Is 78° high for an EVGA 3080TI FTW3?

JingleJaxson

I was playing some games last night and noticed on full load, the GPU reaches 78°. I do have a fan curve applied via Afterburner and the card was clocking between 1800-1830. Are these temps normal / okay? I may explore undervolting, but prefer not to if I don't need to.

2 minutes ago, JingleJaxson said:

I was playing some games last night and noticed on full load, the GPU reaches 78°. I do have a fan curve applied via Afterburner and the card was clocking between 1800-1830. Are these temps normal / okay? I may explore undervolting, but prefer not to if I don't need to.

Of course, I do not know what your fan curve looks like but a 3080Ti "only" clocking 1815-ish MHz while at 78c, that sounds like a choking 3080Ti to me. 

Either redo your fan curve, or put it back to automatic (standard) to see if that fixes it or make sure you have good enough airflow in the case. 

If airflow is good and fan curve is good, and you still experience 1800-ish MHz at 78c, I'd say you have totally lost the silicon lottery because I don't believe thermal paste is already a problem. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Also, if your GPU is 100% utilized and lots of memory is also used, ie the card is pulling 100% power, it might makes sense that the clock is at 1800-1830MHz. Could be power limit. 

But 78c still seems high IMO. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well 78°C is not bad but it's not ideal. What case do you have? 

CoolerMaster H500.

I also have very high temps on my EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 blah blah blah. Would replacing the TC be beneficial? What else can I do to lower the temps physically? I am not keen on the idea of changing clock speeds and fan curves.

4 minutes ago, JingleJaxson said:

CoolerMaster H500.

Is it the one with mesh or glass at the front? 

12 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Also, if your GPU is 100% utilized and lots of memory is also used, ie the card is pulling 100% power, it might makes sense that the clock is at 1800-1830MHz. Could be power limit. 

The boost clock for the card is rated at 1800MHz. I don't have any sort of overclock on it. I'll attach a picture of the fan curve when I'm home.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Is it the one with mesh or glass at the front? 

Mesh front.

1 minute ago, JingleJaxson said:

The boost clock for the card is rated at 1800MHz. I don't have any sort of overclock on it. I'll attach a picture of the fan curve when I'm home.

Yes but GPU boost should take it further, if powerlimit isn't hit and temps are under control. Just like every other Nvidia card 🙂

Example: Boost clock on my 3090 is 1725MHz but at stock it boost between 1850-1890MHz because of enough power and temp headroom

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

4 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Yes but GPU boost should take it further, if powerlimit isn't hit and temps are under control. Just like every other Nvidia card 🙂

Example: Boost clock on my 3090 is 1725MHz but at stock it boost between 1850-1890MHz because of enough power and temp headroom

Damn. I'm screwed, it seems.

22 minutes ago, JingleJaxson said:

Mesh front.

That is a decent case for airflow then. Its possible the card needs repasting.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That is a decent case for airflow then. Its possible the card needs repasting.

Could it be that I have Precision-X (EVGA's GPU software) installed and Afterburner? I'm thinking PX might be overriding the fan curve I set in Afterburner. Might be better to delete one and see what happens.

1 minute ago, JingleJaxson said:

Could it be that I have Precision-X (EVGA's GPU software) installed and Afterburner? I'm thinking PX might be overriding the fan curve I set in Afterburner. Might be better to delete one and see what happens.

You can have both installed but you shouldn't run both of them at the same time as they will interfere with each other.

if you havent played about with the fan curve, the GPU will have a temperature that it wants to sit at, preprogrammed in the BIOS. This is typically in the 70s. The fan controller will only just turn the fans up enough to maintain whatever that default setpoint is.

If the fans are at 100% and its sitting at 78c on the other hand, theres some issue.

6 hours ago, JingleJaxson said:

Undervolt it. Not sure why you wouldn't. You don't lose out on much performance and getting 8 degree cooler. Undervolt using the curve, and not by lowering clock speeds base.

8 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

I turned off "Force Constant Voltage" on afterburner (not sure why that was on) and the clock speed went up while temp went down to 74 degrees.

This is the fan curve I'm using:

30 deg. = 40%

50 deg. = 50%

65 deg. = 70%

76 deg. = 85%

88 deg. = 100%

Is this a decent curve? Should I edit it?

FanCurve.PNG

1 hour ago, c00face said:

Undervolt it. Not sure why you wouldn't. You don't lose out on much performance and getting 8 degree cooler. Undervolt using the curve, and not by lowering clock speeds base.

I'm just worried I'd screw up the card. I never have done that before. 

23 minutes ago, JingleJaxson said:

I'll try to walk you through it.
First download MSI Afterburner.
 https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

Before you begin, your CURVE is different from mines. The goal is to lower mV while trying to reach for your GPU frequency clock MHz. Since you're on a 3080TI, your frequency will be a lot higher than mines. If it's at 2500 MHz, adjust the curve to reach 2300 MHz or lower at a lower mV.

