Question WD Blue 4TB EZAZ vs EZRZ?

The Strange
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
1 minute ago, The Strange said:

I started to think that its fake one as it was written "Made In Thailand" while Western Digital company is located in USA.

WD is an American company, but manufacturing products in SEA is basically the norm nowadays. My WD Black drive from years ago also mentioned being manufactured in Thailand.

Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, China (of course) and more countries in that area are very common areas for electronics to be manufactured.

3 minutes ago, The Strange said:

the info I found was saying its an SMR drive, have no idea what this means, but all i understand that its mostly used for storage only, and I need that HDD for both storage and gaming, mostly gaming more than storage.

In short:

SMR = shingled magnetic recording

PMR/CMR = perpendicular/conventional mechanical recording

SMR drives don't suffer any read penalty, but random write operations will be a lot slower. SMR drives are not recommend for NAS (server) use nor for very random write-intensive applications. SMR allows the manufacturer to produce their hard drives for a lower price, but has the drawbacks as mentioned above.

This is a technology that has existed for a couple years, but has only fairly recently caught on as a term in the more mainstream tech world.

You can often tell if a drive will be SMR of CMR/PMR by the amount of cache is included in the drive.

While CMR/PMR drives have the common 32-64MB amount of cache, SMR drives often have 256MB (to compensate for their slower write-performance and needing to remember more temporary files).

Whether you're okay with an SMR drive is difficult to say, as there are many different types of workloads for drives.

If you truly want a high performance drive (in terms of speed), you might want to consider an SSD. If you want a higher performance HDD (but still not as high as a decent SSD), you can consider a 7200RPM CMR/PMR drive like the Toshiba X300 or WD Black.

Those are among the few CMR/PMR drives (that are not NAS drives specifically).

This video goes a bit in to detail about SMR, including some graphics to show what happens on the inside (and why random writes are often difficult for these drives):

This video was made, because it had come to light WD had been using SMR technology in their WD Red drives. Red drives are for NAS (server) use, which SMR technology does not work well with, which is why it was a controversial topic.

At that time, people became more aware of SMR vs. CMR/PMR (or at least I did).

Hi guys, I need some serious help for this please:

Today I bought myself a WD Blue 4TB HDD (Brand New), When i back to home and checked the HDD specs written on it, I got shocked to see its "EZAZ" version, I have no idea about this "EZAZ", all I know that the WD Blue 4TB has only 1 version available "EZRZ", I started to think that its fake one as it was written "Made In Thailand" while Western Digital company is located in USA.
I just googled trying to know more about the EZAZ version, the info I found was saying its an SMR drive, have no idea what this means, but all i understand that its mostly used for storage only, and I need that HDD for both storage and gaming, mostly gaming more than storage.

So guys, Should I return it? I didn't open the box till now, also if you can give me more info about that EZAZ and EZRZ also.

Thanks in adavance.

6 minutes ago, The Strange said:

I started to think that its fake one as it was written "Made In Thailand" while Western Digital company is located in USA.

Tons of big companies make products in different countries than their headquarters. This hdd is legit. There really aren't many fake hdds as its so hard to make them, and only 3 companies make them now

7 minutes ago, The Strange said:

just googled trying to know more about the EZAZ version, the info I found was saying its an SMR drive, have no idea what this means, but all i understand that its mostly used for storage only, and I need that HDD for both storage and gaming, mostly gaming more than storage.

SMR means the write speeds are slower, esp for sustained random writes. Likely won't make a diffference here.

Id keep the drive, it will work fine and I think the EZAZ will replace the older EZRZ

WD is an American company, but manufacturing products in SEA is basically the norm nowadays. My WD Black drive from years ago also mentioned being manufactured in Thailand.

Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, China (of course) and more countries in that area are very common areas for electronics to be manufactured.

3 minutes ago, The Strange said:

the info I found was saying its an SMR drive, have no idea what this means, but all i understand that its mostly used for storage only, and I need that HDD for both storage and gaming, mostly gaming more than storage.

