i9 CPU thermal throttling like hell, need help

So I got this 1 year old laptop Asus G732lxs with i9 10980hk processor and 2080 super. It thermal throttles even in idle also temps are fluctuating way quicker like for 1 sec and next sec it's 93 C and then next sec it drops to 60 while the clock speed fluctuating too much. I think this model came with liquid metal and I don't know why it is behaving like this, I don't know how it ran for the past year but the usage is not that high tho (got it from my bro). Thermal throttling happens even if the CPU usage was just around 10% in any games. After 10 mins of gaming it always above 93 C sometimes 97 C. But the GPU was sitting only around 70 C even in full load (2010 MHz or 1900 ish). What would be the case and any possible solution? I highly appreciate your help Thanks.

EDIT: It thermal throttles even if the clock speed was 2.6 Ghz or under 2.9 GHz (95 C or 97 during gaming)

Maybe consider using Throttlestop, to undervolt your i9 and maybe also cap its frequency, so the really high Turbo speeds, don't suddently require the CPU to pull a lot of voltage. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

10 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Maybe consider using Throttlestop

Too old, XTU can also be used for underclocking too, and has more feature.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Well I even tried disabling 4 cores for test but it's the same case unfortunately. But at least with 4 cores only the clock speed was above 4 GHz during stress test in XTU but 93 - 96 C sadly. Do you think it may require TIM reapplication? or something I read somewhere that liquid metal laptops may require reapplications after sometime.

36 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Too old, XTU can also be used for underclocking too, and has more feature.

Oh alright, roger that 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

5 hours ago, pcloverbutnomoney said:

Asus G732lxs

Read a review. The G732 has excellent cooling that is capable of running a 70W load at only 70°C. Very few laptops have that kind of cooling performance.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/38784-asus-rog-scar-17-review/

High performance laptops need maintenance. Your laptop's cooling performance at the moment is terrible compared to how this laptop should be performing. You need to disassemble your laptop for a thorough cleaning and you need to replace the thermal paste. This is not something that needs to be done someday. It needs to be done immediately.

At default settings, this laptop can add extra voltage to the CPU which will make it run hotter than it should. This laptop has a BIOS option that lets you undervolt the CPU -80 mV. With your overheating issues, you should definitely be using the undervolt option in the BIOS. The most recent BIOS version probably locks CPU voltage control. After you boot up into Windows, if the voltage register has been locked by the BIOS, you will not be able to use any software to make further voltage adjustments. 

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Too old, XTU can also be used for underclocking too,

ThrottleStop and Intel XTU are tools. The age of a tool is not important as long as it works. ThrottleStop can undervolt and overclock Intel's 11th Gen H series mobile CPUs without any problems and it also works in Windows 11. 

Intel XTU uses 10 times more memory and consumes 10 times as many CPU cycles compared to ThrottleStop. You will always get less performance when running XTU compared to running ThrottleStop because XTU is big and bloated.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

and has more feature.

That is not true at all. Intel XTU has fewer features. Intel XTU does not allow you to control BD PROCHOT, XTU does not give you access to the Speed Shift settings which every modern Intel CPU uses and Intel XTU does not allow you to adjust the core and cache offset voltages independently. Here are some examples of why that is important. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2HZjwlS6B5vO-m6HrkYMuiu8yVh3LvY/view?usp=sharing

ThrottleStop's best feature is that it applies and maintains the requested voltages. The voltages that XTU claims to be using are not always the same as what voltages are set within the processor. This is especially true when resuming from sleep. If you look at the contents of the voltage control register and compare it to what XTU is claiming, you will see that the voltages are not always being applied consistently. ThrottleStop does not have this bug. Intel XTU has had this bug for years and it still has not been fixed.  

Let me know what useful features XTU has. It has nice graphs but big, bloated, Inconsistent and unreliable are not features that I want. 

