Powering fans and drives without a PSU and Mobo

TechRural

Hi all. I recently bought a server mobo(Intel S2600GZ) which came with no way to power 3 pins socket fans or SATA disks. I'm currently using as workaround a secondary consumer mobo and PSU to power both devices, but this is ineficient to say the least. I was wondering if someone had any idea on how to power the fans and the disks in much simpler and efficient way?

Thanks!!

IMG_20210707_165643665_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210707_165634373_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210707_165616640.jpg

Get a USB fan controller, and grab the power supply for it from a connector on the server mobo?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks for the tip, will look into that! And what about powering the SATA disks, any idea? Regards.

43 minutes ago, TechRural said:

Thanks for the tip, will look into that! And what about powering the SATA disks, any idea? Regards.

If you don't mind having a second PSU, you can get the second board out of the equation by either using a PSU jumper tool (available pretty cheaply) or jamming a paper clip between the green and black wires on your PSU.

The real problem is that server boards like this are designed to be used in proprietary chassis where fan mounts, drive bays, etc are all built into the case/backplanes, so they often are missing those features in the way you'd see them on a consumer board.

You should be able to find the necessary power rails on the server motherboard. If you feel comfortable doing so, it would not be difficult to tap into those power rails right at the connector where the power supply plugs in. Then you can make your own wiring harness. 

As a warning, these rails carry a lot of current (30 amps or more) so that part of the board will have a lot of thermal mass. I've done this a few times (on different boards, obviously). If you have a Metcal, use an STTC-117 tip and you'll be fine. An STTC-136 would work acceptably well too. 

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

the proper fix, if you can find it:
image.png.6a8182f95f009e0d11d73f28ee4acf4a.png

But that doesn't seem to be available online anymore.

The pinout of the 6 pin was shared online, so you could covert a PSU Modular cable to plug in:

w5na9Ot.jpeg

@tkitch many thanks for sharing this! Just one thing that isn't clear. Should I take a standard sata molex power cable and adapt it so it fits the ODD/SDD slot? If so, the pinout shared, shows two 5v pins but the cable only has one. How do we go around this?

image.png.be8572c7878363d45b9358201235733a.png