1080p IPS monitor

JaaaaAAaaaaY

I am looking for a 1080p 27", at least 144Hz monitor, I mainly use it for games, are there any great option that's under 300USD? 

For 1080p i'd rather go to 24". With bigger monitors the picture gets too blurry imo. I'd recommend the AOC 24G2, as it's one of the best 1080p 24" 144Hz IPS monitors out there.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Agreed, but if still wanting 27" then there is the AOC 27G2(U)

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

For 1080p i'd rather go to 24". With bigger monitors the picture gets too blurry imo. I'd recommend the AOC 24G2, as it's one of the best 1080p 24" 144Hz IPS monitors out there.

BTW, I'm not that familiar with display technology, what's the difference between TN, IPS and VS panels?

19 minutes ago, JaaaaAAaaaaY said:

BTW, I'm not that familiar with display technology, what's the difference between TN, IPS and VS panels?

TN: (twisted nematic)

Fast response times and cheap.

But horrible viewing angles and color reproduction.

Basically only for the highest end e-sports player that don't care at all about image quality.

Bad contrast (often around 700:1 and lower)

VA: (vertical alignment)

Slowest (altough there is 1 exception in the Samsung G7/G9 where it's actually faster than any IPS/TN monitor that i've seen)

Can have issues with slower pixel transitions in dark areas. (commonly known as dark smearing)

Best contrast (can display the deepest blacks, often around 2500:1)

Worse viewing angles than IPS, but better than TN.

IPS: (in-plane-switching)

Best color reproduction (altough modern VAs can also compete here)

Mediocre contrast (often around 1000:1)

Response times a bit slower than TN, but normally faster than VA.

Best viewing angles.

IPS is the best allrounder and is most common in high-end displays. However VA is the better choice for HDR support because of the better contrast.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Very short answer 

TN is very responsive, very low latency, good for high Hz panels (ex 144 Hz and higher) BUT has more washed out colors AND colors tend to drift as you move your head to the side of the screen (ex if you look from the side, or if you look from under the monitor up , colors will change a bit) ... basically poor view angles

VA has very good contrast, can do nice blacks, reproduced colors much better so it's very good for movies, you get sharper colors due to the deeper blacks. The tradeoff is higher latency (it takes more time for a pixel to fully change from one color to another), so while you can find va monitors that do 144 Hz, the latency is higher than TN or IPS so you may get some blurring at high Hz. No problem with view angles.

IPS has very good colors, but NOT as great blacks as VA panels, great for movies.. no view angle issues. A bit better than VA these days at latency, less blurring at high refresh rates. 

Some IPS monitors can have a thing called ips glow which can be annoying for some people : https://www.limscave.com/reduce-ips-glow

Unless you're a competitive gamer that really needs that highest refresh rate, go for IPS... that's the only reason you'd get TN these days. 

VA is a perfectly fine choice after IPS, and if you have a not so fast video card that will average 60-100 fps on that 144 Hz monitor, you most likely won't notice or be bothered by the higher latency of the VA panels.

Edited by mariushm
forgot a NOT in the IPS paragraph, added it... was fairly obvious

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

IPS has very good colors, but as great blacks as VA panels, great for movies

?

IPS contrast/black level is closer to TN than VA.

@OP

Generally IPS is the best all around tech, but VA might come into consideration when often using the monitor in the dark.

So if I don't really care about viewing angles and super fast respond time, I would better off get a VA display?

10 minutes ago, JaaaaAAaaaaY said:

So if I don't really care about viewing angles and super fast respond time, I would better off get a VA display?

At that price range only VA strength is better contrast than others. Probably.

All depends what model you are looking at.

Using any of the technologies I have gotten used to VA and IPS afer a while, TN is just not worth it at all anymore, newer TN might have better colors, but still not too good considering VA and IPS.

What if other than 1080p, what great option are there for 1440p? (also under 300USD)

1 minute ago, JaaaaAAaaaaY said:

Would the LG 27GN800-B also be a viable option?

It would. If the G27Q would be unavailble/pricey.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

It would. If the G27Q would be unavailble/pricey.

Okay thank you ❤️