Screwdrivers

Error 504

as one famous verge pc-builder person once said, "Screw With Confidence".

just out of curiosity, do you guys use regular screwdrivers with different heads, or screwdrivers with interchangeable bits, or electrical, or with adjustable torque?

i always wonder how tight you are supposed to tighten certain screws.

I just use a run of the mill magnetic Phillips 1 and 2s for just about everything and anything PC related. As far as tightening, I go to basically its snug as it is easy to strip out heads as well as threads on cases etc if you over tighten. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I just use a run of the mill magnetic Phillips 1 and 2s for just about everything and anything PC related. 

another question, would the magnetic field not affect the pc parts?

thanks.

Just now, Error 504 said:

another question, would the magnetic field not affect the pc parts?

thanks.

No, its not strong enough to cause any issues with that. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

just out of curiosity, do you guys use regular screwdrivers with different heads, or screwdrivers with interchangeable bits, or electrical, or with adjustable torque?

i always wonder how tight you are supposed to tighten certain screws.

Regular screwdriver but a quality one (on the cheap ones tip just get mangled after a while), as for the torque here is a pro tip for PC if you need more then 3 fingers to tighten the screw with a screwdriver, you are doing it wrong. 

if you have to grip the screwdriver with your entire hand to apply force something is wrong and you are forcing it. 

22 minutes ago, Kadzo said:

Regular screwdriver but a quality one (on the cheap ones tip just get mangled after a while), as for the torque here is a pro tip for PC if you need more then 3 fingers to tighten the screw with a screwdriver, you are doing it wrong. 

if you have to grip the screwdriver with your entire hand to apply force something is wrong and you are forcing it. 

then i guess electric screwdriver is a no-no.

i was just watching jayTwoCents, and he was using one, seemed really convenient.

but i guess not.

45 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

do you guys use regular screwdrivers with different heads

I just use the closest #1 philips screwdriver i can find around me. If i need to pry things i got a thin manicure stick for that, but sometimes i do keep flathead screwdriver if i need more leverage.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

then i guess electric screwdriver is a no-no.

i was just watching jayTwoCents, and he was using one, seemed really convenient.

but i guess not.

I know that he is using an electric one, but with out some sort of torque settings on it i wouldn`t trust it too much. 

For an electric screwdriver to work good you need some sort of downward pressure to keep the tip in the screw itself, so i guess you can hope that the tip will slip when the screw is tight enough. 

I use a mechanical screw driver when I need to do a ton of screws, I usually do until tension is solid.

I have also use a lot of my standared stanley set.

8 hours ago, Error 504 said:

Well its your personal thing. Magnetic is usually the best way.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Now that I have an iFixit tool kit, mostly the screwdriver in that. Though sometimes, at least with a compact case, a screwdriver with interchangeable bits is too wide, and a long screwdriver is required.

I've been spoiled. I have a ton of Snap On tools at home. I used their screwdrivers in different sizes up until I got my iFixit kit. I got tired of walking out to the garage for little tools. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I use my iFixit Mako kit for pretty much everything. People who say that buying knockoffs is better since they're cheaper and there's no difference are lying - nothing compares to an iFixit kit and I'm considering getting a Pro Tech toolkit.

elephants

no offense to anybody, but it really sounds like an iFixit promoting thread.........

jay does make cheesy vignette commercials in his videos, whether it's iFixit or wearing a sailor suit busting through the window and crashing a warship game....

17 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

no offense to anybody, but it really sounds like an iFixit promoting thread.........

jay does make cheesy vignette commercials in his videos, whether it's iFixit or wearing a sailor suit busting through the window and crashing a warship game....

I've used whatever random screwdriver I've had for years.  And built more systems than I feel like counting, they work fine.

But after buying (well, work buying me) an iFixit kit?  I won't go back.  They're just that awesome.

any screwdriver you want will work fine.  it's true.  But a good kit is a different experience.

I use a snap of ratcheting screw driver personally, if you watch old ltt videos youll see Linus using the same orange one. Im patiently waiting for the new LTT screwdriver to be released, ill give it a shot as well. I use tools everyday at my job so if its good ill buy a few.

now i'm intrigued by iFixit.

which set should i get? i'm an amateurish pc builder.

thanks.

5 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

now i'm intrigued by iFixit.

which set should i get? i'm an amateurish pc builder.

thanks.

the basic toolkit will cover 95%+ of desktop and laptop work.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348?o=2

Unless you're getting into more exotic parts, that'll do almost everything you need.  

I go the manly way....with a pneumatic drill with a good bit on it ...and just hope for the best.  Going to make sure that motherboard isn't going to move an inch.

But on a serious note, I use the ifixit kit as well.  My wife bought me the pro kit a few years ago and we use it all the time.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

On 8/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, tkitch said:

the basic toolkit will cover 95%+ of desktop and laptop work.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348?o=2

Unless you're getting into more exotic parts, that'll do almost everything you need.  

i'll go order one and give it a try. it's so annoying to work with a screwdriver without a magnetic tip. it makes me crazy.

thanks.

I use the Felo wood-handle screwdrivers for most of the big stuff, and they're pretty good. For all the little stuff, I really like Wera.

I've got one of those toolkit type sets (similar to the iFixit), and although it's useful to have a wide range of bits, I really prefer to have dedicated, fixed drivers. 

As much as I believe in buying good tools, I really can't bring myself to spend $50 on a Snap-On screwdriver. 

I used to have some Wera stainless-steel screwdrivers (along with some stainless pliers and wrenches) that I kept on  my MC scow, since they don't corrode. I have since switched to Harbor-Freight for this, because capsizing in the middle of a race sucks hard enough without sending $50 worth of tools to the bottom of the lake.

2 hours ago, H713 said:

I use the Felo wood-handle screwdrivers for most of the big stuff, and they're pretty good. For all the little stuff, I really like Wera.

I've got one of those toolkit type sets (similar to the iFixit), and although it's useful to have a wide range of bits, I really prefer to have dedicated, fixed drivers. 

i actually like fixed drivers better too, but i'm more of a one-size-fits-it-all user. i have ONE phillips driver and ONE slot driver, that's it. i don't even know what number or size they are. if it fits, whether tightly or loosely, it works.

i really need to start treating my pc better.....

18 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

i actually like fixed drivers better too, but i'm more of a one-size-fits-it-all user. i have ONE phillips driver and ONE slot driver, that's it. i don't even know what number or size they are. if it fits, whether tightly or loosely, it works.

i really need to start treating my pc better.....

Yeah, I use a #1 and #2 phillips, and one size of slot for 80% of what I do. The rest is mostly just hex / torx, or pozi-drive if I'm doing work on Quested / Turbosound / BSS equipment. 

fixed drivers, i have a "interchangeble head" one, but i hate fiddling with bits. 

mostly just WERA... on computers guess it is always philips, but every time i do something where i buy the mounting hardware, i ALWAYS buy Torx, the bits are 4-5 times as long lasting, when using them a lot, hopefully we can kill the philips head in the future.

have a Ifixit set for the smaller wierder things, like the pentalob and whatever Apple/nintendo and so on uses of stuff, to make it hard to repair, had to buy it when my son choose to dive a Fanta on top of his switch.