In short:

SMR = shingled magnetic recording

PMR/CMR = perpendicular/conventional mechanical recording

SMR drives don't suffer any read penalty, but random write operations will be a lot slower. SMR drives are not recommend for NAS (server) use nor for very random write-intensive applications. SMR allows the manufacturer to produce their hard drives for a lower price, but has the drawbacks as mentioned above.

This is a technology that has existed for a couple years, but has only fairly recently caught on as a term in the more mainstream tech world.

You can often tell if a drive will be SMR of CMR/PMR by the amount of cache is included in the drive.

While CMR/PMR drives have the common 32-64MB amount of cache, SMR drives often have 256MB (to compensate for their slower write-performance and needing to remember more temporary files).

Whether you're okay with an SMR drive is difficult to say, as there are many different types of workloads for drives.

If you truly want a high performance drive (in terms of speed), you might want to consider an SSD. If you want a higher performance HDD (but still not as high as a decent SSD), you can consider a 7200RPM CMR/PMR drive like the Toshiba X300 or WD Black.

Those are among the few CMR/PMR drives (that are not NAS drives specifically).

This video goes a bit in to detail about SMR, including some graphics to show what happens on the inside (and why random writes are often difficult for these drives):

This video was made, because it had come to light WD had been using SMR technology in their WD Red drives. Red drives are for NAS (server) use, which SMR technology does not work well with, which is why it was a controversial topic.

At that time, people became more aware of SMR vs. CMR/PMR (or at least I did).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thank you so so much guys for all this useful information, I'm really happy that I got some good knowledge about this topic, thanks to you again 🙂

47 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id keep the drive, it will work fine and I think the EZAZ will replace the older EZRZ

Unfortunately I will return it.

43 minutes ago, minibois said:

Actually I'm not OK at all with an SMR drive, as I will do so many write operations, like transferring files, Installation of games and apps which require a high write speed.

51 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Thank you so so much guys for all this useful information, I'm really happy that I got some good knowledge about this topic, thanks to you again 🙂

Unfortunately I will return it.

Actually I'm not OK at all with an SMR drive, as I will do so many write operations, like transferring files, Installation of games and apps which require a high write speed.

I have a SMR hdd I use for games, and it works fine. There is a large buffer so you don't see the smr performance impact for a while, and normally your internal is much slower than the hdd for game installs

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have a SMR hdd I use for games, and it works fine. There is a large buffer so you don't see the smr performance impact for a while, and normally your internal is much slower than the hdd for game installs

As I understood, Gaming usually depends on read-operation only like Loading and so on, while the SMR HDDs problem are with write-operation, so yes, gaming will not be affected at all.

I will never return the HDD if I used it ONLY for gaming, but I'm doing too much write stuff as I mentioned above, that's the problem.

As I understood, Gaming usually depends on read-operation only like Loading and so on, while the SMR HDDs problem are with write-operation, so yes, gaming will not be affected at all.

I will never return the HDD if I used it ONLY for gaming, but I'm doing too much write stuff as I mentioned above, that's the problem.

What apps are you using? Normally sequential writes are fine, and if performance is a big issue, just get a ssd.

Also bigger hdd are normally faster, so id try to get a 8tb hdd as a replacement.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while doing some research.  I own both an AZ (SMR) and RZ (CMR) WD Blue 4TB.  In my testing the AZ is a good deal faster, which I think is because its buffer is 4x larger.  The AZ has a 256MB buffer and the RZ only has 64MB.

Also, the AZ is much newer being released in 2021 and the RZ in 2015.

You can see the results here - the top is the AZ and the bottom is the RZ.

AZ.jpg

RZ.jpg

Yes, no, that’s not how we test HDD. 
land the speed is only for a moment, if the HDD have free space to clear… 

the read and write speeds, if on the same rpm, depends on the density of the data, and SMR will always have advantage here. 

and you tested the same HDD two times… 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)