Help me gain some perspective of expected temperatures after CPU+Cooler change

Aaylas

I just upgraded my system from a Zen1 to a Zen3 and I'm seeing much higher temperatures. I need some perspective on whether the new CPUs are just a much hotter machine or if I have a problem.

Old:

Ryzen 7 1800x

Corsair H110i AIO

Crosshair 6

New

Ryzen 7 5800x

Noctua D15

Crosshair 8

On the old AIO/Zen1 system, I saw an operating range of 29C (idle) to 47C (load).

On the new Noctua/Zen3 system, I'm seeing an operating range of 32C (idle) to 82C (load). I ran Prime95 and it temps sat at 76C. 

1. Are these temperatures normal? Maybe I didn't install the cooler correctly?

2. I have my Q-Fan controls set to max fans when it hits 70C. Given that I'm exceeding 70C regularly when the CPU bursts, I'm hearing my fans spool to 100% often. Do I need to adjust this?

Thanks.

Where is the 82C at load coming from if Prime95 only gets you to 76C?

The 5800X is indeed a hot chip, but 82C is a little high. High 70s under load would be completely normal. I'm frankly a little surprised by 47C at load previously. That's kind of insanely low, even for a 1800X with an AIO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The 5800X is indeed a hot chip, but 82C is a little high. High 70s under load would be completely normal. I'm frankly a little surprised by 47C at load previously. That's kind of insanely low, even for a 1800X with an AIO.

I also thought that 1800x load temp is absurd

Either its stuck as base clock or youve heavily undervolted it

5800x is hot because theres 8 cores focused on a single ccd which makes for a weird hotspot area on the cpu where some coolers will do a really good job at cooling it whilst others just fall flat

13 minutes ago, Aaylas said:

I just upgraded my system from a Zen1 to a Zen3 and I'm seeing much higher temperatures. I need some perspective on whether the new CPUs are just a much hotter machine or if I have a problem.

Old:

Ryzen 7 1800x

Corsair H110i AIO

Crosshair 6

New

Ryzen 7 5800x

Noctua D15

Crosshair 8

On the old AIO/Zen1 system, I saw an operating range of 29C (idle) to 47C (load).

On the new Noctua/Zen3 system, I'm seeing an operating range of 32C (idle) to 82C (load). I ran Prime95 and it temps sat at 76C. 

1. Are these temperatures normal? Maybe I didn't install the cooler correctly?

2. I have my Q-Fan controls set to max fans when it hits 70C. Given that I'm exceeding 70C regularly when the CPU bursts, I'm hearing my fans spool to 100% often. Do I need to adjust this?

Thanks.

is this test with the same case and fans?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Hi. Case and fans are the same (albeit the lack of a radiator in the case opens it up a little). It's reassuring to hear that the mid 70C I'm seeing is normal, even with this gigantic cooler. Any suggestions for my Q-Fan configuration? Should I let it ramp to 100% fan speed at 70C like I currently have it? What do you do?

The 82C that I saw today was during the shader cache build in Apex Legends. That's the first and only time I've seen it get that hot. Prime has been running for about 15 minutes right now and is hovering at 75C again. I wonder if it's because the cores don't get as high during prime 95 (maybe the 4.8GHz speeds I was seeing during the shader cache build have higher thermals than the 4.07GHz during prime95???).

prime.thumb.PNG.f9963d2059541e283645aa9a5ee73268.PNG

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

1800x load temp is absurd

That's normal. Here are results when using a NH-U14S: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/20.html

The newer Ryzen cpus boosts more aggressively and have higher heat density which is harder to cool. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.