I got the 5950x cpu but don't know which motherboard to get

Go to solution Solved by CryingWimp,

If you don't need the PCIe layout on x570, get a B550 board. They are newer and have the newer design, more kinks/bugs worked out, better memory support.

My Recommendations:

B550 aorus pro v2 is an amazing value.

B550 Taichi

x570 Aorus Master

x570 Taichi

All of these support a bios flash without a CPU installed. It is basically impossible to say if your board will support the CPU out of the box or require a BIOS update.

Its pretty easy to update the bios, you'll download the bios on the official website for the motherboard of your choice, put the file on a USB flashdrive, stick the flashdrive in the Qflash supported USB port, press the flashback button on the backpanel, wait while it does its thing and watch the little light blink away. Watch a youtube video or lookup a guide for the brand board you chose. It takes a minute total

i was looking all over and I have an oversight that some motherboard don't have the bios for the new amd chip set does anyone know is anyone board is plug and play or do I have to do a flash, if so I don't know hot to do a bios update or flash update, 

I also don't have the 3000 series cpu I'm switching from intel.

If you're uncertain with the BIOS on the board then look for motherboards with USB BIOS Flashback feature, typically MSI and ASUS boards have this. You can update the BIOS without a CPU with the USB flash drive.

Any B550 or X570 board with the USB Flashback + the other features you want on the board should be enough.

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you're uncertain with the BIOS on the board then look for motherboards with USB BIOS Flashback feature, typically MSI and ASUS boards have this. You can update the BIOS without a CPU with the USB flash drive.

Any B550 or X570 board with the USB Flashback + the other features you want on the board should be enough.

im just worried about doing the flash back how would i go about doing it 

If you don't need the PCIe layout on x570, get a B550 board. They are newer and have the newer design, more kinks/bugs worked out, better memory support.

My Recommendations:

B550 aorus pro v2 is an amazing value.

B550 Taichi

x570 Aorus Master

x570 Taichi

All of these support a bios flash without a CPU installed. It is basically impossible to say if your board will support the CPU out of the box or require a BIOS update.

Its pretty easy to update the bios, you'll download the bios on the official website for the motherboard of your choice, put the file on a USB flashdrive, stick the flashdrive in the Qflash supported USB port, press the flashback button on the backpanel, wait while it does its thing and watch the little light blink away. Watch a youtube video or lookup a guide for the brand board you chose. It takes a minute total

If you really don't have any clue about motherboard, count how many usb ports has been used in the back of your current computer, and choose the cheapest (or the besk looking one, depends on you) B550/X570 that has more USB ports than that. (Check X570 since there may be a good price in your local store) You can check the VRM tier list in this forum and make sure you make the correct choice, but that's really optional as most B550 have good enough VRM. 

PC1: 5950X/32GB 3800C14/3080 FTW3/O11Air Mini

PC2: 5600G/16GB 4133C18/Open bench