Help with Multi-Monitor Setup (want a Batcave :))

denning

Looking for some help/device designing an awesome multi-monitor setup.

Been working with dual 27” inch – cheaper 4k dell monitors for years, along with a LG 42’ smart TV that is normally used for streaming (Netflix), but is sometimes used as a third monitor from time to time (i.e. watching conference presentations)

Attaching a pic of the current setup. (sorry for the mess)

Two things have inspired the change, 1. One of my monitors has a large dark spot and 2. Recently upgraded to a new machine with a 3070 RTX

My needs are somewhat simple – I don’t game often (have a PS5/TV for that) but I real like having a lot of screen estate – I don’t need the most expensive monitors but I also don’t want to go too cheap. 

My current desk layout has 45 inches of desk space but I am looking to use a mount to allow for overhang

Questions

·       do I need/want 4k (I tend to sample up to 150% resolution anyways)

·       layout and number of monitors

o   four smaller monitors (2 on top; 2 on bottom)

o   two ultra widescreen monitors (1 on top; 1 on bottom)

o   hybrid – one ultra high screen on top/bottom with two smaller monitors

Really appreciate everyone’s thoughts – I want to be able to sit down and say “I’m batman”

20210704_165346.jpg

at 27" 4K is overkill.  2K is more than fine.

You can get decent 2K Monitors at a reasonable price if you're not after high-end gaming specs.  

Don't do ultrawide unless you're used to split screening apps.  UW is too wide for comfortable text reading / web browsing, etc.

11 minutes ago, denning said:

Looking for some help/device designing an awesome multi-monitor setup.

Been working with dual 27” inch – cheaper 4k dell monitors for years, along with a LG 42’ smart TV that is normally used for streaming (Netflix), but is sometimes used as a third monitor from time to time (i.e. watching conference presentations)

Attaching a pic of the current setup. (sorry for the mess)

Two things have inspired the change, 1. One of my monitors has a large dark spot and 2. Recently upgraded to a new machine with a 3070 RTX

My needs are somewhat simple – I don’t game often (have a PS5/TV for that) but I real like having a lot of screen estate – I don’t need the most expensive monitors but I also don’t want to go too cheap. 

My current desk layout has 45 inches of desk space but I am looking to use a mount to allow for overhang

Questions

·       do I need/want 4k (I tend to sample up to 150% resolution anyways)

·       layout and number of monitors

o   four smaller monitors (2 on top; 2 on bottom)

o   two ultra widescreen monitors (1 on top; 1 on bottom)

o   hybrid – one ultra high screen on top/bottom with two smaller monitors

Really appreciate everyone’s thoughts – I want to be able to sit down and say “I’m batman”

20210704_165346.jpg

First of all, CLEAN YOUR DESK!!

I'd do either 4 monitors, or 2 ultrawide. Ultrawide monitors will give you a better curve usually, so you will be more surrounded.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

at 27" 4K is overkill.  2K is more than fine.

^ besides there's only ONE of those (that doesn't have other compromises that makes it SHIT) on the market atm and it has been out of stock for a long time (and is 1500$ anyways)

so yeah 2k is probably fine 🙂

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

I'd do either 4 monitors, or 2 ultrawide. Ultrawide monitors will give you a better curve usually, so you will be more surrounded.

He's not gaming.  Surrounding yourself in web browsers is a horrible experience 😛

38 minutes ago, denning said:

two ultra widescreen monitors (1 on top; 1 on bottom)

I have dual ultrawides side by side. As @tkitchpointed out you’re not going to full screen  a webpage on those. I have a 34” 1440p display and a 25” 1080p display. I have multiple web browser windows  open. On my smaller screen I have on web browser open with social media, my text messages open ( MacBook Pro + iphone= awesome) and a discord window open. Ultrawides are good for gaming (when the games support it) and watching movies ( both Netflix and Amazon have content that takes advantage of the aspect ratio). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

33 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

I did apologize for the mess!

I don't mind the surround concept as I currently have two monitors in a v-shape anyways.

Any suggestions on the actual monitors to get (deals are nice) and a decent mount?