Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-gay marriage controversy

He was forced to resign based on his views. There is barely any conservative media out there. Fox news barely. They used to be but not that much anymore. Plus, everyone naturally attracts to people with like views. Why would i watch MSNBC when all they do is try to make me believe that Obama is a great president. I'm not going to sit there and get lied to. Investigative journalism is dead. All they feed you is lies and what they want you to believe.

No, he was forced to resign because his actions negatively effected the organization.  Which can easily be proven with the basic uproar both on the net and the refusal of okcupid to allow access to ff users.  And that is fair enough, any organization that has it's image damage by an employee or ceo reserves the right to force them to resign or fire them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You are some piece of work.

How you were able to add a please to that sentence is amazing to me. You are a far better person than I would have been in your position.

I wouldn't be as nice in person.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

You know one thing I still don't understand? Is how people are against homo-sexuality.

So what if a guy wants to poke his banana in the nutella, not your problem.

There is literally no reasons to be against it, absolutely none.

Religious? As in, the bible says it's wrong?
Yes, amongst the myriad of other things the bible says is wrong but is openly practioned by many a people in the modern day but completely ignored because it contradicts people's arguments.

Personal preference, you think it's gross?
Yeah, sure, you're free to think what you like, but that shouldn't prevent others from doing it.
I personally think spinach is absolutely horrible and people shouldn't eat it but they do and some people enjoy it which is crazy, but I'm not going to prevent people from eating it, I won't picket and rally to prevent spinach from wanting to marry other spinach.
We live in a society that should accept the true love of spinach, no matter it's gender or tone of green.

Either way, slight tangent over, it's upsetting, to see someone be forced out one way or another out of their job before even being able to do anything in that job, I can understand that there would have to be an effect of all the backlash and that they can't afford to have a bad face leading the company, so it's really a sour situation all 'round, if you ask me. Either way, hopefully things work out for everyone, I guess.

so they can get married in your country no worries then? they can adopt a child if they want?  What country are you in?

There's no clause in our law that is allowing or forbidding gay couple to adopt a child. On the other hand - single person (straight or gay) can adopt a child.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

You know one thing I still don't understand? Is how people are against homo-sexuality.

Yes, amongst the myriad of other things the bible says is wrong but is openly practioned by many a people in the modern day but completely ignored because it contradicts people's arguments.

Yeah, sure, you're free to think what you like, but that shouldn't prevent others from doing it.

I personally think spinach is absolutely horrible and people shouldn't eat it but they do and some people enjoy it which is crazy, but I'm not going to prevent people from eating it, I won't picket and rally to prevent spinach from wanting to marry other spinach.

We live in a society that should accept the true love of spinach, no matter it's gender or tone of green.

Either way, slight tangent over, it's upsetting, to see someone be forced out one way or another out of their job before even being able to do anything in that job, I can understand that there would have to be an effect of all the backlash and that they can't afford to have a bad face leading the company, so it's really a sour situation all 'round, if you ask me. Either way, hopefully things work out for everyone, I guess.

Being in the closet can make a fella really, really angry apparantly. That usually explains at least 50% of the bigots.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I've started those things before on this forum many times. I don't anymore because people know my stance on it :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

There's no clause in our law that is allowing or forbidding gay couple to adopt a child. On the other hand - single person (straight or gay) can adopt a child.

but can they get married? and what country is it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They have the same rights. Maybe they're the same laws, but those laws are in place and they are there to protect gay people.

There are zero parades because government forbids public assembly on that day because of security risks, and special forces are on the streets. It is what it is. There are orgs that abuse gay rights on one end, and there are orgs that abuse right-wing organizations on other end. That of course trigger social unrest and damage is done usually to police forces and state property. We are not living in Disneyland here. Maybe you are, but we are not.

Also I have an impression that you're not reading carefully.

Fearing social unrest is the excuse dictators use when they want to use riot police.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

but can they get married? and what country is it?

They can not get married as gay marriage is not a human right in European Union. I said that in my post. I reserve the right for not to tell where I'm from, because of all the hate I received from Admire for simply stating the facts that are going on in my country.

Fearing social unrest is the excuse dictators use when they want to use riot police.

Maybe, but I don't live in totalitarian country. And yes we experienced social unrests because of these things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

But to actively oppose any form of civil liberty is bigotry.  And on top of that, are you suggesting people should not boycott a business who's CEO promotes discrimination?

Religious freedom is guaranteed by the Constitution, who you CHOOSE to get to married to is not. Also, the CEO did not "promote" anything. He made a 100% private donation to a political organization. Get your facts straight, you are making the same fake and BS claims that people tried to use against the Chick Fil A CEO. In neither case was a single LGBT employee or customer discriminated against. But in both cases the LGBT community and their supporters called for blood, boycotts and criminal charges all because of an individual's personal beliefs.

The employees of Mozilla still have the right to resign because they don't agree with CEO's beliefs. Users of Mozilla products have every right to boycott their products as well. While I agree a person's personal beliefs and work life are separate, he is the face of the company. His actions have potentially damaged the reputation of Mozilla. They have every right to try and get rid of him.

No, they don't. That makes YOU the bigot for saying he should be fired for his constitutionally protected religious beliefs. He made a private donation with his own personal money. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

They can not get married as gay marriage is not a human right in European Union. I said that in my post. I reserve the right for not to tell where I'm from, because of all the hate I received from Admire for simply stating the facts that are going on in my country.

Maybe, but I don't live in totalitarian country. And yes we experienced social unrests because of these things.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong, Ten European countries legally recognize same-sex marriage and a further 22 legally recognise some form of same sex union. So while your country is prohibiting gay marriage it is actively participating in oppression.  You can hardly be angry at people for wanting what everyone else has.  Your country is as bigoted as the US Australia and any other country that refuses to accept gay marriage.

I don't know if some people here just like to argue for the sake of argument of if they are truly incapable of understanding simple concepts.

To add to the wonderful post by NICKT let me make a really simple analogy:

- How would you feel if gay people told you that you shouldn't be able to marry a person from the opposite sex? Let's say you move into a predominantly gay country and they flatout treat straight people as second class citizens. Is that fair that you're now at a financial disadvantage, that you're now a second class citizen? You technically have several other rights like labour laws, anti-discrimination but gay people won't hire you or promote you if you're openly straight, if you get beat up for being straight the police wouldn't take it seriously and it wouldn't be a hate crime, etc.

It's easy to feel entitled and righteous saying "oh I should have the right to my opinion which is gays should not marry!" or "Yeah let him have that opinion as long as it doesn't immediately interferes with his job, I like to kid myself into thinking a bigot would make those disctinctions!"  But until you know what it's like to be discriminated, persecuted and hated because of who you are, how mother nature made you then you shouldn't give your 2 cents on this.

Because otherwise, we should also ban interracial couples, I also think it's ridiculous that you marry somebody too fat for you or too ugly, short guy? Yeah short guys shouldn't be allowed to marry tall girls because it's yucky and I find it disgusting and my god Jebus told me it's wrong! You get the picture.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Religious freedom is guaranteed by the Constitution, who you CHOOSE to get to married to is not. Also, the CEO did not "promote" anything. He made a 100% private donation to a political organization. Get your facts straight, you are making the same fake and BS claims that people tried to use against the Chick Fil A CEO. In neither case was a single LGBT employee or customer discriminated against. But in both cases the LGBT community and their supporters called for blood, boycotts and criminal charges all because of an individual's personal beliefs.

Are you for real?  that is possibly one of the most deluded posts I have read in this thread.

No, they don't. That makes YOU the bigot for saying he should be fired for his constitutionally protected religious beliefs. He made a private donation with his own personal money. 

Yes it does...the constitution guarantees the right of interracial couples to marry as per Loving v. Virginia

Leading to this.

"In December 2013, the United States District Court for the District of Utah repeatedly cited Loving in its decision Kitchen v. Herbert, which held unconstitutional Utah's ban on same-sex marriage. In February 2014, Judge Arenda L. Wright Allen writing for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in Bostic v. Rainey, which struck down Virginia's ban, not only cited Loving, but prefaced her opinion with Mildred Loving's above-mentioned statement of 2007"

Am I supportive of gay marriage? Yes

Am I supportive of someone being insulted all over the internet and having to resign because of his anti gay marriage stance? No

Let people have their own views as long as they're not harming anyone directly. He hardly donated a huge fund for prop 8 in California and it's not like as a CEO he allocated 10% of Mozilla's budget for this or anything. It was his personal money, it wasn't some type of "kill the gays" fund, so I don't see the reason this has to spill over into his professional life. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I haven't hated on you. And being gay IS a human right in the european union and all discrimination against gay people is illegal under EU laws and charters.

