OVERCLOCKING RYZEN 3 3200G

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

I think youll want to reduce the freq till it can run at 1.25 or 1.2v stable, cause 4ghz at 1.35v seems like you have run into the realm of diminishing returns for ocing your cpu, so it might be able to run 3.8 at 1.25 or 1.2v but for 4ghz it needs 1.35v, so for a 100-150mv you are only getting an extra 200mhz aka diminishing returns.

I am overclocking my pc and want to get the max performance. I now am doing 4.0ghz with 1.35 volts. Is this the max?

specs:

MOBO: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 3200G

CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML240L RGB V2

RAM: OLOY 16GB 3000

PSU: EVGA 600W

STORAGE: 320GB SSD, 800GB HDD

THANKS.

I would highly advise you to NOT overclock the cpu.

Why? You have one of the lowest end boards with no vrm cooling so ya might not wanna put more load on that and fry your system.

I think youll want to reduce the freq till it can run at 1.25 or 1.2v stable, cause 4ghz at 1.35v seems like you have run into the realm of diminishing returns for ocing your cpu, so it might be able to run 3.8 at 1.25 or 1.2v but for 4ghz it needs 1.35v, so for a 100-150mv you are only getting an extra 200mhz aka diminishing returns.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would highly advise you to NOT overclock the cpu.

Why? You have one of the lowest end boards with no vrm cooling so ya might not wanna put more load on that and fry your system.

I have 5 fans in my case plus a 240mm aio. You don’t think it’s ok? How about the ram. Can I enable xmp for that and put it at 3000?

1 minute ago, Nidal Hussein said:

I have 5 fans in my case plus a 240mm aio. You don’t think it’s ok? How about the ram. Can I enable xmp for that and put it at 3000z?

all the world's cooling can't help with poor quality motherboards, high voltages would kill them regardless. I would recommend doing what @Somerandomtechyboisaid. as for xmp, you can enable that no problem.

I have 5 fans in my case plus a 240mm aio. You don’t think it’s ok? How about the ram. Can I enable xmp for that and put it at 3000?

That sounds like a horribly unbalanced build, you prioritised cpu cooling over the board???

Even if you have all the cpu cooling in the world an a320 will still hold you back on your ocing, and once you reach the limit of the cpu cooler that a320 would be dead.

Maybe next time you are gonna build or upgrade your pc make a thread on this forum so you dont horribly unbalance your build or have very questionable parts choices

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That sounds like a horribly unbalanced build, you prioritised cpu cooling over the board???

Even if you have all the cpu cooling in the world an a320 will still hold you back on your ocing, and once you reach the limit of the cpu cooler that a320 would be dead.

Maybe next time you are gonna build or upgrade your pc make a thread on this forum so you dont horribly unbalance your build or have very questionable parts choices

the wording may be a bit too harsh, but i agree completely.

2 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

the wording may be a bit too harsh, but i agree completely.

Oh srry about that, kinda triggers me if theres an unbalanced system, but yea i think youll want to make a forum post if you plan on upgrading your pc

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Oh srry about that, kinda triggers me if theres an unbalanced system, but yea i think youll want to make a forum post if you plan on upgrading your pc

No that’s totally ok. I’m the one that should be saying sorry. I forgot to mention that I’m planning on upgrading the MOBO to a MSI B450M Bazooka Max WiFi. You think that would be better?

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

That moment when the AIO is more expensive than the CPU

Actually the cpu is going for about $215 rn and the aio is $85. So yea

4 minutes ago, Nidal Hussein said:

Actually the cpu is going for about $215 rn and the aio is $85. So yea

It used to be $90. The chip is being scalped rn, which is why it’s $215. Im assuming you bought it for $90 - $100, if not then you got scammed.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

It used to be $90. The chip is being scalped rn, which is why it’s $215. Im assuming you bought it for $90 - $100, if not then you got scammed.

No I bought it off Amazon when it was $90 I’m just upgrading the MOBO rn.

22 minutes ago, Nidal Hussein said:

Cooling doesn't really help a low quality motherboard really be better.

As for xmp sure try turning it on and see what happens.

10 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Yeah, such a waste. The stock cooler would have been good enough, and that money spent on an unnecessary AIO could have have been rolled into a better CPU, which would have actually provided some tangible benefit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, jaslion said:

Cooling doesn't really help a low quality motherboard really be better.

As for xmp sure try turning it on and see what happens.

What about the MSI B450M Bazooka Max WiFi? Should I oc on that?

12 minutes ago, Nidal Hussein said:

No that’s totally ok. I’m the one that should be saying sorry. I forgot to mention that I’m planning on upgrading the MOBO to a MSI B450M Bazooka Max WiFi. You think that would be better?

yes, that mobo can handle overclocks much better. i'm still a little uncomfortable with 1.35 volts though, try to see how high you can keep the CPU without going over 1.3 volts.

EDIT: try OCing the iGPU instead, that would be much better to actually improve in-game performance.

11 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Reminds me of the person that wanted that expensive nzxt aio with the screen but had to skimp on their board and cpu as it was almost 300$ :p.

Got a message later on about an oc killing their b450 ds3h board with a 3700x in it. Surprising nobody.

Just now, Ash_Kechummm said:

yes, that mobo can handle overclocks much better. i'm still a little uncomfortable with 1.35 volts though, try to see how high you can keep the CPU without going over 1.3 volts.

Ok thanks

24 minutes ago, Nidal Hussein said:

Maybe once you upgrade the board, but not with the current board. Pitiful VRMs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

What about the MSI B450M Bazooka Max WiFi? Should I oc on that?

Sure better board. But either way at this point you might as well just save up and get a better cpu. Then leave it at stock on that board. You have it now so use it it can go up to a 3600 but that is it.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Sure better board. But either way at this point you might as well just save up and get a better cpu. Then leave it at stock on that board. You have it now so use it it can go up to a 3600 but that is it.

RYZEN 5 3600?

Just now, Nidal Hussein said:

RYZEN 5 3600?

That one yes. Don't try to push further AND LEAVE IT AT STOCK.

3 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

EDIT: try OCing the iGPU instead, that would be much better to actually improve in-game performance.

I have tried doing that but honestly don’t know how to get to that option it only shows for the cpu. 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

he's using the iGPU to game, i don't think a 3600 would be helpful; the only possible "upgrade" would be a 3400G, but that's barely any extra performance for a lot more money.