What pi-hole ip to put in the dns section?

Okay so I've installed pi-hole on my pi, and I am on my router's dns page but what should I put there, I've searched on the LTT guide and official guide as well.

No where, it states what to put in the router.

Only place I saw the actuall dns ip, was on the LTT video, but idk if I should but that same ip in mine.

I'm new to this, please help. Thanks

image.thumb.png.256ddf5a11d8de9bbd5cac49ad192946.png

Also btw, http://pi.hole/admin doesn't work, but puttin in the ip works

Whatever the IP address is that you use to access the GUI of the PiHole is the IP you would set your DNS to. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Whatever the IP address is that you use to access the GUI of the PiHole is the IP you would set your DNS to.

so lets say mine is 192.168.0.175, and I put it on primary dns, what would I put on secondary dns? Edit: Im guessing instead od 175 it'll just be 1?

Also btw, http://pi.hole/admin doesn't work, but puttin in the ip (http://192.168.0.175/admin/) works

Edited by Mr.Stork

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

so lets say mine is 192.168.0.175, and I put it on primary dns, what would I put on secondary dns?

You don't need a seconday ip. Just put that one in.

And Id make sure the pi-hole has a static ip or a dhcp reservation.

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

so lets say mine is 192.168.0.175, and I put it on primary dns, what would I put on secondary dns?

You don't need a secondary. But if you want, you could put whatever you want, so 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 etc.. it only uses the secondary if the primary is unreachable. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

static ip or a dhcp reservation

yes it does, I made it 192......175

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You don't need a secondary. But if you want, you could put whatever you want, so 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 etc.. it only uses the secondary if the primary is unreachable.

what does this mean?spacer.png

is that on your PiHole or Router?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

Id make pi hole the dhcp server, and turn the dhcp server off in your router.

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

is that on your PiHole or Router?

router

39 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

router

I would do as @Electronics Wizardy suggested and us the PiHole as your DHCP server over your routers. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

28 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I would do as @Electronics Wizardy suggested and us the PiHole as your DHCP server over your routers.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id make pi hole the dhcp server, and turn the dhcp server off in your router.

And it worked, thats a relief. Now it seems like it's adding latency to game, im playing siege, I usually get 70ping, im getting around 90ms, any idea why? (Edit:I will have to check it tommorow, to make sure its not an internet issue)

2 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

And it worked, thats a relief. Now it seems like it's adding latency to game, im playing siege, I usually get 70ping, im getting around 90ms, any idea why? (Edit:I will have to check it tommorow, to make sure its not an internet issue)

It shouldn't affect game latency, as programs don't use dns once they setup the connection.

7 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

I think you're trying to update the wrong DNS. This looks like your WAN settings since its talking about MTU Size. It could be that this is seperate for authentication etc...Check your "DHCP" settings, and see if there is DNS configuration information in there. 

Also, you shouldn't set your secondary to an external, as its then just bypassing your Pi-hole completely whenever it uses that. If your client doesnt receive a response within a couple of seconds, it will automatically query your secondary. So if you have problems with your Pi-hole then its just being *masked* by your DNS continuing to work on the external.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I think you're trying to update the wrong DNS. This looks like your WAN settings since its talking about MTU Size. It could be that this is seperate for authentication etc...Check your "DHCP" settings, and see if there is DNS configuration information in there. 

Also, you shouldn't set your secondary to an external, as its then just bypassing your Pi-hole completely whenever it uses that. If your client doesnt receive a response within a couple of seconds, it will automatically query your secondary. So if you have problems with your Pi-hole then its just being *masked* by your DNS continuing to work on the external.

Ahh yes I found DHCP and it has DNS options as well. So I'll keep the Wan dns to cloudflare, and change the DHCP dns to 192.168.0.175 (pi's ip) for primary. And for secondary do I put 192.168.0.1 or leave it blank?

Also three more questions:

Is there a way to ignore clients, so I turn off pi-hole for specific devices?

How do I add more blocklists? Some mobile game ads, and ads from Overwolf apps (like tabstats) are coming through.

I went to Group Management>Adlists and added some raw from my ublock origin extension adlists, but it didn't work. I even updated gravity.

http://pi.hole isn't working, any idea why?

On 8/4/2021 at 8:43 PM, Mr.Stork said:

Ahh yes I found DHCP and it has DNS options as well. So I'll keep the Wan dns to cloudflare, and change the DHCP dns to 192.168.0.175 (pi's ip) for primary. And for secondary do I put 192.168.0.1 or leave it blank?

Leave it blank, if you only have 1 Pi-hole (DNS Server) then you only have 1 entry. You shouldnt really add an external DNS as the secondary. 

If your Pi-hole goes down/offline and you arent able to bring it back up, then you should update the Primary DNS Server to something like Cloudflares 1.1.1.1

Adding a secondary external will mask that your Pi-hole is actually offline and you may not notice for quite some time. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:49 PM, Mr.Stork said:

Is there a way to ignore clients, so I turn off pi-hole for specific devices?

Pi-hole doesnt exclusively have a DNS bypass to bypass your rules. 

For those clients you can either:
Configure the network settings manually on the device and specify a different DNS server (e.g Cloudflare)

Make a DHCP reservation for a different "network" and assign a different DNS server to that network (many routers support multiple DHCP pools)

If you're using Pihole for your DHCP, then dnsmasq can assign DNS server based off mac address.

The first option is the most simple, especially if you have a small network. 

How do I add more blocklists? Some mobile game ads, and ads from Overwolf apps (like tabstats) are coming through.

I went to Group Management>Adlists and added some raw from my ublock origin extension adlists, but it didn't work. I even updated gravity.

This is where you add the lists, not sure why it wouldn't be working. 

You should see on the Dashboard how many domains are being blocked, this number should have gone up when gravity compiled the list of URL's from the adlists

http://pi.hole isn't working, any idea why?

Make sure the device you're using is pointing to your Pi-holes DNS. 

pi.hole is a default DNS entry that points to the IP address of the Pi. 

You can open cmd prompt and run 'nslookup pi.hole' 

If your DNS is configured correctly, and the NSLookup shows the correct IP address, then run these commands on the Pi and post the output 

service lighttpd status
journalctl -u lighttpd

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA