LTT on older devices

Mark Kaine

Browser, version and OS: 

Pre-sellout Opera, Android 

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Wondering about this for a long time

What happened?

This is what LTT forum looks like:

(sorry for pictures, the power button is kind of broken, unable to take screenshots)

20210623_011230.thumb.jpg.b2ed02e85141a7c9bfd676490124a3e6.jpg

???

This is how basically any other forum looks like: (normal)

20210623_011211.thumb.jpg.afc8ae9f5226a3b6f223ff33bc8d19e3.jpg

What did you expect to happen?

LTT to work like most other websites I tried (actually i havent found another broken one yet, they all work like its 2012…)

Device: Some oldschool "tablet" , however i believe  this is more of a browser issue - site works normally on fully unupdated Chrome (btw)

Im just wondering if there's anything  that could be done or a workaround to make the site functional on old Opera browser? (idk the version number but its very old, as mentioned from before Opera sold out)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've noticed that too on older stuff. When using the forums on Windows XP Pro 32-bit, the forum top bar is gone and there's no "submit reply" button.
Same story on Windows 2000, except the graphics are worse.

elephants

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I've noticed that too on older stuff. When using the forums on Windows XP Pro 32-bit, the forum top bar is gone and there's no "submit reply" button.
Same story on Windows 2000, except the graphics are worse.

The weird part is it seems too look normal on top, but then things start overlapping quickly making it impossible to read.

And yeah, i know older windows browsers have issues with "modern" websites , but this is android 4 or something, not that old lol, or do you mean its also just LTT that doesnt work properly?

Btw I tried turning off "text wrap" that didnt really do anything , and otherwise im out of ideas how to fix this...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

The weird part is it seems too look normal on top, but then things start overlapping quickly making it impossible to read.

And yeah, i know older windows browsers have issues with "modern" websites , but this is android 4 or something, not that old lol, or do you mean its also just LTT that doesnt work properly?

Btw I tried turning off "text wrap" that didnt really do anything , and otherwise im out of ideas how to fix this...

Just LTT doesn't work properly for me (but I can't visit many websites on XP and 2000). Techpowerup worked fine and I was able to post, I tried Wikipedia but it didn't like my lack of modern encryption things.

elephants

10 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Just LTT doesn't work properly for me (but I can't visit many websites on XP and 2000). Techpowerup worked fine and I was able to post, I tried Wikipedia but it didn't like my lack of modern encryption things.

I see, yeah a site not working at all isnt that unexpected, im just confused at how messed up the layout is, and only on this site (seemingly)

I think there are some workarounds for older windows etc btw, like using proxies or whatever, if i find it i'll post it, although i think that was mostly about Sega Dreamcast browser lol (same era though)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

What is the exact version of opera & what android device/os are you using ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

53 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Android 4 is quite old, actually. It launched 9 years ago. That's an absolute eternity for both mobile devices and the web. The web in particular has changed dramatically since that time. It was a full three years before HTML5 even. Frankly expecting any relatively modern website to function on something that old is unfair. The only reason some forums achieve it is because they're ugly table-based monstrosities that haven't changed since the naughties.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On an iPhone 3GS, it barely loads.

On an iPhone 4s, you can't sign in - the user menu doesn't work.

On an iphone 6, you can fully use it.

Windows 98 system - doesn't work...

But Windows Vista system with a Phenom, works fine!

(Yes I own all of these systems and have tested on each.)

This has been answered before, I can search it later. But in short, mobile version only supports most common browsers. There's no point of providing support for that 1% with old devices.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, givingtnt said:

What is the exact version of opera & what android device/os are you using ?

51 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

But in short, mobile version only supports most common browsers. There's no point of providing support for that 1% with old devices

Im just wondering whats the difference to other sites, i havent found one that doesnt work yet, doesnt  mean there arent any just that the majority works, and i dont understand  why there should be specific support either, i doubt most sites support specific niche browsers, they just work. 

wikipedia works too* btw. 

I mean im just curious, especially if theres a workaround, i havent tested desktop site yet, maybe that works…

*edit: found one, reddit doesnt work, its just a blank site… well maybe it would load eventually, but its really slow, and so far nothing …

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Im just wondering whats the difference to other sites, i havent found one that doesnt work yet,

IPS is one big reason. Security of old OS and browsers another. This site handles some payments after all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

37 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

IPS is one big reason. Security of old OS and browsers another. This site handles some payments after all.

i also found a difference of opera ("mini") to pretty much any other browser i tried , there is no "desktop mode"…  user is supposed to go to "opera:config" and then type some command, but i only get an error as return, so that is probably non funtional now (probably needs to connect to a server?)

well and the reason old version of chrome still works is probably because its chromium and the site is surely optimized for that.

I just really like opera / mini on mobile, no ads and its always been really fast, but doesnt seem theres a fix for some sites not working properly after all… i mean something like the "config" thing was my hope, but even that doesnt work lol. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have a finite amount of time, own a finite amount of devices, and have a finite amount of sanity, so we cannot support every device ever. The standard that we hold, which is also held by many other websites, is that we only officially support the latest and latest-1 release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari, and their respective mobile versions. They are the versions that we can reasonably expect things to work consistently and as speced on. Given how horribly broken opera is in your screenshot, that is not going to be a simple fix. If someone wants to give me changes that have zero impact on how the site works for modern browsers but fix old ones, I will accept them, but I will not go beyond that.

HTTP/2 203

9 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

so we cannot support every device ever. The standard that we hold, which is also held by many other websites, is that we only officially support the latest and latest-1 release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari, and their respective mobile versions

No worries, i wasnt expecting you to fix this, i was just hoping someone would know a workaround, but since i found out the browser doesnt  even support desktop mode chances are slim for that i guess.

And well, its not a device issue, it seemed to work fine on chrome, guess ill just use that when im using this tablet.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity