A 24 Hour Battery Life Laptop - HP Elite Folio (Sponsored)

JonoT

Spending $2k on an ARM based Windows machine is a real smooth brained move.

Who’s going to want this with virtually no software support and atrocious performance?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

A 256GB SSD on a $1,900 2-in-1 laptop is ridiculous, and the webcam is atrocious.

Many of the video's points mentioned how business men and women wouldn't really need a lot of power, and wouldn't need a lot of other things, but if that's the case, why spend so much when there are $600 laptops that do exactly the same as this one from HP?

If you're buying laptops for your business, the minimum you expect is a good quality microphone and webcam. The microphone wasn't mentioned at all, so HP probably didn't want to talk about it, and the webcam is not even close to good enough. You'll need the extra battery life because it'll take so long to do anything productive on it, e.g. view or edit plans in CAD software.

Really unusual sponsorship, I thought he didn't take deals where he wasn't allowed to say negative things. he hinted at both the price and webcam being terrible, but stopped short of actually saying it directly.

The laptop actually looked fairly good otherwise. Give it a better webcam and mic and I could see it as being a business laptop.

2 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

400 USD more expensive than the similarly specced M1 Macbook Pro but with far worse CPU? Nope, nope, nope.

Even though this thing is no where near good enough for the price, any Mac is not a comparison. Last I checked if I tried to 2-in-1 my pro it would break in half.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 hours ago, JonoT said:

Thanks to HP for sponsoring today's video! Check out the HP Elite Folio at https://bit.ly/3gJc2LG

Why would anyone spend 2k on a laptop that can't even open Rocket League? I don't care what use case you have that is unacceptable. $400 laptops exist for a reason. 

43 minutes ago, DrabberFrog said:

Why would anyone spend 2k on a laptop that can't even open Rocket League?

because they would use the laptop for things other than rocket league

Oh well, it's a fully-sponsored video, so. yes, it was an ad (properly disclosed, so, no complaints there). But I guess we can all agree it's a bad deal, both because of the price and because x86 emulation on Windows ARM is atrocious. Running Linux on that thing would be a much better option actually (assuming its drivers are in, or will ever be, in the kernel, which I am not sure about) as almost all Linux apps are open source and are compiled for both x86 and ARM (or, worst case scenario, you can compile them yourself from source).

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Last I checked if I tried to 2-in-1 my pro it would break in half.

That is true. May be worth it for it's audience, but I assume most artists would prefer to have native Adobe suite (not sure if it's already available), plus other x86 tools.

I like my 2-in-1 (Switch 7), but it's trash to use on the lap (Surface style), it's uncomfortable as a tablet due to weight (and this folio is even heavier), and holding it without the cover/keyboard = screeching hot.

Kind of the mistake you only do once.

Linus would've roasted this HP laptop if they weren't paying him lots of money. Such a sell out

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Why Qualcomm isn't begging to have their now worthless 8cx processors installed into mid-high end Chromebooks ($500-$800) is beyond me. Windows is garbage on ARM, and Apple's M1 curbstomps it. As least Chrome OS plays to the 8cx's strengths (no x86 programs, Android ARM native support, fast always on 5G connectivity, long battery life).

Have you tried to access Cellular UI?

I am interested if this laptop support both USIM (the external SIM slot) and eSIM (eUICC).

I was wondering why it's so stupidly expensive.

Then I realised it's probably because of the massive marketing budget someone approved...

This should have never been a video on LTT, this would have been perfect for shortciruit but what do i know...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I was wondering why it's so stupidly expensive.

Then I realised it's probably because of the massive marketing budget someone approved...

This should have never been a video on LTT, this would have been perfect for shortciruit but what do i know...

The high price is an issue for all ARM Windows devices.   

19 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Linus would've roasted this HP laptop if they weren't paying him lots of money. Such a sell out

Then again, its not a review, so just keep to the laptop and not things that's a general issue with the product group (ARM Windows) itself...especially thing that's very likely been pointed out already.  

Does it have a BIOS screen? Can you boot from a thumb drive and do a fresh Windows install just like on x86?

I'm asking because you can't do that on the Surface RT.

there like 2 or more problems

1. the pricing its the most price thing that i would look at and buy its not even a desktop which with that same budget could get you a good ass desktop or a macbook with 1. IPhone quality video, 2. more storage and not even as expensive i live in Jamaica and it looks interesting that's until you calculate every which with all the expenses would see me paying 300k which could get me either a iphone 12 pro max airpod's and phone case and ill still have a lot money left

2. the camera isn't bad if that's not what you care about but man even a iphone 6 has a better camera and its very cheap now if you look at it so if you see this go build a desktop with that money, your desktop might not be the best but you can also change the processor, windows type or even build it better after time if you buy that your stuck with a possibly bad laptop seeing that windows 10 is coming to a close

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, poochyena said:

because they would use the laptop for things other than rocket league

if they didn't care about gaming then why would they get this instead of a mac? At least M1 macs actually have some performance.