OVERCLOCKING RYZEN 3 3200G

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

I think youll want to reduce the freq till it can run at 1.25 or 1.2v stable, cause 4ghz at 1.35v seems like you have run into the realm of diminishing returns for ocing your cpu, so it might be able to run 3.8 at 1.25 or 1.2v but for 4ghz it needs 1.35v, so for a 100-150mv you are only getting an extra 200mhz aka diminishing returns.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

There's not really a benefit to custom overclocking Zen 2 CPUs. If you enable PBO, it will overclock itself.

1.55V is much too high to be a limit, but every CPU has its own. @ShrimpBrime taught me that to find a CPU's voltage limit, set all the CPU settings to stock and run Prime95 small FFT (128K). During the test, watch to see how high the voltage goes.

Ive seen ryzens go up to around 1.5v when on max boost, so 1.5v is an ok limit

Then again this is coming from the idiot who thinks running a 45nm core cpu at 1.75v is safe xD

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I believe that's single core. It's fine for a single core to go around 1.4-1.5V (at least I think), but that's definitely not safe for all-core.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Then again this is coming from the idiot who thinks running a 45nm core cpu at 1.75v is safe xD

Your CPU will die due to this.

elephants

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Old CPUs have nothing to do with new CPUs. 1.75v will kill a new CPU extremely fast.

1.5v is safe while boosting because the total current is low, only a few cores are being used.

1.5v all core is pulling unsafe current though the chip.

1.5v daily will 100% kill a Ryzen CPU.

29 minutes ago, Nidal Hussein said:

Hello. I recently created a post asking if I should upgrade my previous pc. It had:

Msi A320M-A PRO MAX

R3 3200G

16GB Ram

600w psu

I have built a whole new PC. It has:

Msi B450 Tomahawk Max II

R5 3600

16GB Ram

600w psu

I was told by someone to keep it at stock. Should I or not considering it was only 1 that told me to keep it at stock. I am also planning to get a GTX 1660 when GPU prices go down. Should I OC that too? I had my 3200G at 4Ghz at 1.35v. To what should I OC my 3600 and the GTX 1660 to if I should OC?

thanks for any help..

Just enable PBO and let Zen 2 work its magic. That's a safe way to get a bit higher performance out of your chip.

If you have to ask us if you should OC, then manual OC'ing isn't for you.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I believe that's single core. It's fine for a single core to go around 1.4-1.5V (at least I think), but that's definitely not safe for all-core.

Your CPU will die due to this.

Ive ran 2v on my poor 45nm cpus on accident yet they show no signs of degradation, and all i know is the death zone voltage for these cpus is around 1.95v sooo isnt unreasonable to think that 1.75v is perfectly fine, i only get uncomfortable when pushing over 1.8v on my 45nm cpus so if they will run on that voltage then whatever ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Just enable PBO and let Zen 2 work its magic. That's a safe way to get a bit higher performance out of your chip.

If you have to ask us if you should OC, then manual OC'ing isn't for you.

I agree, PBO is definitely the easiest and safe.

OC'ing can be fun though, everyone had to start sometime. It can be very safe too, just stay with the lower recommended voltages to be safe. Try PBO vs your manual OC, which gives you better results.

9 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

1.5v daily will 100% kill a Ryzen CPU.

Degrade not kill

If you wanna kill a ryzen cpu then shove 1.8v through it then insta death

Honestly, if you have to ask then I would just say enjoy its performance as is. There is not much to be gained. But if you want to do it I would say hell yeah let er rip.. but not with 1.5v lol.. I would say 1.325v for all core loads. All core being 1 clock 1 voltage. And even that is getting up there.. I didnt spend much time with Zen 2, 1.3375 got me 4500 all core everything stable.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

35 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

There's not really a benefit to custom overclocking Zen 2 CPUs. If you enable PBO, it will overclock itself.

1.55V is much too high to be a limit, but every CPU has its own. @ShrimpBrime taught me that to find a CPU's voltage limit, set all the CPU settings to stock and run Prime95 small FFT (128K). During the test, watch to see how high the voltage goes.

That's for manually clocking All core. Generally less then 1.3v on zen 3.

Single core boost v-core of measured 1.5v does not exceed the PPT and EDC limits which is measured by Amps not the v-core. 

Obviously cooling a single core Is very possible and generally a non issue.

-= Topics Merged =-

All 3 of your topics on this subject have been merged.

Do Not Repost Topics asking the same questions.

Further reposts will be removed.

Secondly, to the community, offer advice that is constructive to the OP, if not do not reply or your reply will be removed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER