren't spying on Chrome data already...)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Chrome does exactly the same begging as soon as you open google on any other browser.

And i don't see how edge is inferior to firefox in any way. Since it's based on chromium it has been the best browser i've used. I used firefox for many years in the past, then switched to chrome because it was noticeably faster while sacraficing privacy, then switched to chromium Edge because it was as fast as chrome and had the privacy options that Firefox offered.

It's objectively one of the best browsers currently available period. And with it being standard i don't see any reason to switch. So imo this is a non-issue.

People here are crying like it's the end of the world to use 2 minutes of your time and set the standard browser to something different. Yes, it's more difficult than it needs to be but people are taking this way out of proportion.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

My edge just says "this page can't be displayed  because your browser is outdated" or some such and, honestly that's "fine" I'm not missing out anything, besides why would I want to tell Microsoft my Google account (that's if they aren't spying on Chrome data already...)

Sounds like you're using the old edge. The newer chromium version has the same compatibility as Chrome itself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 hours ago, Wictorian said:

You know, book marks exist

Responded to a similar comment. Bookmarks are just too much of a pain and eat up too much time to use properly.  Rather instead I can just middle click whatever I want to come back to later, and Opera GX handles it much better.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 hours ago, Wictorian said:

The first post isn't about Edge and it's leaked version. Ms forces you to use bing and pretty much all ms apps. (Wmp, photos, etc.) But not Edge. 

If Firefox is better for you then use that obviously. But most people haven't even tried Edge.

Yeah, well, you kinda can't when dumb Windows 11 purposely makes it difficult to set Firefox as default browser...

35 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Responded to a similar comment. Bookmarks are just too much of a pain and eat up too much time to use properly.  Rather instead I can just middle click whatever I want to come back to later, and Opera GX handles it much better.

Edge has a feature called Collections. It is kinda similar to bookmarks but better.

25 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, well, you kinda can't when dumb Windows 11 purposely makes it difficult to set Firefox as default browser...

Just wait until it is released.

As far as I read firefox can do that automatically. And actually where it can't do it is WIN 10

2 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Edge has a feature called Collections. It is kinda similar to bookmarks but better.

I've tried it and it doesn't work that well for me.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!