Connecting to Internet through NAS server? Suggestions for the NAS OS?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Barry~~ said:

hmmm...

10Gbe switch here in Taiwan still costs a lot and used hardware is very rare... Maybe I'll buy it off Chinese Website? like Taobao or whatever

but where would I put the switch tho, like the graph I drew? (the third one?)

If you got a switch, put it between the router, the pc and the nas.

For 10gbe, just do the same point to point setup. Used nics like the connect x-3s are cheap on ebay.

So basically, I'm trying to setup a NAS server on my current PC and build another new one.

And I wanna connect the network cables like this

My Main Rig <----(2.5G)----> NAS <-------(1G)------->router (WiFi) (Router not capable of 2.5G, a TP-Link AX10)

So the only way I'll be able to connect to the Internet only through NAS right? since the MB only have 1 2.5G port, and the fact that my two PCs (both server and main rig) is located at some distance to my router (About 20m), so two cables like this won't be my choice.

My Main Rig <--------(2.5G)--------> NAS <---------------(1G)------------->router

<-----------------------------------1G------------------------------->

or should I add another network card on my main rig and both connects to a switch? like this:

My Main Rig <----------(2.5G)--------->Nas<----(1G----> Switch <----1G-----> router

<--------------------------1G-------------------->

though I am more towards the idea of the first one (not sure if it's feasible)

Is there any suggestion to this? 

btw, except for FreeNAS, is there any other OS that you guys recommends?

The two rig's specifications

The NAS:

e3 1230 v2 + Gigabyte H77 d3sh + 16GB RAM + may HDDs (haven't  bought yet)

The "Future" PC:

R7 5800X + TUF Gaming plus wifi B550 + 16GB RAM + PCIe SSD + RX570 (bruh all GPUs are out of stock lol)

Lastly, thanks for you patience reading my nonsense questions (I am no expert at this)

Asus NUC: CPU:i7-4600u | ram: ddr3l 4GB x 2 | ssd: 256GB | Network: RJ45 port, wifi 802.1 ac | usb: USB Gen3 x 4 | SD: SD port x1 | Display: HDMI x1, DP x1| GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 @ 1100Mhz |

Id just get a 2.5gbe switch if you can.

But year that config will work, you can make the nas work like a switch for your pc.

Almost any nas os can do this, normally called a bridge for a l2 switch

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a 2.5gbe switch if you can.

But year that config will work, you can make the nas work like a switch for your pc.

Almost any nas os can do this, normally called a bridge for a l2 switch

Thanks for you reply! Nice to hear that the NAS can be between my PC and the router.

2.5Gbs isn't my choice tho... (I'm broke)

Asus NUC: CPU:i7-4600u | ram: ddr3l 4GB x 2 | ssd: 256GB | Network: RJ45 port, wifi 802.1 ac | usb: USB Gen3 x 4 | SD: SD port x1 | Display: HDMI x1, DP x1| GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 @ 1100Mhz |

Just now, Barry~~ said:

Thanks for you reply! Nice to hear that the NAS can be between my PC and the router.

2.5Gbs isn't my choice tho... (I'm broke)

Can you get used hardware? Used 10gbe hardware is probably even cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you get used hardware? Used 10gbe hardware is probably even cheaper.

hmmm...

10Gbe switch here in Taiwan still costs a lot and used hardware is very rare... Maybe I'll buy it off Chinese Website? like Taobao or whatever

1 minute ago, Barry~~ said:

hmmm...

For 10gbe, just do the same point to point setup. Used nics like the connect x-3s are cheap on ebay.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

hmmm... I'll try buy a 2.5G switch actually, seems like a more reasonable way.

Though I try to use the plan 1 first, see how it goes and see if I'll buy the switch. Thanks for you time and effort! Have a nice day and keep well 😄