Advice 6900 XT vs 3080 MSRP

Exeon
Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,

I'd get the MSRP card you can get now vs one you might not get later.

The situation is as follows:

I've ordered the 3080 Asus tuf at msrp in September 2020.

If I'm lucky I'll get it at the end of the year, basically this model is just hard to get by as other 3080's are available but well beyond msrp.

The scalped market is pretty much crashed for AMD.

I'm now able to buy a 6900 XT at msrp, but this means it's a 1000€ card.

I'm considering buying it and cancelling my order on my 3080.

TDLR: Cancel my pending msrp 3080 to buy a msrp 6900xt?

I play on 2.5k at the moment

I do like ray tracing and dlss but it's not make or break for me.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

You could do that. The 6900XT is a more powerful card by around 15% in most games. Plus with AMD's launch of FFX it makes a Radeon card more worth it.

Keep in mind FSR works on both platforms; means the nvidia card still has a one up as it will have upscaling on more games.

6900XT is faster than the 3080 in most rasterized games unless they support DLSS - then the tables turn. If you want ray tracing, I can't recommend any of the AMD cards.

But none of that matters on a card you can't get. Get the one at MSPR you can get now, IMO.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

21 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Solid advice

21 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Keep in mind FSR works on both platforms; means the nvidia card still has a one up as it will have upscaling on more games.

6900XT is faster than the 3080 in most rasterized games unless they support DLSS - then the tables turn. If you want ray tracing, I can't recommend any of the AMD cards.

But none of that matters on a card you can't get. Get the one at MSPR you can get now, IMO.

DLSS and RTX do matter to me, but not in a sense where I'd pay 200-300€ more just for a setting that at the current rate can pop up now and then.

The only game I'm planning to play where it matters is metro exodus.

I called the retailer today and they pretty much straight up told me I'm not getting my 3080.

Basically they aren't recieving any Asus Tuf 3080's non OC cards anymore and haven't for a while, day 1 orders haven't been filled yet, the only reason I'm moving up the queue is because cancellations.

They have gone ahead and asked Asus if they plan to actually make non OC versions or if they plan to just discontinue them but they haven't made any official statements.

I bought the 6900 XT just now, it's a little over MSRP at 1075€ (MSRP is like 1015€) but it was still sealed, the MSRP one was used so rather pay the little bit extra over a used card.

Never bought an AMD product in my life, so this gives them a good chance, quite happy about FreeSync and FSR being available to all that I do believe they deserve it.

Thanks for the advice all.

6 minutes ago, Exeon said:

Solid advice

DLSS and RTX do matter to me, but not in a sense where I'd pay 200-300€ more just for a setting that at the current rate can pop up now and then.

The only game I'm planning to play where it matters is metro exodus.

I called the retailer today and they pretty much straight up told me I'm not getting my 3080.

Basically they aren't recieving any Asus Tuf 3080's non OC cards anymore and haven't for a while, day 1 orders haven't been filled yet, the only reason I'm moving up the queue is because cancellations.

They have gone ahead and asked Asus if they plan to actually make non OC versions or if they plan to just discontinue them but they haven't made any official statements.

I bought the 6900 XT just now, it's a little over MSRP at 1075€ (MSRP is like 1015€) but it was still sealed, the MSRP one was used so rather pay the little bit extra over a used card.

Never bought an AMD product in my life, so this gives them a good chance, quite happy about FreeSync and FSR being available to all that I do believe they deserve it.

Thanks for the advice all.

When these new GPUs were announced last year, I actually wanted the 6800XT at $649. The opportunity never presented itself and I only got the ASUS TUF 3080 OC because, well, the opportunity presented itself.

Things are calming down a bit it seems on demand, so perhaps being able to be more selective will be a thing later. But now you just get what you can get at a reasonable price, whatever that may be.

I would not be unhappy at all with a 6900XT - to make you feel a little better last month I got a replacement for my wife's GPU and we were hunting for GPUs for months. Ended up finally winning a Newegg Shuffle for an ASUS KO 3070 + ASUS B550-F Gaming. Well that ended up being about $1k USD. The GPU itself was priced at $750, which is WAY above what it should be, and then I was stuck with a useless motherboard I didn't need.

So I would absolutely have preferred a 6900XT at ~$1270 instead of $1k for a 3070 and an extraneous motherboard.

Congratulations on landing an MSRP GPU!

Do you like ray tracing more than resolution and framerate? that is the question

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:08 AM, LOST TALE said:

Do you like ray tracing more than resolution and framerate? that is the question

I think Ray tracing is cool as a concept, and games like control make it work really well paired with DLSS.

Although I do think it's additional value on the card I don't think it's worth paying a lot more for, not at this point.

Most games with RTX will bring most cards to its knees, I'm not into losing 40 frames for fancy lighting.

Congrats on the 6900 XT. Should have a fun time with that thang there.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)