GPU "Bunny Ears" "Piggybacking"

Daethz

I have seen quite a few people saying NOT do do these two things.

I have a 3080ftw3, the first two 8pins are from the same connector, the main one and the one that comes off from it, so a bunny ear, the third 8pin is it's own wire.

Should I wire a third 8pin in?

Is the power cleaner/more stable? Or is this just a meme.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

The wires can get very warm, and some people do report getting better overclocks by doing so. It's one of those things that's just best practices. It probably won't hurt, but why risk it?

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Do it if you can.

Is it ok to use any port on the corsair 850w RMX, they specifically say Peripheral on the psu ittself, don't know if the slots are optimized for different hardware.

The third 8pin is already plugged into a "Peripheral" slot though, theres only one dedicated gpu plug on the psu ittself lol

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The wires can get very warm, and some people do report getting better overclocks by doing so. It's one of those things that's just best practices. It probably won't hurt, but why risk it?

if true it means it does improve stability.

this 3080 has crazy power swings so i guess i should... guess ill write this on my to-do list

*boot cod* 40w--> 340w in 1 second

5 hours ago, Daethz said:

if true it means it does improve stability.

this 3080 has crazy power swings so i guess i should... guess ill write this on my to-do list

*boot cod* 40w--> 340w in 1 second

I saw a comment from JohnnyGURU about not using pigtails and using separate cables for each connection-considering his expertise, I would advise doing so

Although I must admit I haven’t changed my rig to match that advice yet

Edited by 0591ryan
A word change

29 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

saw a comment from JohnnyGURU about not using pigtails and using desperate cables for each connection-considering his expertise, I would advise doing so

Although I must admit I haven’t changed my rig to match that advice yet

The thing is older GPUs generally get away with daisy chaining… RTX 3000 cards certainly dont and if you have such a card i recommend to use seperate pcie cables ASAP (i dunno about AMD 6000 but they'll be similar I guess)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

The thing is older GPUs generally get away with daisy chaining… RTX 3000 cards certainly dont and if you have such a card i recommend to use seperate pcie cables ASAP (i dunno about AMD 6000 but they'll be similar I guess)

Nah, I have a Titan Xp-hasn’t been an issue and I don’t OC, I’ll get around to doing it eventually just so I don’t have to think about it come upgrade time, whenever that is, probably not anytime soon since I’m happy with the performance I have now

From electrical standpoint it only makes a difference when the PSU output or the cables (including connectors) are at their limits right now. If the cables can handle the current and PSU can comfortably supply it, there's only style difference.

2 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

From electrical standpoint it only makes a difference when the PSU output or the cables (including connectors) are at their limits right now. If the cables can handle the current and PSU can comfortably supply it, there's only style difference.

Generally no. Its actually really dangerous, not a "style" question .

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Generally no. Its actually really dangerous, not a "style" question .

No it isn't. Did you not even read what I wrote or you just lack basic text comprehension? Since you claim it is "really dangerous", care to give some factual arguments to support this?

6 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

No it isn't.

It is for rtx 3000 cards, stop spreading false information that can potentially ruin peoples hardware or worse.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Daethz said:

I have seen quite a few people saying NOT do do these two things.

I have a 3080ftw3, the first two 8pins are from the same connector, the main one and the one that comes off from it, so a bunny ear, the third 8pin is it's own wire.

Should I wire a third 8pin in?

Is the power cleaner/more stable? Or is this just a meme.

This is a dangerous thing to do. Best rule of thumb is about electricity, if you don't how to to do it... don't do it.

2 negatives things can happen as a result, you fry your system or you fry yourself.

Don't pig tail off your psu.

If you like I can tag @jonnyGURU who is an expert in this field and I'm sure he will tell you not to do this.

Your components are designed to function in a specific manner, modification without proper understanding is dumb or stupid, however you see it. Modification of components beyond their design can be dangerous.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The RM850x has 3 6+2 PCIE pins, so best practice would be to just plug in the third cable. I hate dealing with the bunny ear ends too, but they are a necessary evil. I bunny eared my 3090 briefly while I was waiting on a new PSU, and during heavy loads I had the dreaded sudden draw based shutdown. Those FTW3 cards are also known for drawing a ton of power suddenly, and it could save you from an accidental shutdown even if people are going to argue about whether bunny earing is "safe" or not, having to reload when the gaming gets hot is never fun. 

15 hours ago, Daethz said:

Is it ok to use any port on the corsair 850w RMX, they specifically say Peripheral on the psu ittself, don't know if the slots are optimized for different hardware.

The third 8pin is already plugged into a "Peripheral" slot though, theres only one dedicated gpu plug on the psu ittself lol

You can't use "any port".  PATA/SATA ports have 5V and +3.3V pins.  Your GPU is all 12V (and ground, of course). You should have an available 8-pin on the PSU, unless you populated it with two EPS, which is unnecessary 90% of the time.  But really, this is only done in "good practice" as the RMx uses 16g wire and HCS terminals.  Using just two of the Corsair stock cables is more than fine. 

Some cheaper PSUs or aftermarket cables use 18g wire and standard terminals, which is why people recommend the seperate cables. They get really hot, really fast, and can cause melted connectors at the PSU side over long periods of time. 

4 hours ago, Dargaar said:

The RM850x has 3 6+2 PCIE pins, so best practice would be to just plug in the third cable. I hate dealing with the bunny ear ends too, but they are a necessary evil. I bunny eared my 3090 briefly while I was waiting on a new PSU, and during heavy loads I had the dreaded sudden draw based shutdown. Those FTW3 cards are also known for drawing a ton of power suddenly, and it could save you from an accidental shutdown even if people are going to argue about whether bunny earing is "safe" or not, having to reload when the gaming gets hot is never fun. 

I have only had crashes on CoD MW, which i think is more or less the game even though reliability manager says hardware kernel

i had the corsair 850RMx as well and i ended up replacing it with a EVGA model when i got my 3080 FTW3 due to there not being enough pcie powers on the psu for 3 cables just to be on the safe side. 

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz