Can't really tell the difference between my Hyperx Cloud alphas and DT 990 Pros

KyberKylo77

I'm not sure if something is wrong with me or my ears but they really don't sound that much different. I don't really notice the wider soundstage thats often being talked about when it comes to the DT 990s OR the precise imaging. It might be the fact that im running on onboard audio + its the 250 ohm version but i thought id at least be slightly impressed considering that these earphones cost almost twice the price of my hyperxs in my region.

I'm thinking if i should return them immediately and look for something easier to run or test them out with an amp/dac before making a decision.

@KyberKylo77Should sound alot better. If you on a motherboard that's not 10 years old, should sound fine. 

Is it the 250/600 ohm version or just 32 ohm?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

In a lot of cases having a dedicated amp+dac can make a greater difference than buying much more expensive headphones, I'd give it a try if you want better sound. It might make your hyperx headphones also sound a bit better, then you can judge for yourself whether keeping the more expensive headphones is worth it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

@KyberKylo77Should sound alot better. If you on a motherboard that's not 10 years old, should sound fine. 

Is it the 250/600 ohm version or just 32 ohm?

wtf, i actually forgot to type that in, im sorry lol. Its the 250 ohm version. 

Also, im running on one of those alc realtek chips from a mid tier mobo so it should in theory be fine but ive heard that an amp is still needed.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

In a lot of cases having a dedicated amp+dac can make a greater difference than buying much more expensive headphones, I'd give it a try if you want better sound. It might make your hyperx headphones also sound a bit better, then you can judge for yourself whether keeping the more expensive headphones is worth it.

sure, i might try that thanks. What amp would you recommend btw besides the e10k since ive heard that its quite underwhelming.

11 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

sure, i might try that thanks. What amp would you recommend btw besides the e10k since ive heard that its quite underwhelming.

I'm not very informed on current models, you should probably make a separate topic asking for recommendations

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I might be able to make a useful input here. I got 770 pro/880's in 250 ohms with a Fiio E09K amp and I also tried HyperX Cloud II and with amp it didn't make much difference, but onboard vs amp on the 770/880's makes a huge difference, even on my relatively new Maximus XI Hero. It does sound alright, but I miss the neutral sound of the Fiio.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

The E10K is a beginner and budget device. It's as good as the onboard audiochip on the mobo. I had it and when I made the upgrade to Fiio K5 Pro, the difference is huge.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

The E10K is not very good for the price. Its amp is very underwhelming. Get a Sound Blaster G5 or G6

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)