85mm A good focal length for cinematic videos?

I really want the 35mm t1.5 but its 230$ more expensive than the 85mm t1.5 by rokinnon. Should I splurge or is the 85 A good focal lengh?

assuming you mean full frame and not aps-c, i mean it is what it is. 85 is 85, it's going to be  a fairly narrow frame. It all depends on what you need and want, which no one knows other than you..

3 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I really want the 35mm t1.5 but its 230$ more expensive than the 85mm t1.5 by rokinnon. Should I splurge or is the 85 A good focal lengh?

with your m50 camera that has a crop sensor? what do you plan to film with the lens because it may be useful for certain shots but not all shots

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

1 minute ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

with your m50 camera that has a crop sensor? what do you plan to film with the lens because it may be useful for certain shots but not all shots

Id say a 35mm what be a more mature choice. But its 230$ More! Thats alot for me.

3 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

assuming you mean full frame and not aps-c, i mean it is what it is. 85 is 85, it's going to be  a fairly narrow frame. It all depends on what you need and want, which no one knows other than you..

Yea I have a m50 so apsc.

so that 85mm lens is actually going to be same as 127.5mm. That is telephoto lens territory, for me personally would be very limiting for videos. But again you might want different. On apsc I wouldn't go over 85mm FF equivalent, which would mean around 55mm for apsc.

2 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

so that 85mm lens is actually going to be same as 127.5mm. That is telephoto lens territory, for me personally would be very limiting for videos. But again you might want different. On apsc I wouldn't go over 85mm FF equivalent, which would mean around 55mm for apsc.

I have a telephoto which isnt great because of its aperture. Buts its a zoom so it gives you options

Also I think 35 would be good because I have a 22 then I could get a 35 then down the line 50 then 85.

24 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I have a telephoto which isnt great because of its aperture. Buts its a zoom so it gives you options

Also I think 35 would be good because I have a 22 then I could get a 35 then down the line 50 then 85.

I also want a monitor to go with it so that will put me over 1000 aud 14mm is a useful focal length too but it doesnt come as low in aperture so there is a trade off. Also its cheaper in America than in Australia even when you convert. 660 USD converts to how much it is in Australia. 

35 and 85 mm are completely apple and oranges, if you think that you can just get a 85 mm instead of 35 “because it’s cheaper” you’re thinking about it all upside down.

An analogy is that you need a laptop to do work on the go, but you find you can buy a desktop PCs for cheaper, so you’re asking if you should just buy a Desktop.

20 minutes ago, For Science! said:

35 and 85 mm are completely apple and oranges, if you think that you can just get a 85 mm instead of 35 “because it’s cheaper” you’re thinking about it all upside down.

An analogy is that you need a laptop to do work on the go, but you find you can buy a desktop PCs for cheaper, so you’re asking if you should just buy a Desktop.

Ill get a 35mm

Just now, For Science! said:

okay..

Its more usable for me

3 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Depends. If your camera has a crop factor, you may want your prime glass to be a bit wider.

7 hours ago, VFXGuy said:

Depends. If your camera has a crop factor, you may want your prime glass to be a bit wider.

Ive got a 22mm the next would be a 35mm. Its 860 AUD and 660 Usd when you convert. Which is alot more than 500 usd