Am I supportive of someone being insulted all over the internet and having to resign because of his anti gay marriage stance? No

Let people have their own views as long as they're not harming anyone directly. He hardly donated a huge fund for prop 8 in California and it's not like as a CEO he allocated 10% of Mozilla's budget for this or anything. It was his personal money, it wasn't some type of "kill the gays" fund, so I don't see the reason this has to spill over into his professional life. 

Im not supportive of him being insulted...Not at all. His decision to resign is his however

Im not supportive of him being insulted...Not at all. His decision to resign is his however

he would never have resigned if there wasn't an insane amount of people boycotting mozilla, insulting him and talking about his action of donating 1000$ (which is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things and had nothing to do with mozilla, it was something he did in his personal life years ago)

He certainly didn't resign all by himself, I'm sure he was pressured to do so by others in the company. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Let people have their own views as long as they're not harming anyone directly. 

He funded a law that would personally harm people by denying them a basic right. Sorry but you can't just pretend is not a big deal because it was a long a go or not that much money or out of his personal pocket. He's a bigot, he supports hatred that directly tells people what they should and shouldn't do. Having that opinion means that you're not really that supportive of gay marriage. It would be the equivalent of saying "I'm not a racist, however I don't think people who support apartheid should suffer any backlash or resign jobs, he just contributed a little bit of money, personal money, it didn't affect his job he's just you know...a racist who thinks black people should go back to the back of the bus and have their own toilets and such"

Stop trying to minimize and apologize and create non-existent middle grounds: Hatred is hatred, there's no excuses for discriminating others. "Just a little bit" is not an excuse, "it was a long time ago" is not an excuse, "It was a personal opinion" it's not an excuse.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's preposterous.

'Religious freedom' is a thing. If you believe you're the only person who truly exists that's your prerogative, if you believe that the world is secretly ruled by a 5000 foot tall Oompa-Loompa that's your prerogative, if you believe in god that's your prerogative - if you believe in persecuting a group of people that's your prerogative. If you act to enforce that persecution you have lost the right to your religious freedom because you just crossed the line at which it is no longer personal and is in-fact having a direct impact upon others and their beliefs and their lives.

Your beliefs are your prerogative and your business until such a time as you use them to infringe upon those of other people. And no, the gay community standing up for equal rights does not fit in to that description.

We would only be bigots if we claimed that they are not entitled to the expression of their personal beliefs, or the right to have those specific beliefs. We're not saying that; we're saying that by acting upon those beliefs and trying to enforce them upon others he is a bigot who is not suitable to be the CEO of a company renowned for being supportive of equal rights.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

he would never have resigned if there wasn't an insane amount of people boycotting mozilla, insulting him and talking about his action of donating 1000$ (which is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things and had nothing to do with mozilla, it was something he did in his personal life years ago)

He certainly didn't resign all by himself, I'm sure he was pressured to do so by others in the company. 

and there wouldn't have been an insane amount of backlash if he wasn't an active bigot discriminating against homosexuals.   The fact is he did something that upset a lot of people, as a result Mozilla had their name tarnished and he had to leave.  whether it was by choice or force is moot as both are acceptable consequences for bring the brand into disrepute.

He could have said he was sorry, he didn't think that was a right decision, he didn't support such views anymore. He did nothing of the sort and just threw a tantrum at his career instead confirming he's still is a bigot. 

Call me crazy but if all you had to do to keep a multi-million dollar job as a freaking CEO is say "I'm sorry" would you really stick to your ground and resign? That's true conviction, he's the real deal, pure hatred, pure spite. It only confirms what everybody was saying about him.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Call me crazy but if all you had to do to keep a multi-million dollar job as a freaking CEO is say "I'm sorry" would you really stick to your ground and resign? That's true conviction, he's the real deal, pure hatred, pure spite. It only confirms what everybody was saying about him.

I hadn't thought of it that way before, but you're completely right.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

He could have said he was sorry, he didn't think that was a right decision, he didn't support such views anymore. He did nothing of the sort and just threw a tantrum at his career instead confirming he's still is a bigot. 

I don't normally agree with you but in this thread you haven't posted a single word I wouldn't put my name to.