1. Go to settings, User Interface, and change it to Default MSI Afterburner v3 skin - big edition

image.thumb.png.5b640a41ca98390293826a294b35278f.png

2. Press anywhere on the MSI interface and hit CTRL+F

The Voltage/Frequency curve editor should pop-up.

image.thumb.png.43f4058537b47bbd795615a9b5bd3798.png

3. Adjust the Core Clock (MHz) by NEGATIVE 250 (-250). The curve should drop below your default curve.

image.thumb.png.a13439ac8cd0c1899f1fef34c8f242a9.png

4. Depending where you want your Voltage to sit, you'll drag the square to where you want your GPU to try to hit the clock frequency. For example, in my case, I did 1000 mV (bottom graph) and I would drag the square to at least 1915 MHz (because my GPU default is at 2000 MHz.) Your GPU is a 3080TI, so it has a higher frequency, MHz. If it's at 2500 MHz, adjust it for 2300 and work your way down till you find stability.

image.thumb.png.105e1dab0561e837a1e4c4bd6f1dc117.png

Your GPU is now have a curve that will adjust itself upward till 1000mV at a frequency of 1915 MHz. You'll have lower temps and similar performance to default. Click apply, save it to a profile and bubble the "Apply overclocking at system startup." And make sure to start tick the box to start up MSI Afterburner during PC startup.

These are my settings, you can actually go lower. To 875mV. But I'm comfortable with 1000mV as I see mostly 60 degree C during intense load. And haven't seen it go higher than that.

End result should look like this:

image.thumb.png.3ffa469e379e3cbf812c8d7cd3cf05e9.png

If anything messes up, best you get is just a system restart or artifacts. Then you'll increase mV from 1000 to 1020 and keep doing this till the system is stabilized. Also, you can just reset.

29 minutes ago, JingleJaxson said:

Actually, I found a great video that walks you through it visually. Better than me explaining it on forums.

1 hour ago, c00face said:

I'll try to walk you through it.
First download MSI Afterburner.
 https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

Before you begin, your CURVE is different from mines. The goal is to lower mV while trying to reach for your GPU frequency clock MHz. Since you're on a 3080TI, your frequency will be a lot higher than mines. If it's at 2500 MHz, adjust the curve to reach 2300 MHz or lower at a lower mV.

1. Go to settings, User Interface, and change it to Default MSI Afterburner v3 skin - big edition

image.thumb.png.5b640a41ca98390293826a294b35278f.png

2. Press anywhere on the MSI interface and hit CTRL+F

The Voltage/Frequency curve editor should pop-up.

image.thumb.png.43f4058537b47bbd795615a9b5bd3798.png

3. Adjust the Core Clock (MHz) by NEGATIVE 250 (-250). The curve should drop below your default curve.

image.thumb.png.a13439ac8cd0c1899f1fef34c8f242a9.png

4. Depending where you want your Voltage to sit, you'll drag the square to where you want your GPU to try to hit the clock frequency. For example, in my case, I did 1000 mV (bottom graph) and I would drag the square to at least 1915 MHz (because my GPU default is at 2000 MHz.) Your GPU is a 3080TI, so it has a higher frequency, MHz. If it's at 2500 MHz, adjust it for 2300 and work your way down till you find stability.

image.thumb.png.105e1dab0561e837a1e4c4bd6f1dc117.png

Your GPU is now have a curve that will adjust itself upward till 1000mV at a frequency of 1915 MHz. You'll have lower temps and similar performance to default. Click apply, save it to a profile and bubble the "Apply overclocking at system startup." And make sure to start tick the box to start up MSI Afterburner during PC startup.

These are my settings, you can actually go lower. To 875mV. But I'm comfortable with 1000mV as I see mostly 60 degree C during intense load. And haven't seen it go higher than that.

End result should look like this:

image.thumb.png.3ffa469e379e3cbf812c8d7cd3cf05e9.png

If anything messes up, best you get is just a system restart or artifacts. Then you'll increase mV from 1000 to 1020 and keep doing this till the system is stabilized. Also, you can just reset.

Thank you so much for taking your time to walk me through this. Here are my results. Was stable at 0.9mV at 1920MHz. TimeSpy score went up 400 points. Stress Test gave me my best stability score ever, and max temp hovered around 75-76 degrees, which is a 3-degree improvement for much better performance. Let me know if you think I could / should do anything else to get temps down further, but this is an improvement I'm very happy with. 

EDIT: I actually didn't have my fan curve applied. With it, I'm hovering around 69-72 degrees with the same performance 🙂

Undervolt.PNG

1 hour ago, JingleJaxson said:

Thank you so much for taking your time to walk me through this. Here are my results. Was stable at 0.9mV at 1920MHz. TimeSpy score went up 400 points. Stress Test gave me my best stability score ever, and max temp hovered around 75-76 degrees, which is a 3-degree improvement for much better performance. Let me know if you think I could / should do anything else to get temps down further, but this is an improvement I'm very happy with. 

Undervolt.PNG

You're on a TI, I would try to go higher, possibly 1950 MHz at 900 mV. If you want to drop temp down more, try bringing the mV down to 850 mV at 1900 MHz..