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Read a review. The G732 has excellent cooling that is capable of running a 70W load at only 70°C. Very few laptops have that kind of cooling performance.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/38784-asus-rog-scar-17-review/

High performance laptops need maintenance. Your laptop's cooling performance at the moment is terrible compared to how this laptop should be performing. You need to disassemble your laptop for a thorough cleaning and you need to replace the thermal paste. This is not something that needs to be done someday. It needs to be done immediately.

At default settings, this laptop can add extra voltage to the CPU which will make it run hotter than it should. This laptop has a BIOS option that lets you undervolt the CPU -80 mV. With your overheating issues, you should definitely be using the undervolt option in the BIOS. The most recent BIOS version probably locks CPU voltage control. After you boot up into Windows, if the voltage register has been locked by the BIOS, you will not be able to use any software to make further voltage adjustments. 

ThrottleStop and Intel XTU are tools. The age of a tool is not important as long as it works. ThrottleStop can undervolt and overclock Intel's 11th Gen H series mobile CPUs without any problems and it also works in Windows 11. 

Intel XTU uses 10 times more memory and consumes 10 times as many CPU cycles compared to ThrottleStop. You will always get less performance when running XTU compared to running ThrottleStop because XTU is big and bloated.

That is not true at all. Intel XTU has fewer features. Intel XTU does not allow you to control BD PROCHOT, XTU does not give you access to the Speed Shift settings which every modern Intel CPU uses and Intel XTU does not allow you to adjust the core and cache offset voltages independently. Here are some examples of why that is important. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2HZjwlS6B5vO-m6HrkYMuiu8yVh3LvY/view?usp=sharing

ThrottleStop's best feature is that it applies and maintains the requested voltages. The voltages that XTU claims to be using are not always the same as what voltages are set within the processor. This is especially true when resuming from sleep. If you look at the contents of the voltage control register and compare it to what XTU is claiming, you will see that the voltages are not always being applied consistently. ThrottleStop does not have this bug. Intel XTU has had this bug for years and it still has not been fixed.  

Let me know what useful features XTU has. It has nice graphs but big, bloated, Inconsistent and unreliable are not features that I want. 

@unclewebb Attached two images. This is not long hour session, this is just 10 mins run and it's already 97 even though I removed the back plate and fans are super clean and airflow was great but the heat in the outcoming air doesn't feel like 90 + C air it's more like 60 C or 70 C feeling I know that because I own one asus tuf gaming laptop and it'll go upto 80 C and when place my hand infront of it it'll be super hot but this ROG not, so you guys suggest to reapply thermal compound if yes should I go for Liquid Metal (like came from factory) or something like Kryonaut or Noctua NT-H1?

19c8a289-55f4-4b1e-874b-e85a60725a68.jpeg

e72efa0c-fd09-4f30-ae54-21456a365ae0.jpeg

Also, I noticed another strange thing with GPU when I tried to play fortnite, it runs just fine but then after every 1 mins or so it drops to 1300Mhz and game stutters it happens at some delay constantly. Do you think it could be due to this CPU issue? Also the GPU temp in opened state was only around 60 C with 90% load and 1.9 Ghz.

@pcloverbutnomoney Your screenshot shows that your GPU is power limit throttling and your CPU is likely thermal throttling. You are not going to get consistent performance if both the CPU and GPU are throttling. Some laptop manufacturers deliberately set the GPU power limit low to help keep its temperature down.

If you are going to use Noctua thermal paste, go with the newer version, NT-H2. It works better and more consistently when running at high temperatures that are common in laptops. 

Many thermal pastes will fail over time. It is time to disassemble your laptop and have a good look at what thermal paste was used. 

I have an i9 in a desktop and it's hot. I can't imagine trying to use one in a laptop. Do they make something like a cooling pad to sit the laptop on? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

@unclewebb I want to show you this

I opened the laptop and found the ASUS applied liquid metal like this. So do you think this is the reason for thermal throttling?

lm.jpg

lm1.jpg

@unclewebb So I already had arctic mx-4 thermal compound and I replaced it for emergency purpose and now idle temps are great however in full load reaches around 95 C (only in 100% loads below 70% loads it's around 85 C and after continuous stress it goes to 90 or 91. Do you think I can benefit from repasting with liquid metal? If I use 42x multiplier on XTU temps don't go above 90 C on 100% load (so if that's the solution how can I set XTU's undervolt and ratio multiplier values after boot without opening XTU and do stuffs?

image.png.5e5ec54ef0819c7c172cf2e43589294e.png

I ran multiple tests and it's always the core 4, 5, 6 and 7 who reaches highest temps in my laptop during stress test (100% load) other 4 cores at comfortable range (95 C is the throttle limit) every time. It kinda feel strange that the load 100% across all CPUs and clock speed also the same like below image

image.png.f308513ba22575a207776a7164e2c592.png

Is this a problem with heat dissipation or this is how the intel i9 CPUs work on laptops?

9 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Could be bad Thermal apply, is that new Laptop or

No not a new laptop its one year old but I recently replaced thermal compound with mx-4 from arctic, I didn't spread it while applying I put like a line in the center of that rectangle shape of the CPU (horizontal line in rectangle)

Edit: Like in the attached image, I thought it would spread by the pressure of heatsink. Do you think that could be the problem?

CPU0007-800x600.png

40 minutes ago, pcloverbutnomoney said:

I ran multiple tests and it's always the core 4, 5, 6 and 7 who reaches highest temps in my laptop during stress test (100% load) other 4 cores at comfortable range (95 C is the throttle limit) every time. It kinda feel strange that the load 100% across all CPUs and clock speed also the same like below image

Is this a problem with heat dissipation or this is how the intel i9 CPUs work on laptops?

It's just the way CPU's in general work. Look at the die layout, 4 cores are in the center, with cores on either side, while two cores are on the ends of each side. The cores sandwiched will likely get hotter...

_____

|0xx0|

|0xx0|

-------

The x's are packed in the middle of the 0's and are not able to dissipate as much heat as a result as well as soaking up some of the heat output from the 0's.

-Threads merged-

Your root issue is still the same, so please keep discussion within the same thread.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 hours ago, pcloverbutnomoney said:

I didn't spread it while applying I put like a line in the center of that rectangle shape of the CPU

The line method is intended for desktop CPUs that use an integrated heat spreader. For a mobile CPU, try spreading it. The paste has to cover the entire CPU.

@unclewebbI replaced it with condctonaut and the thermals are well under control now. While gaming it's now around 82 - 88 C where it used to be 90 - 95 C(throttle limit) all the time even with less load also I was able to undervolt up to -105 mv stable previously it's only -50mv and anything above it'll crash. Also, there are no high per core temp variations now. With no undervolt cinebench r20 multicore score was around 4200 (temps around 90 C and 3.9 or 4 GHz all core turbo after short power limit time) and with -105mv undervolt the score was above 4450 (temps around 88 C and 4.0 or 4.1 GHz all core turbo after short power limit time) also before liquid metal it was below 3700 and throttles with 95C all time even with undervolt. Now that I'm getting better thermals with CPU the only thing I saw was a little more temps on GPU (kinda not sure tho). Currently while gaming it's hovering around 80 - 83 C but no thermal throttle but with 1850 - 1915 MHz and GPU usage above 90%. Do you think it's normal because I guess since this system uses shared heatpipe between CPU and GPU and all other components maybe high conductivity from CPU die shared to the whole heatsink and that's why GPU temps a little higher than previous (before conductonaut around 78 C) also is it ok to have 90 C max temp on GPU memory?

image.png.334b30d7dfeffaf0dbe0b508ace7d16b.png

And of course I replaced the TIM on GPU too (Arctic MX-4 spread method) while applying conductoaut to the CPU. 

Also as you can see GPU temp is just under 75 C when benchmark with 3D Mark timspy and firestrike. The score is just awesome and it was above all the score which I saw with reviews on the internet. 

1619099402_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.99de1f6366238068a259e54ec3b69882.png

Screenshot (7).png