Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-gay marriage controversy

I just had a dude telling me that baseless opinions are idiocy. Is there a standard for this that I'm not aware of?

I wrote that post, because I'm coming from country where most people doesn't like gay people and gay marriage because minority (gay organizations) is telling everyone they need to like them and they're demanding their rights even though they're not telling what kind of rights they are demanding. I mean, remotely, we all know they want to parade in their underwear and that kind of stuff, but that's not their right. I don't even know who put that idea in their heads. Everyone (straight people, gay people, aliens, whatever) would be arrested for disturbing the public order if they did that, but somehow these organizations  have altered this law in their head and they're saying this is gay rights violation. Sad fact is that didn't even managed to convince whole gay community to join them.

Now, my country in a relatively short period of time went through communist era, then some kind of nationalist era, now we are a democratic country. There were gay people in all of this eras and no one ever violated their rights. There wasn't even general rejection of gay people back then as opposed to now, but these so called gay activists and non profit organizations definitely have their finger involved in this.

This is off topic, but I wrote this because I see people getting laughed at and called idiots because of their opinion, not just on the internet, but also in my country as well, and I don't like that. 

Just LOOOOOOOOOOL! Have you ever even meet a gay person? Just even once?

Or wait.....MAYBE THE GAY LOBBY JUST GOT TO ME!? Have my gay friends been running around in their underpants without me knowing all along? Can it be?

How many pride parades are there in your country yearly? one? And the gays who walk in that one are probably under massive risk of brutal beatdowns from straight bigots like they are in russia, ukraine and basically most other eastern european countries....

wow....those gay bastards really are the bad guys.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

This

Respect peoples opinion. Not everyone has to like gay marriage. People could care less what gay people are doing in their private life, but if person/organization is forcing them to accept gay marriage and is calling their opinion stupid, that person/organization is violating basic democratic principles... in other words that's fascism.

Fascist Italy declared homosexuality to be a social disease.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I believe in true equality for everyone, even people who at one time several years ago supported something that I hated.

1) We established that the fact that it was 6 years ago is only evidence that he continues to support said stances. Like I said it would be fairly easy to just step back and apologize or state that he changed his mind, if he didn't it implicitly means he still thinks not only that gays shouldn't marry but that we should legislate it so.

2) You can't possibly give equal treatment to somebody who doesn't gives equal treatment to others: You automatically loose your impartiality in doing so. Giving equal treatment for everyone means that the same should be expected in return, otherwise you'll play one side against the other by accepting close-minded and absolutist views like opposing gay marriage.

I just had a dude telling me that baseless opinions are idiocy. Is there a standard for this that I'm not aware of?

I wrote that post, because I'm coming from country where most people doesn't like gay people and gay marriage because minority (gay organizations) is telling everyone they need to like them and they're demanding their rights even though they're not telling what kind of rights they are demanding. I mean, remotely, we all know they want to parade in their underwear and that kind of stuff, but that's not their right. I don't even know who put that idea in their heads. Everyone (straight people, gay people, aliens, whatever) would be arrested for disturbing the public order if they did that, but somehow these organizations have altered this law in their head and they're saying this is gay rights violation. Sad fact is that didn't even managed to convince whole gay community to join them.

Now, my country in a relatively short period of time went through communist era, then some kind of nationalist era, now we are a democratic country. There were gay people in all of this eras and no one ever violated their rights. There wasn't even general rejection of gay people back then as opposed to now, but these so called gay activists and non profit organizations definitely have their finger involved in this.

This is off topic, but I wrote this because I see people getting laughed at and called idiots because of their opinion, not just on the internet, but also in my country as well, and I don't like that.

Is gay marriage legal in your country then? Can gay people or gay couples adopt children? Is there any laws protecting people from work discrimination due to their sexual orientation?

All of those are rights (likely) not being afforded to the gay community. One does not has to be openly aggressive towards somebody to still be basically treating them as a second class citizen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can't believe that certain people basically forced this guy out of a job for HIS OPINIONS. They're HIS OPINIONS and NOT Mozilla's opinions. People need to learn the difference, grow up, and at least tolerate/respect the person you don't agree with. If you can't do that, then you're no better.

COMIC SANS

I don't understand what happened to free speech in this country. You can have free speech as long as it matches what the liberal media wants you to say. I personally think it was fine for him to donate to a cause he believed in. His personal life and his business life are two separate things. If he had voted for gay marriage people would be celebrating but no they have to pout like children for not getting what they wanted. Also, what does it being 2014 have to do with anything? Last time I checked the year didn't mean your opinions and beliefs have to change. Peoples views these days change because they are told to change by the media not because they want them to change. It's a real shame what this country has come to.

I don't understand what happened to free speech in this country. You can have free speech as long as it matches what the liberal media wants you to say. I personally think it was fine for him to donate to a cause he believed in. His personal life and his business life are two separate things. If he had voted for gay marriage people would be celebrating but no they have to pout like children for not getting what they wanted. Also, what does it being 2014 have to do with anything? Last time I checked the year didn't mean your opinions and beliefs have to change. Peoples views these days change because they are told to change by the media not because they want them to change. It's a real shame what this country has come to.

Not understanding the concept of free speech 101.

How can america be the land of free speech when most of their citizens clearly doesn't understand what the whole concept is about?

Free speech means that nobody can arrest him or prosecute him for his views. He hasn't even been fired...HE RESIGNED! If mozilla fired him, they would only have to proof that he hurt business which would be done by a single complaint.

Ohhh the horrible liberal media = Any media that isn't crazy conservative....even if the newspaper or news site or tv station is just normal, sane conservative, then its the liberal media... And you will straight out not believe anything that doesn't come from somebody who is saying EXACTLY what you want to hear.

Again, paying someone to pass a law that discriminates gay people and takes away basic fundamental rights isn't merely an opinion. That was an action, what we call a direct action in politics in fact, and an extremely offensive and reprehensible one for some. You guys are still acting as if there was any actual discrimination against him: Social backlash it's just that. Public opinion is not the same as legislation, not by a long shot. Just as he is entitled to his opinion and contribution, people are also entitled to react and say "I don't want your business" and "I don't want you to lead this company". Unlike him, nobody is trying to pass a law that would forbid him from being a CEO while having this opinion, instead civil people choose not to do business with him, not to support him, etc. 

Honestly, when you guys make comments like those you sound like closet bigots (pun intended) who are coming just short of saying "yes I also think gays shouldn't marry and would vote a law that said so" basically giving grounds to new apartheid. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can't believe that certain people basically forced this guy out of a job for HIS OPINIONS. They're HIS OPINIONS and NOT Mozilla's opinions. People need to learn the difference, grow up, and at least tolerate/respect the person you don't agree with. If you can't do that, then you're no better.

And he resigned....

Again, paying someone to pass a law that discriminates gay people and takes away basic fundamental rights isn't merely an opinion. That was an action, what we call a direct action in politics in fact, and an extremely offensive and reprehensible one for some. You guys are still acting as if there was any actual discrimination against him: Social backlash it's just that. Public opinion is not the same as legislation, not by a long shot. Just as he is entitled to his opinion and contribution, people are also entitled to react and say "I don't want your business" and "I don't want you to lead this company". Unlike him, nobody is trying to pass a law that would forbid him from being a CEO while having this opinion, instead civil people choose not to do business with him, not to support him, etc.

Honestly, when you guys make comments like those you sound like closet bigots (pun intended) who are coming just short of saying "yes I also think gays shouldn't marry and would vote a law that said so" basically giving grounds to new apartheid.

Thank you.....why is it that people don't understand the fundamentals of free speech. Nobody is making a law that makes being a bigot illegal.

Then whatever was wrong with Hitler? I mean, his views on Jewish and gay people were just his opinion after all. And what about the KKK? Just opinions, yeah? ;)

This man forfeited his right to to be 'tolerated' and 'respected' the moment he made it clear that he would actively work towards making life more difficult and painful for a massive group of people in this world - and this will remain true until such a time as he decides to elaborate on his position or apologise. Whether or not he would be capable of running Mozilla is irrelevant - the fact that he holds bigoted views throws any of his credibility to hold such a position right out of the window.

