CELEBRITY Tech Trivia!

CPotter

https://youtu.be/6rIVWFCatH8?t=1962

Shouldn't the answer be Kioxia and not Toshiba? (or, at least they should be both right?)

EDIT: W3C and PCMCIA aren't acronyms (it's an initialism as you can't pronounce it as a word, which is odd because they use the word initialism later in the category)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, G8M8N8 said:

Does anyone know how to redeem the LTT store offer? 

@G8M8N8 Came here looking for an answer to this question myself. I found that when you add both items to your cart, the keyboard shirt will have the discount automatically applied! 😀

6 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

For an Apple fangirl justine really doesnt know much about apple does she?

at the start i thought maybe i will get 1-2 answers right but i somehow got 50% or more correct.

That's just who she is, a fangirl. It's pretty obvious that she just likes Apple stuff, nothing more. She's always talking about how "pretty" anything Apple is...

6 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

at the start i thought maybe i will get 1-2 answers right but i somehow got 50% or more correct.

That's just who she is, a fangirl. It's pretty obvious that she just likes Apple stuff, nothing more. She's always talking about how "pretty" anything Apple is...

3 hours ago, UnknownVar1able said:

@G8M8N8 Came here looking for an answer to this question myself. I found that when you add both items to your cart, the keyboard shirt will have the discount automatically applied! 😀

Thank you very much

Sorry if I’m mistaken, but I think the answer at 1:03:07 is wrong. I was under the impression that HDMI 2.1’s VRR feature is not the same as VESA AdaptiveSync, even if they accomplish the same thing.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 5600X | GPU: RTX 4090 | RAM: 32GB 3600 MT/s CL16 | MOBO: MSI MPG B550I | PSU: Corsair HX 1200 | Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 802 | Displays: 55" LG C1 + LG 34GP83A-B | Audio: HD600 + Mackie MR524 | M/K: MX Vertical + ZSA Moonlander

Laptop 

2019 16" Macbook Pro

What happened to the $200 Canadian tech question at 40:05? I only noticed because Paul was trying to make a grid 😄

the xbox (og)  was not the first console to have a hdd.

that would be ps2.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

the xbox (og)  was not the first console to have a hdd.

that would be ps2.

PS2 only had the hdd as an addon, the XBox had it as a base part of the hardware.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

15 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

exactly. i wonder if this might actually impact her popularity now that she's outed as a not so knowledgeable "tech" person

Well,
Linus................................................................................

Just meant to say that he made many mistakes too.
Great show though.

15 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

exactly. i wonder if this might actually impact her popularity now that she's outed as a not so knowledgeable "tech" person

It's really sad people come to this conclusion because she performed poorly in a just-for-fun video format about tech trivia. Haters gonna hate...

53 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

It's really sad people come to this conclusion because she performed poorly in a just-for-fun video format about tech trivia. Haters gonna hate...

Funny how people aren't saying the same about Paul or Marques Quinn too huh

(eta: ahha already forgot who won round 1)

mostly just lurkin' 

18 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

It seems like it, but to be fair: you have to understand the question and figure out the answer in seconds. That doesnt make it easier.

That was a bit sad that no one knew rm -rf /  - even though Anthony almost tricked Linus with this command in one of the videos. Linus should definitely pay more attention to what Anthony is saying 😃

If nothing else I now know which bits of useless tech trivia I'm pretty decent at and where I fall short. Apparently I'm good at archaic AV terminology and programming/linux but suck at Apple history and random US cities/schools tech companies were founded in. Sounds about right.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

WTF Linus, a whole bunch of questions nobody could answer. First it was funny, then it was sad. And since it's Canadian dollars wasn't it like $1,000 CDN = $4.20 US? 😉

4 minutes ago, skywake said:

If nothing else I now know which bits of useless tech trivia I'm pretty decent at and where I fall short. Apparently I'm good at archaic AV terminology and programming/linux but suck at Apple history and random US cities/schools tech companies were founded in. Sounds about right.

I was honestly surprised to hear myself saying NOOOO WHAT IS SCART

mostly just lurkin' 

13 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I mean, it's pretty obvious from watching her videos that she is not very involved in computer technology other than on a very basic level.

I quickly looked through her channel before writing this post and it's the same as it was a couple of years ago. She unbox something, try it for 5 minutes, makes some very surface level observations that anyone who tried the product could make, and then the video is over.

Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with that type of videos. There is clearly an audience for that type of content. Not everyone who clicks on a video about some headphones want to see frequency response curves for example. But we should not kid ourselves and assume that iJustine has some deep knowledge and understanding of how the tech products she showcase in her videos actually work.

Edit: I haven't watched more than 5 minutes so far but I don't think this tech trivia show is a good way to gauge how much someone knows about tech either. I mean, knowing that the original iPod had 5GB of storage is very much a "fun trivia" to know, but knowing or not knowing that does not really give any indication of how much you know regarding technology.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, BaidDSB said:

I would be very surprised if she did lose popularity.

I don't think the people who watch iJustine videos watch them because they see her as an expert on technology. I think they watch her videos because they like her style and want to see the product. Her videos are nicely shot and she gives some general info about the products. She doesn't do in-depth reviews so why should people care about how much or little knowledge she has? 

You don't watch "An Idiot Abroad" for advance on where to travel. You don't watch Top Gear for unbiased car showcases. You don't watch iJustine for in-depth reviews of tech products.

16 hours ago, Sarra said:

PS2 only had the hdd as an addon, the XBox had it as a base part of the hardware.

nope. OG was not a add on.

it was usa market they took it out.

other then that. it was the first console to have a built in hdd.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I don't care about complete accuracy, but this one got to me:

That's the letter L, not I. That could have been better laid out on screen. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I would be very surprised if she did lose popularity.

I don't think the people who watch iJustine videos watch them because they see her as an expert on technology. I think they watch her videos because they like her style and want to see the product. Her videos are nicely shot and she gives some general info about the products. She doesn't do in-depth reviews so why should people care about how much or little knowledge she has?

I think she has some knowledge about some of this, just not her focus point?

Like anyone else where or on LTT forgets too, and sometimes there is just too much information with very similar methods or names, making people mixing terms or views.

Also how LTT isn't fully in-depth either, some is more about the production too. like the production you can do with an CPU pillow at LTT store!

I liked that episode a lot, was super fun to watch. But I wish the participants had tried harder to win. Maybe have easier questions next time?

I just wanted to point out that strictly speaking the suggested solution from 01:05:19 is incorrect.

rm -rf / alone (executed as the root user) doesn't force the deletion of everything in the root directory - at least with the most common implementation by the GNU coreutils (which is used by Ubuntu, too). rm preserves the root directory by default with --preserve-root. You'd have to add --no-preserve-root in order to circumvent that safety mechanism.

Tested inside a VM:

962383335_rmrfslash.png.3c5a83bdec888b1ebe145ecc7c82a8bc.png

Read the man page to find out more: https://linux.die.net/man/1/rm

On 7/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Its just sad that you are simping and defending a tech youtuber this hard who got ousted for not having any knowledge.

Also Haters? What are you? 12?

21 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I mean, it's pretty obvious from watching her videos that she is not very involved in computer technology other than on a very basic level.

By this logic, any host of a show for children must be an utter idiot.

1 hour ago, BaidDSB said:

Its just sad that you are simping and defending a tech youtuber this hard who got ousted for not having any knowledge.

So you know her personally? Or have you jumped to this conclusion by watching a video?