Is 4x8gb or 2x16gb of ram better?

Hey so i was wondering which would be better value. I'm using a 5600x and 3060 ti, and would just like to know which would be better. Thanks

Both will perform the same overall as long as the 2x16 is Dual ranked sticks and not single ranked. That said, Ryzen CPUs generally prefer and are more stable with 2x over 4x. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Both will perform the same overall as long as the 2x16 is Dual ranked sticks and not single ranked. That said, Ryzen CPUs generally prefer and are more stable with 2x over 4x. 

What are dual ranked sticks?

1 minute ago, Josh -_- said:

What are dual ranked sticks?

weird. I think it has something to do with memory bandwidth, something like dual rank sticks have 128bit buss width, single is 64bit bus width, but im not sure

in general theyre a bit faster than single rank, but 2x dual rank is the same thing as 4x single rank.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

At same speed: 4x8 SR = 2x16 DR > 2x16 SR

Rank refers to one of the characteristics of the ram, which is unfortunately rarely specified. Loosely speaking to get higher capacity, you need either higher density chips, or more of them arranged into ranks. Modern 8GB modules are all single rank. 16GB modules up to a year or so ago were mostly dual rank, but they are trending towards single rank now. No experience of 32GB modules but I'd assume they're still dual rank.

More ranks can help with getting more useful effective performance out of ram. Downside is they are more load on the memory controller, so if you're running high speed kits there is higher chance they might not work at those higher speeds. Similarly for overclocking.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

At same speed: 4x8 SR = 2x16 DR > 2x16 SR

Rank refers to one of the characteristics of the ram, which is unfortunately rarely specified. Loosely speaking to get higher capacity, you need either higher density chips, or more of them arranged into ranks. Modern 8GB modules are all single rank. 16GB modules up to a year or so ago were mostly dual rank, but they are trending towards single rank now. No experience of 32GB modules but I'd assume they're still dual rank.

More ranks can help with getting more useful effective performance out of ram. Downside is they are more load on the memory controller, so if you're running high speed kits there is higher chance they might not work at those higher speeds. Similarly for overclocking.

So you can't actually tell if it is dual or single ranked? 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/33WBD3/ 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/WH9tt6/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-cl18-memory-cmw16gx4m2z3600c18

Because these are the 2 i'm looking at buying, either 2x8 or 2x16. So which is better value?

Edit; and this one. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/33WBD3/

Optimal number of sticks always equals the number of channels. Since consumer systems are dual channel, that means two sticks. Four sticks just makes the IMC have to work harder.

When it comes to ranks, Ryzen prefers four total, which can be achieved with either two dual rank or four single rank. Unfortunately, RAM manufacturers almost never actually advertise what rank their modules are. If you do see something like 2Rx8, 1Rx16, etc., the first part is the rank. The second part is the density, which actually does matter for performance as well. Lesser density is better, so x8 is preferable to x16, but density is usually hidden even better than rank.

You can also just search online for the particular kit you're considering and add the term "rank" to your query. You'll often find a forum or Reddit post where people will tell you. You can also tell on the label, generally, if you have it physically in hand.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 hours ago, Josh -_- said:

So you can't actually tell if it is dual or single ranked?

It is easy to tell after you have received the module and you can run software to read it out. CPU-Z can work most times, Thaiphoon Burner has a higher chance of working.

Of course that doesn't help if you need to know which to buy in the first place. Next best thing to do is search for the exact part and find a reviewer who might have determined the rank.

Of the listed kits, I can say the kit with 8GB modules will be single rank. Only some very early DDR4 8GB modules were dual rank. Haven't been that way for a long time. I have a compute use case that responds strongly to ram performance. In that use case, a dual rank 3200 kit can significantly outperform a single rank 3600 kit, and this applies to both Intel and AMD systems.

Using 4 single rank modules (e.g. 8GB) in a dual channel system is one way to guarantee having effectively 2 ranks per channel. Strictly speaking rank is internal to a module, so using two modules is more correctly 2 DIMMs per Channel (2DPC). In terms of performance, as far as my testing is concerned, it works exactly the same as a single dual rank module.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

• 1 month later...

So, lets say I have 8GBx2 right now if I put 8GBx2 more into my system will CPU-Z show that I am effectively running in Dual-Rank? 

R3DMyST:

• CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (-0.102UV_PBOdisabled)
  • COOLER = ID-COOLING SE-224-XT RGB
  • GPU = AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT 8GB (AutoUV)
  • RAM = 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200Mhz CL16 (1.35v@3600Mhz)
  • CHIPSET = Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
  • PSU = EVGA Supernova GS 650W 80+Gold (Modular)
  • CASE = Antec NX200M

11 minutes ago, CamoGeko said:

So, lets say I have 8GBx2 right now if I put 8GBx2 more into my system will CPU-Z show that I am effectively running in Dual-Rank? 

No I don't think so. Not sure however..

49 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

No I don't think so. Not sure however..

Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking since it shows details of each module individually. 

R3DMyST:

• CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (-0.102UV_PBOdisabled)
  • COOLER = ID-COOLING SE-224-XT RGB
  • GPU = AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT 8GB (AutoUV)
  • RAM = 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200Mhz CL16 (1.35v@3600Mhz)
  • CHIPSET = Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
  • PSU = EVGA Supernova GS 650W 80+Gold (Modular)
  • CASE = Antec NX200M