I'd like to just point something out. There is a world of difference between having an opinion and enforcing that opinion upon others. There is a massive difference between disliking gay people personally and contributing money to oppress them. 

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just wondering how much further the gay agenda is going to press on without realizing how sadly ironic their views on equality are.

this

this

That response combined with that profile pic = Epic

I'm all for gay rights, but this man has the right to have an opinion of his own. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'm all for gay rights, but this man has the right to have an opinion of his own. 

Which was harmed, how exactly? He resigned.......

Having an opinion is fine. He doesn't just have an opinion, he contributed money to enforce his opinion to the detriment of other people.

Actions aren't opinions.

Do I think he should have resigned?

No

But I do think people should be held accountable for ridiculous views that they hold.

So opposing cancer is ridiculous nowdays? ok...

If mozilla hired a CEO who wanted to make interracial marriages illegal, we would not have this discussion. We would all agree that he would be a dick.

So opposing cancer is ridiculous nowdays? ok...

LOOOL....Please, god, PLEEEEEASE elaborate on that. I simply have to see this

How, exactly is opposing gay rights the same as opposing cancer?

Not understanding the concept of free speech 101.

How can america be the land of free speech when most of their citizens clearly doesn't understand what the whole concept is about?

Free speech means that nobody can arrest him or prosecute him for his views. He hasn't even been fired...HE RESIGNED! If mozilla fired him, they would only have to proof that he hurt business which would be done by a single complaint.

Ohhh the horrible liberal media = Any media that isn't crazy conservative....even if the newspaper or news site or tv station is just normal, sane conservative, then its the liberal media... And you will straight out not believe anything that doesn't come from somebody who is saying EXACTLY what you want to hear.

He was forced to resign based on his views. There is barely any conservative media out there. Fox news barely. They used to be but not that much anymore. Plus, everyone naturally attracts to people with like views. Why would i watch MSNBC when all they do is try to make me believe that Obama is a great president. I'm not going to sit there and get lied to. Investigative journalism is dead. All they feed you is lies and what they want you to believe.

Just LOOOOOOOOOOL! Have you ever even meet a gay person? Just even once?

Or wait.....MAYBE THE GAY LOBBY JUST GOT TO ME!? Have my gay friends been running around in their underpants without me knowing all along? Can it be?

How many pride parades are there in your country yearly? one? And the gays who walk in that one are probably under massive risk of brutal beatdowns from straight bigots like they are in russia, ukraine and basically most other eastern european countries....

wow....those gay bastards really are the bad guys.

My friend, I've seen so called 'gay activists' causing public unrest on the streets while parading, I also saw 'gay activists' laughing at people for expressing their opinion on state TV.

There are no pride parades here as of 2010, because of security risks. Bigots usually get beat down by special anti-terrorist units, don't worry about that.

I also have two gay friends that don't approve anything that I mentioned here, because those activists are not representing them, they're representing non government organization that fund them.

Lol all you want.  :)

Fascist Italy declared homosexuality to be a social disease.

I didn't say that. Read again.

Is gay marriage legal in your country then? Can gay people or gay couples adopt children? Is there any laws protecting people from work discrimination due to their sexual orientation? 

All of those are rights (likely) not being afforded to the gay community. One does not has to be openly aggressive towards somebody to still be basically treating them as a second class citizen.

Gay people can't adopt children in my country and gay marriage is not a human right according to European Union. Problem with gay parade is that activists are not asking for this rights, they're here to cause public unrest. Mix that with ultra conservative people and you got yourself a high security risk on the street. This is something that guy I was quoting above will never understand.

On the other hand, gay community is asking to be accepted in our society, which they are and these are the laws that protects them:

Labor Law

The Law on higher education

The Broadcasting Act

The Public information Act

Anti-discrimination Law

A hate crime

Legal sex change

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

He was forced to resign based on his views. There is barely any conservative media out there. Fox news barely. They used to be but not that much anymore. Plus, everyone naturally attracts to people with like views. Why would i watch MSNBC when all they do is try to make me believe that Obama is a great president. I'm not going to sit there and get lied to. Investigative journalism is dead. All they feed you is lies and what they want you to believe.

