Need help understanding ryzen idle power consumption

pani_alex

I bought a new pc (5600x, asus tuf gaming b550-plus, crucial ballistix 32gb 3600mhz cl16, rx 6700 xt, m2 1tb, sata ssd 500gb, sata ssd 256gb, gigabyte 750w psu 80+ gold), i was expecting better idle power consumption (40~60w on the wall) wile i was on web or just typing text but i have just the same unrasonable 100w(on the wall with a kill a wat metter) and over power consumption wile im doing basically nothing. 

The old ancient pc was a dell presicion T3500 with x5680 and 24gb ram, all the rest the same. Was i unrasonable for expecting lower consumption? or do i have to tune something to get there?

15 minutes ago, pani_alex said:

but i have just the same unrasonable 100w(on the wall with a kill a wat metter) and over power consumption wile im doing basically nothing. 

Zen sacrifices idle efficiency to have a more efficient load, because at idle it can go up to 1.37-1.4V to the CPU. You can manually downvolt it on your own though, with most going 1.325V or lower before they have to downclock it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Like @SorryClaire said. But it's desktop CPUs in general. Idle power consumption is not that important on desktop. On a mobile CPU you'd find much lower idle consumption for example for battery saving reasons.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

ok, but after a decade is there no improvement in power consumption? a intel 8th gen get half of that and before i bought the pc i google it and most of the people say they get arround 50w, also there is a Linus video where they get a ryzen under 50w with tweaking so i was realy waiting at least near 50w

1 minute ago, pani_alex said:

ok, but after a decade is there no improvement in power consumption? 

The x5680's TDP under load is twice the Ryzen's, conservatively speaking.  

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

yes, that pc could idle between 100/120w and under full load dont remember any more, 200w or so

2 minutes ago, pani_alex said:

yes, that pc could idle between 100/120w and under full load dont remember any more, 200w or so

Right, and the 5600X's power consumption under load is like ~75W while crushing the x5680 in  performance, so I don't get why you're saying there's been no improvement in a decade. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Right, and the 5600X's power consumption under load is like ~75W while crushing the x5680 in  performance, so I don't get why you're saying there's been no improvement in a decade. 

im talking about idle and why cant a i get what others clame

Just now, pani_alex said:

im talking about idle and why cant a i get what others clame

Ryzen CPU's idle somewhat high because of how they're designed. In compensation they're much more efficient under load, which most people would say is preferable. So I don't think it's fair to say nothing has gotten better in a decade. The 5600X demolishes your old workstation chip at a fraction of the price for half the power consumption or less. 

You are right, but again, im talking about idling, im not saying that the 5600x is a peace of crap, just that after so much time im finding hard to beleave its still the same, also how are others reaching such a low power. So i asked here just in case some one cant teach me the keys to reach that, im still investigating on how to make undervolt but so far i have seen each motherboard maker name the option menus diferent so am in the proces of learning this board

low power is very importand when your doing office work and in 2021 100w is considered a power eater

22 hours ago, pani_alex said:

low power is very importand when your doing office work

Which is still a load. You wanna know when your PC is idling nowadays with telemetries and updates? When you disconnect it to the internet and you not touching it, basically turning it to a glorified digital picture frame computer. And besides, Kill-A-Watt is also for OVERALL system, not just the CPU itself. Because it takes measuring from the PSU, which powers a lot more things.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:59 PM, pani_alex said:

ok, but after a decade is there no improvement in power consumption? a intel 8th gen get half of that and before i bought the pc i google it and most of the people say they get arround 50w, also there is a Linus video where they get a ryzen under 50w with tweaking so i was realy waiting at least near 50w

my pc uses like 50w (60w going in) while "idling" (that is no more than 1-2% CPU usage) 

20210706_194610.thumb.jpg.95fcf6610f590eb92c23a3789b400516.jpg

So i do believe if yours uses a *lot* more thats not normal, but your cpu probably consumes slightly more power than mine - Im guessing.

PS: 60-70w while watching a yt video at 3-10% cpu usage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 weeks later...

does a smaller motherboard consumes a huge porcentage less?, becouse i know more ram uses more energy but 16gb its not any more enought if you are doing some complicated/heavy thing, and between a small and a large motherboard the problem is you may not be able to upgrade it so i chouse the one that will give me more options in the future.

but ok, i accept it consumes what it consumes in idle even thow that is not i will exepect a decade later. Thanks to all