Crypto Miners buying up entire power plants

DorrisOpen

When his house is gone, he'll care.

Same for an anti-vaxxer dying with Covid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh look, it's an unauthorized power plant in Alberta burning gas to create bitcoins.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/link-global-bitcoin-mine-alberta-1.6137731

When residents of an affluent estate community in Alberta started hearing noise from a nearby power plant, they didn't expect their complaints of sleepless nights would lead to a months-long investigation that would find a bitcoin mining operation had set up shop without approval.

Now, Link Global, the company behind the site, is being ordered by the province's utility commission to shut down two plants until it can prove it's allowed to operate — a move the company says will cost jobs and cause the oil and gas infrastructure in which it operates to sit dormant.

This is simply the worst kind of crypto operation, operating on fossil fuels.

18 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Oh look, it's an unauthorized power plant in Alberta burning gas to create bitcoins.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/link-global-bitcoin-mine-alberta-1.6137731

Cut “jobs” huh?  Jobs that didn’t exist before because plants were shut down?  So it doesn’t “cost” jobs it just failed to create than because the whole thing was BS to start with and they were hiring illegally from the beginning.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Cut “jobs” huh?  Jobs that didn’t exist before because plants were shut down?  So it doesn’t “cost” jobs it just failed to create than because the whole thing was BS to start with and they were hiring illegally from the beginning.

All 4 of them.

The company is also playing around with the idea of using waste heat emitted from computer servers to power greenhouses, bolstering Alberta's agriculture industry during cold weather, Jenkins said.

And though the facility employs only four people, Jenkins said it's important to him to employ locally and give former oil and gas workers a path into other careers. 

Like, just to be slightly less alarmist. If they were SERIOUS about using the waste heat for hydroponic/greenhouse farms, that should have been in the plan from the beginning. However this is really just a cover for "oops we're too stupid, and now we're going to make no money from this site."

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

All 4 of them.

Like, just to be slightly less alarmist. If they were SERIOUS about using the waste heat for hydroponic/greenhouse farms, that should have been in the plan from the beginning. However this is really just a cover for "oops we're too stupid, and now we're going to make no money from this site."

Suspected somebody would try this.  I suspect every possible site that could do this is going to have to be checked for this world wide.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

and cause the oil and gas infrastructure in which it operates to sit dormant.

Uhhhhh good

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)