Having ads enabled vs. buying from lttstore

Go to solution Solved by qoobes,

Oh yeah, adblock is off on the forums anyways, but youtube ads waste a LOT of time. I tried watching an LTT video on my phone the other day, and I got two ads at the beginning, two in the middle, and one at the end. It's become much worse than it once was.

But yeah I agree with the general consensus, aka the contributions are valued equally, and since just buying something gives them a lot more money it's probably valid to just have ads off and support them in alternative ways.

I'd also recommend everyone here check out http://odysee.com/, it's like youtube but far less regulated, and it's distributed. You get their cryptocurrency while watching videos on the platform and you can choose to donate it to any creator you'd like!

Thanks for the responses!

Hey, I've been a viewer for about 7 years now, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen almost every video on the channel, though, shamefully, my adblocker is essentially always on. I do own a water bottle and a t-shirt from the store though.

So, the question is, does this community think that it is morally justifiable to watch a channel like Linus Tech Tips with ads turned off, but instead support them by buying their merchandise?

Regards

Buying from LTTstore is a much better way to support them all while getting something else in return. Getting a floatplane subscription also helps and using their Amazon link, too.

image.thumb.png.0bd815b69ae32665d6b470426d3962e0.png

Youtube AdSense, while it provided 26% of their revenue in 2020, that's only because they are a relatively big channel. Your individual views over the course of a year likely wouldn't even amount to a handful of dollar. A few dozen pennies is probably closer to reality.

So yes. Yes it is. I also believe in the last LTT 

(As seen in this video)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes. I think as long as you're support the channel in any way, you're morally fine.

It's worth mentioning, though, that you can always just whitelist the forums in your ad blocker. The ads on this site really aren't intrusive. There's also the option of supporting the forums directly, in which case, ads would be removed anyways.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Id ask @LinusTech his oppinions, but I'd say yeah.
AdSense would give them like 20ish (pulling this number out of my ass, just guessing from what I know) cents off you a year watching all of their vids once probably, they would make many times more than that per thing you buy.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, qoobes said:

does this community think that it is morally justifiable to watch a channel like Linus Tech Tips with ads turned off, but instead support them by buying their merchandise?

Absolutely, I think it's perfectly fine if you turn off ads and don't buy a single merch item too. Don't feel like you owe people money or that you should suffer through ads just because you watched a few videos. LTT also makes money from sponsorships and paid video deals, not just from people buying merch (which wasn't even a thing for most of the channel's history).

This forum is a little different in that the ads do serve to directly pay for its maintenance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, overthe6r said:

Never bought from lttstore and I have had adblocker enabled for years. They are multi milionares, my views are giving them nothing

eh, not quite true but not entirely wrong either.

I use adblock but keep it off for LTT fourms.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I forgot to say this.

iirc LTT fourms doesn't use LTT money, but ads and forum subscriptions to do up keep.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Oh yeah, adblock is off on the forums anyways, but youtube ads waste a LOT of time. I tried watching an LTT video on my phone the other day, and I got two ads at the beginning, two in the middle, and one at the end. It's become much worse than it once was.

But yeah I agree with the general consensus, aka the contributions are valued equally, and since just buying something gives them a lot more money it's probably valid to just have ads off and support them in alternative ways.

I'd also recommend everyone here check out http://odysee.com/, it's like youtube but far less regulated, and it's distributed. You get their cryptocurrency while watching videos on the platform and you can choose to donate it to any creator you'd like!

Thanks for the responses!

If you don't like watching Youtube ads and want to support the channel in another way you should check out Floatplane. You can subscribe to get early access to videos, Floatplane exclusive videos, and ad-free viewing. It will change in the future but currently subscribing to the LinusTechTips channel gives you access to all LinusMediaGroup channel content; Linus Tech Tips, ShortCircuit, TechQuickie, TechLinked, Channel Super Fun, Mac Address, and Carpool Critics.

https://www.floatplane.com/channel/linustechtips/home

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

any thing that you pay for specifically is always going to be better than youtube ads for any creator.

• merch
  • youtube red
  • youtube channel subscription
  • patreon
  • off platform subscription (like floatplane or twitch)

as an individual ads are a very very small amount of money.

Using Google's adsense calculator, a single view is worth about $0.005 (half a cent) so if you sent $10 to a creator, that covers you for 2000 ads/views

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I block Youtube ads because the way they deliver them is absolute trash and I don't want to see them ever. Always jump in unannounced with 5 levels higher volume about some shit I totally don't care about. Sorry if that hurts LTT, but just no. I also can't buy merch because of customs charges and VAT and the absurd costs of shipping from across the Atlantic. I do watch their built-in ads though I don't think they matter in context of income unless they can somehow monitor how many people watched the part and not skipping it.