3770k 4.4GHz 1.3V bad chip?

Hey guys,

I currently run a i7 3770k. I oced it to 4.4 GHz, but I need at least 1.295V to run Prime95 stable. At this volts, temps rocket straight up to 80°-85°C with core#0 always over 90°C (Prime 95, small FFTs, 1 hour, H100 push).

The motherboard is an AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional with 4 x 4GB G.Skill RAM oced to 1866 MHz on which I can oc my parents' i5 3570k to 4.8 GHz with 1.25V. So the bord might not be the problem...

Was I just unlucky with the silicon lottery, or is the cpu actually broken, so that I can RMA it?

picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=421

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Edit: H100 didn't see that at first sorry.

It is indeed not the best ivy bridge CPU That's made , but no you unfortunatally can't RMA it because intel only guarantees the voltages and speeds that they run the CPU at , on stock settings stock.

Interested in Business and Technology

If you want to really know why its hard to push an Ivy past 4 GHz check this out on tomshardware.com. Really covers it in real depth

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

But i can do a quick some up from what i read. It seems that when they shrank the lastest tick-tock cycle they reduced the area that the actual CPU sits in about half. Due to all the new GPU and memory controls they keep adding the area for the CPU and gone down in size by a ton. ( I am paraphrasing this all, really check it out its long but worth it.) It seems that in the Ivy they went with a thermal paste inside instead of a straight solder or flux. So you have the same amount of heat that was produced in the sandy chip but it is over a much smaller area and seems that it can not be dissipated as well. All this turns out to make a better stock CPU than the Sandy but doesnt overclock like the Sandy can.

If you want to really know why its hard to push an Ivy past 4 GHz check this out on tomshardware.com. Really covers it in real depth

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

But i can do a quick some up from what i read. It seems that when they shrank the lastest tick-tock cycle they reduced the area that the actual CPU sits in about half. Due to all the new GPU and memory controls they keep adding the area for the CPU and gone down in size by a ton. ( I am paraphrasing this all, really check it out its long but worth it.) It seems that in the Ivy they went with a thermal paste inside instead of a straight solder or flux. So you have the same amount of heat that was produced in the sandy chip but it is over a much smaller area and seems that it can not be dissipated as well. All this turns out to make a better stock CPU than the Sandy but doesnt overclock like the Sandy can.

Also i forgot to add, which im sure you know already, that the 3570 is the same as the 3770. The only thing you get with the 3770 is HT. With HT it requires higher V and produces more heat because of it. I would bet that if you disabled the HT on your 3770 you could get the same overclock as you did on your 3570.

You weren't lucky enough in the silicon lottery.

looks like the only thing you hit was the silicone lottery wall. you might be able to trade to a friend

to test on a different mobo. ive seen different mobo react different ways with chips. but really, its

about the chip.

airdeano

Looks like a bad draw of the lottery. I can hit 4.4ghz with my 3570k at 1.194 volts.

Thats overclocking its all about luck.

It's your chip. I also have the bad draw on my CPU, running at 4.5 GHz @ 1.305v. If your heat is that high, I personally would turn your overclock down to keep the heat down as well.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide