How to Create a Proxy?

MrMLGBlade
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
11 minutes ago, MrMLGBlade said:

Is it possible for a average person to create a few proxies? And will the proxy be able to speed up connection rate!?

In general any additional system in your network setup will add latency and at best leave your speed as it is.

The primary advantage of a (caching) proxy (on your local network) would be that it may be able to satisfy requests from its cache rather than going out to the internet at all. In that case you would get a speedup, since you're not actually running through your ISP's connection.

In a company with thousands of employees this may save a fair amount of bandwidth/traffic (which is important if you have to pay for that). However the disadvantage could be that information you see isn't necessarily the most current.

The other purpose of a proxy is typically to filter internet traffic and e.g. make sure employees can't visit certain sites at all.

Is it possible for a average person to create a few proxies? And will the proxy be able to speed up connection rate!?

No they will not speed up your internet connection.

You can create them using hosting providers, sure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 minutes ago, MrMLGBlade said:

In general any additional system in your network setup will add latency and at best leave your speed as it is.

The primary advantage of a (caching) proxy (on your local network) would be that it may be able to satisfy requests from its cache rather than going out to the internet at all. In that case you would get a speedup, since you're not actually running through your ISP's connection.

In a company with thousands of employees this may save a fair amount of bandwidth/traffic (which is important if you have to pay for that). However the disadvantage could be that information you see isn't necessarily the most current.

The other purpose of a proxy is typically to filter internet traffic and e.g. make sure employees can't visit certain sites at all.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What exactly do you think a proxy does?

Does what it always have done.

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No they will not speed up your internet connection.

You can create them using hosting providers, sure.

I know that, but can we really trust a few dollars with data?

1 minute ago, MrMLGBlade said:

Does what it always have done.

which is what?

Just now, MrMLGBlade said:

I know that, but can we really trust a few dollars with data?

... what?

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thanks! Truly makes sense to listen to what you got to say. I have UNLIMITED data amount of bandwidth/traffic- so saving doesn't really matter I just thought it would be great to keep it out of ISP's view... again I appreciate your long & tall response, I've now changed my mind and am going to purchase a VPN/Proxy/DNS

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

which is what?

... what?

Huh, hum... Ehhh... WT hekk!

4 minutes ago, MrMLGBlade said:

Thanks! Truly makes sense to listen to what you got to say. I have UNLIMITED data amount of bandwidth/traffic- so saving doesn't really matter I just thought it would be great to keep it out of ISP's view... again I appreciate your long & tall response, I've now changed my mind and am going to purchase a VPN/Proxy/DNS

While a VPN makes sure that all data that passes through your ISP is encrypted, the VPN provider now takes the role of your ISP, meaning they can see your traffic.

Of course most traffic these days is HTTPS anyway, so neither your ISP (or VPN provider) can see anything other than the host name you connect to. The data that passes between you and the website (e.g. this forum) is encrypted so your ISP can't see anything anyway. In other words a VPN does pretty much nothing to improve security or privacy. You're just replacing one company potentially spying on your data with another.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

While a VPN makes sure that all data that passes through your ISP is encrypted, the VPN provider now takes the role of your ISP, meaning they can see your traffic.

Of course most traffic these days is HTTPS anyway, so neither your ISP (or VPN provider) can see anything other than the host name you connect to. The data that passes between you and the website (e.g. this forum) is encrypted so your ISP can't see anything anyway. In other words a VPN does pretty much nothing to improve security or privacy. You're just replacing one company potentially spying on your data with another.

I know that of course! I just wanted the reaction of the community, tho I did need advice. Thanks! 😄

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Networking

Thanks!