Does moving files to the trashbin wear out your OS Disk if it's an SSD?

Guest PhatRATTY
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

No. Moving it to the recycle bin doesn't actually remove the file or move it, it just removes it from explorer/listing. The file itself won't be erased until it's removed from the recycling bin, and even then it's not really deleted, it's just that the space where the file was is marked as unused so can be overwritten.

If so, to the same rate as a transfer or less. If less, how much less.

Just now, PhatRATTY said:

If so, to the same rate as a transfer or less. If less, how much less.

Say you delete a file from disk G and it "appears" in disk D's recycling can, Is any part of that file in the new disk?

No. Moving it to the recycle bin doesn't actually remove the file or move it, it just removes it from explorer/listing. The file itself won't be erased until it's removed from the recycling bin, and even then it's not really deleted, it's just that the space where the file was is marked as unused so can be overwritten.

1 minute ago, PhatRATTY said:

Say you delete a file from disk G and it "appears" in disk D's recycling can, Is any part of that file in the new disk?

If you delete it from G then it cant appear in D's Recycle Bin, and when an SSD cell wears is because off overwriting the previous stored data, and there is a limit to which extent the drive can be overwritten in TBW (Tera bytes written). 

See your drive's specifications on the Manufacture's website.

1 minute ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

If you delete it from G then it cant appear in D's Recycle Bin, and when an SSD cell wears is because off overwriting the previous stored data, and there is a limit to which extent the drive can be overwritten in TBW (Tera bytes written). 

See your drive's specifications on the Manufacture's website.

Well, since the first part of your statement is wrong I guess I'll disregard the second half as well. If You have a computer with two hard drives (one of which being the boot drive) and you delete a file from your storage drive it will appear on your desktop folder (in the boot drive) in the recycling bin.

14 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

Well, since the first part of your statement is wrong I guess I'll disregard the second half as well. If You have a computer with two hard drives (one of which being the boot drive) and you delete a file from your storage drive it will appear on your desktop folder (in the boot drive) in the recycling bin.

That's not right at all each hard drive will have it's own $Recycle.bin file that it uses.

When files are deleted they are not moved nor a write operation performed. The MFT is updated with a "pending" delete thus appears then in the Recycle Bin by Windows Explorer.

30 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

No need to be snarky to people that try and help you. Makes you look very ungrateful!

But putting things in trash-bin does not delete as said before.
It might be the other drives trash-bin just displays the full list of trash across all drives.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

There's no transfer of files from one drive to another or from one folder to another when deleting to recycle bin.

If I remember correctly, the original folder or file is hidden and there's a special file created in the Recycle Bin folder, sort of like a shortcut file work, and these special files contain information about what was deleted to Recycle Bin. So Windows Explorer can read these special files and build a view of deleted files in the Recycle Bin and allow you to restore individual files or folders. 

You can see for yourself... in Windows Explorer, go to View > Folder options and uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and you'll then see $RECYCLE BIN show up in Windows Explorer.  inside should be a Recycle Bin folder ... you can right click on it and select properties, and you'll see it reports a number of files and folders and a certain file size. But if you go inside that folder and you have a bunch of files deleted to Recycle Bin, you'll see those sizes and amount of files don't match... that's because that recycle bin folder only contains some "shortcut" type files with information about folders and files deleted and what you actually see in recycle bin is constructed from those files.

So to answer the original question ... yes, there is some wear out, but it's the same amount of wear as if you would open notepad, type a sentence and save the txt file to the SSD. It's extremely small. 

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There's no transfer of files from one drive to another or from one folder to another when deleting to recycle bin.

If I remember correctly, the original folder or file is hidden and there's a special file created in the Recycle Bin folder, sort of like a shortcut file work, and these special files contain information about what was deleted to Recycle Bin. So Windows Explorer can read these special files and build a view of deleted files in the Recycle Bin and allow you to restore individual files or folders. 

You can see for yourself... in Windows Explorer, go to View > Folder options and uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and you'll then see $RECYCLE BIN show up in Windows Explorer.  inside should be a Recycle Bin folder ... you can right click on it and select properties, and you'll see it reports a number of files and folders and a certain file size. But if you go inside that folder and you have a bunch of files deleted to Recycle Bin, you'll see those sizes and amount of files don't match... that's because that recycle bin folder only contains some "shortcut" type files with information about folders and files deleted and what you actually see in recycle bin is constructed from those files.

So to answer the original question ... yes, there is some wear out, but it's the same amount of wear as if you would open notepad, type a sentence and save the txt file to the SSD. It's extremely small. 

afaik the 'recycle-bin' is just a 'textfile' with the links to the (now hidden) files. For the rest i think you're spot on.

(Even tho i wants to act as a folder)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

-> Moved to Operating Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, PhatRATTY said:

@PhatRATTYSir Actually You are wrong, every file you delete from your drive goes into that same drives Recycle Bin, if you right click onto a disk and select properties then Disk Cleanup.

image.png.f1eb8c5cb986adac25c166ba4d3e8bc8.png

And it will check the storage that can be freed up on your drive, i.e. In my case its drive D.

If you don't believe, i will give you an example.

The file is of 11.1 MB and if i delete it, it will appear as that file is in my Drive C's Recycle Bin, but actually file is in drive D.

1196411722_Screenshot2021-06-15131200.png.a7578e145aaf84cda5fd3864fe3fbc08.png

Now look, i have deleted the file, it appears to be in my Drive C's Recycle Bin, but its not. Have a look your self.

42344793_Screenshot2021-06-15131646.png.a3f1830c6837da8f34b44a7aefe33c19.png

Now when i go to drive D's properties and then Disk Cleanup it shows the same 11.1 MB in it's Recycle bin. As the WinRAR folder.

374592320_Screenshot2021-06-15131812.png.2e170346fa677b35de4da42ecb981903.png

And as my friend described above for you convenience:

44 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can see for yourself... in Windows Explorer, go to View > Folder options and uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and you'll then see $RECYCLE BIN show up in Windows Explorer.  inside should be a Recycle Bin folder ... you can right click on it and select properties, and you'll see it reports a number of files and folders and a certain file size. But if you go inside that folder and you have a bunch of files deleted to Recycle Bin, you'll see those sizes and amount of files don't match... that's because that recycle bin folder only contains some "shortcut" type files with information about folders and files deleted and what you actually see in recycle bin is constructed from those files

And deleting a file doesn't physically remove it from your disk.

As my other friend described:

1 hour ago, RZeroX said:

When files are deleted they are not moved nor a write operation performed. The MFT is updated with a "pending" delete thus appears then in the Recycle Bin by Windows Explorer.

So Actually you are wrong. And please stop blaming others, Its an Humble Request Sir.

Guys, OP is asking if there is "wear" and saying "nothing gets moved" is kinda irrelevant, when there definitely something gets "written"  and once you delete the file from the recycle bin, "overwritten" (at some point) So of course  it will create "wear". Now if that matters probably also depends on the file sizes too...

And my answer would therefore  be yes, but everything  you do wears a harddrive down, especially SSDs…  

But its a slow process and other than occasionally checking with crystaldisk info or something, one shouldnt really worry about it much.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity