Wired router's as fast as a cheap wireless repeater

MrP6k

Main router: HG8245H5

Secondary router: PRC3801

Repeater: generic wireless repeater from aliexpress

Pc wireless adapter: Tl-wn881nd

Phone: Poco f1

Pc's Ethernet port is gigabit.

The main router's 2,4ghz network gives me about 30~ mbps, my secondary router (connected to main router through lan) gives me about 8~ mbps on my phone and 30~mbps(wirelessly) on my PC. 

The cheap wireless repeater got the same speed as my secondary router. (It's just extending the main router's signal)

Testing ethernet on each cable

When i connect a pc with the same cable i used on the secondary router (PRC3801) , i get about 98mbps (a cheap cat5e cable, can't go over 100mbps)

When i connect a pc directly to the main router (HG2845H5) with the isp's included cable i got about 200-270mbps

(When connecting secondary router with the isp's included cable, there's no difference in speed)

Questions:

1. Why is my secondary router so slow?

2. Why do i get better speeds on my PC compared to my phone?

Feel free to @ me if you have any questions!
Please press the button if you think my advice was helpful! Thanks!

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-Zotac gtx 970 (the wimpy version)
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Extras: i tried channel 1,6,11 on the secondary router. Got the same speed. (With 40mhz as default, also tried 20mhz)

Since my secondary router's supports 5ghz wifi, i expected it to give me better speed compared to it's 2,4ghz wifi. But it's as fast if not slower than the 2,4ghz wifi.

Any idea why that is?

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

2 hours ago, MrP6k said:

Why is my secondary router so slow?

The Prolink must be run in AP mode. You shouldn't have 2 routers in default router configuration on the same network. Open the Prolink manual to page 12 and follow the setup instructions.

Secondly, set up the Prolink with a static LAN IP on the same subnet as the primary router, but outside of its DHCP pool. Also, point the Prolink's subnet mask to the same as that being used by the primary router, and the gateway/DNS IP to the LAN IP of the primary router. WiFi settings can be set up separately.

Thirdly, ensure that the WiFi broadcasts on each device are on different non-overlapping channels. This is especially important for 2.4GHz since the spectrum is much smaller. Do not use a channel width wider than 20MHz on 2.4GHz, but you can go as high as 80MHz on 5GHz provided you run a proper wireless survey and ensure you won't be interfering with other wireless networks.

2 hours ago, MrP6k said:

Why do i get better speeds on my PC compared to my phone

An uninterrupted wired link directly to the router/switch will always be consistently faster and more reliable than any wireless connection.

You can achieve close to that speed and stability on WiFi, but interference and obstruction usually limits this despite optimal tuning. Sometimes your wireless airspace isn't ideal for optimal performance no matter how much tuning is done.

2 hours ago, MrP6k said:

Extras: i tried channel 1,6,11 on the secondary router. Got the same speed. (With 40mhz as default, also tried 20mhz)

Don't blindly do this without running a wireless survey as mentioned previously.

2 hours ago, MrP6k said:

Since my secondary router's supports 5ghz wifi, i expected it to give me better speed compared to it's 2,4ghz wifi. But it's as fast if not slower than the 2,4ghz wifi.

Any idea why that is?

Well, if the configuration of the Prolink is in it's default configuration you'll have double-NAT and some conflicts which can limit the speed even before it reaches WiFi, so try the suggestions mentioned above first.

Again, perform a 5GHz spectrum analysis with WiFi Analyzer and see what you're working with. The wider the channel width, the more bandwidth you can accommodate, but at the cost of more wireless interference if you don't check for channel overlap.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Secondly, set up the Prolink with a static LAN IP on the same subnet as the primary router, but outside of its DHCP pool. Also, point the Prolink's subnet mask to the same as that being used by the primary router, and the gateway/DNS IP to the LAN IP of the primary router. WiFi settings can be set up separately.

how do i do this? do i go to it's network settings and edit it to match my main router's ipv4 address? (192.168.100.1)

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

1 hour ago, MrP6k said:

how do i do this? do i go to it's network settings and edit it to match my main router's ipv4 address? (192.168.100.1)

You're editing the LAN IP information on the Prolink.

So, on your primary router, set...

IP: 192.168.100.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Starting IP: 192.168.100.10
Ending IP: 192.168.100.254

Then, on your Prolink (after converting to AP mode)...

IP: 192.168.100.2
Gateway: 192.168.100.1
DNS: 192.168.100.1

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

Then, on your Prolink (after converting to AP mode)...

IP: 192.168.100.2
Gateway/: 192.168.100.1
DNS: 192.168.100.1

yeah idk how to configure this router after setting it to AP mode

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Just now, MrP6k said:

yeah idk how to configure this router after setting it to AP mode

It will be assigned an IP address from the DHCP pool if you don't set up static IPs yet. So you'll need to go to your primary router's client list, find the corresponding LAN IP then navigate to that IP through your browser.