Thank you for proving my point.

"Investigative journalism has proves your point is dead"....oh, and nobody should listen to MSNBC except for Rachel Maddow who actually rules.

Nobody should listed to any ONE thing. And no tv station nor media should tell you whether Obama is a good president.

You should read different news media and make up your own mind instead of labering everybody in the media who doesn't think exactly like you as the liberal media, or as lying to me.

If a journalist says that Obama is a great president, then that person isn't a really good journalist but he surely isn't lying. He just doesn't disagree with you.

My friend, I've seen so called 'gay activists' causing public unrest on the streets while parading, I also saw 'gay activists' laughing at people for expressing their opinion on state TV.

There are no pride parades here as of 2010, because of security risks. Bigots usually get beat down by special anti-terrorist units, don't worry about that.

I also have two gay friends that don't approve anything that I mentioned here, because those activists are not representing them, they're representing non government organization that fund them.

Lol all you want. :)

Gay people can't adopt children in my country and gay marriage is not a human right according to European Union. Problem with gay parade is that activists are not asking for this rights, they're here to cause public unrest. Mix that with ultra conservative people and you got yourself a high security risk on the street. This is something that guy I was quoting above will never understand.

On the other hand, gay community is asking to be accepted in our society, which they are and these are the laws that protects them:

Labor Law

The Broadcasting Act

Anti-discrimination Law

A hate crime

Legal sex change

Labor law = Nope. They are asking for exactly the same rights you have under those kind of laws

The Law on higher education = The same

The Broadcasting Act = The same

The Public information Act = The same

Anti-discrimination Law = The same

A hate crime = So beating up black people should be a hate crime but not beating up gay people?

Legal sex change = Why should they not be allowed to change sex?

They want to cause social unrest? How? By holding ZERO freaking parades during an entire year....One when they can get the security to protect them? Wow, what a terrible situation for you to witness. One freaking parade.

Wow.....You are really under siege there buddy.

Again, he was not forced to resign based upon his opinion. He was forced to resign because of the backlash of an ACTION which he took. There is a distinct and important difference between the two.

Labor law = Nope. They are asking for exactly the same rights you have under those kind of laws

The Law on higher education = The same

The Broadcasting Act = The same

The Public information Act = The same

Anti-discrimination Law = The same

A hate crime = So beating up black people should be a hate crime but not beating up gay people?

Legal sex change = Why should they not be allowed to change sex?

They want to cause social unrest? How? By holding ZERO freaking parades during an entire year....One when they can get the security to protect them? Wow, what a terrible situation for you to witness. One freaking parade.

Wow.....You are really under siege there buddy.

They have the same rights. Maybe they're the same laws, but those laws are in place and they are there to protect gay people.

There are zero parades because government forbids public assembly on that day because of security risks, and special forces are on the streets. It is what it is. There are orgs that abuse gay rights on one end, and there are orgs that abuse right-wing organizations on other end. That of course trigger social unrest and damage is done usually to police forces and state property. We are not living in Disneyland here. Maybe you are, but we are not.

Also I have an impression that you're not reading carefully.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I actually had a discussion with a friend of mine about this. Where I said that I was irritated that this was even a concern - as I feel that, to be blunt without being offensive, topics like gay marriage and legalization of marijuana are distractions from the bigger problems of this country. To throw a tissy fit about a CEO based on their opposition to gay marriage (bigoted and stupid as it is) without regards to the results of their efforts is ridiculously close-minded and braindead. He made the counter-argument that Mozilla and its programmers form a free community where nobody underneath wants someone openly-opposed to their beliefs above - as much of the Firefox community is pro-LBGT.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Way to go.....Most bigoted post of that day ladies and gentlemen. Describing a sexuality as a disease.....

What do you want them to do? Shoot themselves?

Lol all you want.  :)

Labor Law

The Broadcasting Act

Anti-discrimination Law

A hate crime

Legal sex change

so they can get married in your country no worries then? they can adopt a child if they want?  What country are you in?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Visit doctor. It can be treated.

You are some piece of work.

no it can't. Now please go away.

How you were able to add a please to that sentence is amazing to me. You are a far better person than I would have been in your position.