Best UPS

SecureCPU

Hey Everyone,

I looking for a great UPS backup for my new Gaming rig.

Had a power surge recently and it kinda put me on edge.

I wanted to know what you guys would recommend for a UPS. I have the following specs:

ASUS ROG Thor 850w 80+ Platinum

ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB

G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 64GB

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti AMP Holo

ASUS ROG Strix LC 360mm RGB

Thanks!

1 minute ago, NetSpear said:

I wanted to know what you guys would recommend for a UPS.

For how long of a runtime? Just for saving your work for around 15-20 minutes i would go for any 750-1000VA units from APC available to you.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

For how long of a runtime? Just for saving your work for around 15-20 minutes i would go for any 750-1000VA units from APC available to you.

Ya. just about. Have my network switch and a few other devices at my workstation, would like to keep those running for a couple minutes also if I can. But mostly to protect the computer from any power surges or flickers or anything like that.

During the last storm, the lights flickers, didn't think anything of it, but when I came back to my pc the monitors where off, flans at full power, like the whole computer was going crazy or something. I had to shut it down by the switch on the power supply, the Reset and power off buttons weren't responding. When i rebooted it was working fine. but that kinda freaked me out. 

So i def wanna find something that will protect it and keep it running even through the flickers and surges.

1 minute ago, NetSpear said:

but when I came back to my pc the monitors where off, flans at full power, like the whole computer was going crazy or something.

Yeah, standard post power disruption POST. Just let it be and it shouldve just calmed down after a bit, but i understand why you freaked out.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just put out for this APC 1500va UPS for my rack that I am rebuilding on Wednesday. When power goes out by me it tends to flicker a few times first, I have lost 2 routers and a switch to it over the summer so far and my main workstation has started bluescreening randomly although I don't know if that is related yet. I got one with a pure sine output so that I could put some lab equipment on it if I want to let it run overnight but that is not something that most people need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GRY1W93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

44 minutes ago, NetSpear said:

recommend for a UPS

41 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

750-1000VA

750VA is only around 450W which is not enough for your system.

@CWALDhas the right idea with a 1500VA with pure sine wave, not simulated.

I run a 1350VA/880W Cyberpower pure sine wave UPS for my 5900x & 6900xt.

If you are pushing it when the power goes out you want to be able to cover that power draw with your UPS.

I have been told by @jonnyGURUthat Tripp Lite is the brand to go with.

I have lost systems to power farts before so every system gets a UPS.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

5 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

If you are pushing it when the power goes out you want to be able to cover that power draw with your UPS.

I got the pure sine wave specifically for more sensitive equipment, wouldn't simulated be fine for a regular workstation as long as he has a decent PSU?

46 minutes ago, NetSpear said:

Ya. just about. Have my network switch and a few other devices at my workstation, would like to keep those running for a couple minutes also if I can. But mostly to protect the computer from any power surges or flickers or anything like that.

During the last storm, the lights flickers, didn't think anything of it, but when I came back to my pc the monitors where off, flans at full power, like the whole computer was going crazy or something. I had to shut it down by the switch on the power supply, the Reset and power off buttons weren't responding. When i rebooted it was working fine. but that kinda freaked me out. 

So i def wanna find something that will protect it and keep it running even through the flickers and surges.

Ew.  Maybe you got away with it maybe you didn’t and it only looks like it for now.  You can do pure surge suppression with just a power strip though basically nothing is faster than lightning including power strips or UPSes. Lightning protecting a PC is hard and so expensive it’s often an eneterprise only thing.  A UPS is probably as good as can be gotten on a consumer level though. A ups does both surge and brownout protection.  The problem is partially that lightning is already an arc, so even an open switch may not protect.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

*involuntarily Imagines power farting as being like powerlifting with more of a booger-from-revenge-of-the-nerds spin to it.  Maybe south park order-of-the-stick*

my brain is often not helpful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've been researching this topic. You should calculate your system top load in watts take that times 1.2 (for a 20% increase) at least. So if you system consumes 500W (NOT YOUR PSU SPECS, but your actual components consumption), you should look for a UPS with at least 600W. This is a rule of thumb. The rationale is like choosing a PSU: you don´t want to fit tight in its capacity, but have a fairly amount of space. Like Linus Torvalds build (check LTT video on it): he goes for double his top consumption given the parts chosen. For a UPS you should sum your monitor, speakers, modem and anything else you consider crutial to your set-up and want to connect to it (so you can calculate consumption and # of outputs). Check this for an approximation: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

On the specs side, I've seen that its important to take account of (besides compatibility with your local power grid): surge protection given in joules (J), the convertion radio between the capacity in VA and W (a UPS with 1000VA and 600W has 0.6) gives you an idea of power eficiency, the battery working time at full and half load, transfer time (in micro seconds for consumer models). Nevertheless is true that consumer level UPS wont have a surge protection or transfer time good enough to save you from direct lightning as @Bombastinator says.

On the brands subject, I've only read about Cyberpower and APC being acknowledge as reliable (and @wONKEyeYEs cites Tripp Lite as well). Someone has some experience on this brands or a particular recomendation?

Also is worth mentioning that, as @jonnyGURU responded in another thread, new PSU models don´t need pure sine wave UPS. This however may well provide a cleaner energy output, but are more expensive.

So I ended up choose the APC Gaming UPS, 1500VA / 900W Line-Interactive Sine Wave UPS. Originally wasn't going to, but it went on Deal Of The Day Sale on Amazon on Tuesday and brought the price from 235 to 187.

This is the link to it.

https://amzn.to/3sxEd5N

Thank you everyone for your Help!!

6 minutes ago, NetSpear said:

So I ended up choose the APC Gaming UPS, 1500VA / 900W Line-Interactive Sine Wave UPS. Originally wasn't going to, but it went on Deal Of The Day Sale on Amazon on Tuesday and brought the price from 235 to 187.

This is the link to it.

https://amzn.to/3sxEd5N

Thank you everyone for your Help!!

The thing about UPSes is depending on the design the battery in them will last a variable about of time and may need to be changed out or the entire thing replaced again depending on design when the battery warts out.  They used to be most commonly deep cycle lead acid motorcycle batteries.  I understand that is no longer all that common anymore.  Very much a ymmv thing.