Bose QC35 II Filters

bungusboy81

I've had my pair of Bose QC35 II headphones for about a year now, and about 2 weeks ago the earpads blew open. I ordered new earpads and filters and they should get here in about a week, but I was wanting to know about the filters. Should I change them? I know it might seem like a stupid question but I wanna make sure I get as much use out of them as possible. I also wanted to know how exactly I change them, because I watched a video about it a couple days ago and it talked about fiddling with the glue residue to get it off to put the new filter on. Do I have to fiddle with that glue residue from the filter and get it off before I put the new one on or can I just put the new one on top of it? If I've gotta get it off, how do I?

I'm sorry if these seem like kinda dumb questions but I just wanna make sure I get as much use out of my headphones as possible and I don't wanna damage anything or replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.

3 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

I've had my pair of Bose QC35 II headphones for about a year now, and about 2 weeks ago the earpads blew open. I ordered new earpads and filters and they should get here in about a week, but I was wanting to know about the filters. Should I change them? I know it might seem like a stupid question but I wanna make sure I get as much use out of them as possible. I also wanted to know how exactly I change them, because I watched a video about it a couple days ago and it talked about fiddling with the glue residue to get it off to put the new filter on. Do I have to fiddle with that glue residue from the filter and get it off before I put the new one on or can I just put the new one on top of it? If I've gotta get it off, how do I?

I'm sorry if these seem like kinda dumb questions but I just wanna make sure I get as much use out of my headphones as possible and I don't wanna damage anything or replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.

One thing you shouldn't do is put the new one on top of the old one. That will change the sound a lot if you already like it. You could try to get them off but I'd keep them on.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Don’t even bother replacing the filter, no point unless they’re damaged. You have to really go nuts to get the glue off and I was always worried about damaging the drivers in the process.

The ear cups themselves are really easy to replace, just a handful of clips.

Oh how I miss easily replaceable ear cups… Whenever my Sony’s go I’m gonna have to pry them off with a pry tool. 😞

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

No need to replace the filters unless they're dirty/damaged. If you need to you just rip them off, and reattach the new ones with the sticky strips that's on them already.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No need to replace the filters unless they're dirty/damaged. If you need to you just rip them off, and reattach the new ones with the sticky strips that's on them already.

3 hours ago, Roswell said:

Don’t even bother replacing the filter, no point unless they’re damaged. You have to really go nuts to get the glue off and I was always worried about damaging the drivers in the process.

The ear cups themselves are really easy to replace, just a handful of clips.

Oh how I miss easily replaceable ear cups… Whenever my Sony’s go I’m gonna have to pry them off with a pry tool. 😞

3 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

One thing you shouldn't do is put the new one on top of the old one. That will change the sound a lot if you already like it. You could try to get them off but I'd keep them on.

They're a little dirty but nothing too extreme, just a tiny bit of earwax which isn't enough to really make a difference, and I've already practiced getting the pads on and off and it's really easy. I'll probably keep the new filters for later down the road if I need to change them. Thank you!