Nvidia Ends Support For Kepler GPUs, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 On August 31

Lightwreather
10 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I have not had a single blue screen with windows 7 ever. My new laptop came with windows. I have had 4-5 blue screens in a timespan of 6 months. Finally decided I had enough and installed linux.. And whenever I get a blue screen, I get a heart attack. It is not as reliable as 7, it is not as good as 7, and it sux ass at a lot of things(especially the design) . Now  you have stuff that looks like it was designed in the 98 days, xp days, vista/7 days and, metro etc. Even microsoft's metro UI is divided into win8 metro and fluence. 10 is just too off putting.

If microsoft had made windows 7 the last version of windows ever, I wouldn't have started using linux. But they just had to f*ck it up with 10

Agreed!

I do not like all the spying they do, the forced updates that breaks stuff, lack of control of the OS compared to previous versions (Such as getting rid of Cortana for example - You can't really do it) and just Win 10 in general.
How many threads have we seen where an update broke something that was working fine before or maybe changed things/settings in the OS?
Too many to count.

I do not like being the guinea pig/BETA tester for all the messes they make, that why instead of Win 10 I went to Linux and perfectly happy with it.
I will say it's true, ALL versions of an OS has some spying going on but Win 10 is beyond the pale with it.

As said, I'm running Linux and will continue to do so from now on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Most Kepler cards being kept online today are the ones still being actively used. 

"Most Kepler cards still being used are the ones still being used." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's not common just because it happened to you...

Re-read the "do some research" part.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

"Most Kepler cards still being used are the ones still being used." 

Kept online <- plugged in.

Actively used <- used by someone in a PC not idling somewhere else where its not serving a user. 

Its pretty clear what I meant, what was the point being snarky?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Kept online <- plugged in.

Actively used <- used by someone in a PC not idling somewhere else where its not serving a user. 

Its pretty clear what I meant, what was the point being snarky?

It's still not clear to me what you mean, really. What are the cards that are "plugged in" but not being used doing?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

13 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I kinda wish that they had waited for R500 to drop support. Having the final version be 499.99 would have been fun.

Don't give them any ideas about what to do with Maxwell. I'm still running a GTX 750 Ti in my hybrid XP/HTPC and my backup desktop card is a 960 lol

13 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

It makes no sense to continue to spend man-hours coding for outdated hardware...you have to EOL at some point...but I think it would depend on how many people telemetry/reporting/etc. say are still using the cards...but also it annoys more than it should due to their recent tone-deaf behavior and the GPU market as a whole (shortages, scalping, etc.).

NVIDIA's history of when to end driver support for card architectures has always been a bit haphazard, imo. If it was a strategic thing, they would have dropped it right before RTX 3000 released or right before announcing an RTX 3050 Ti and RTX 3050. Both of those would probably be at least on part with a 690 or a 780 Ti.

...are they on the verge of doing that?

12 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Even newer DX11 games are known to artifact on it, mainly due to lack of up-to-date drivers. Performance is still pretty decent even with the artifacting.

"Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

11 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh windows kinda sucks without a ssd even when using windows 7. Not having a ssd boot drive in a pc at this point is dumb. Ssd prices are way cheaper now and you can easily get a small ssd for windows for fairly cheap. Not getting one is just asking for a bad time. 

XP life, bro.

11 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Agreed!

I do not like all the spying they do, the forced updates that breaks stuff, lack of control of the OS compared to previous versions (Such as getting rid of Cortana for example - You can't really do it) and just Win 10 in general.
How many threads have we seen where an update broke something that was working fine before or maybe changed things/settings in the OS?
Too many to count.

I do not like being the guinea pig/BETA tester for all the messes they make, that why instead of Win 10 I went to Linux and perfectly happy with it.
I will say it's true, ALL versions of an OS has some spying going on but Win 10 is beyond the pale with it.

As said, I'm running Linux and will continue to do so from now on.

I tried to force Cortana to die once. It trashed the Windows installation to the point that it was unusable. I wasn't thrilled, but I understand that when you delete core components that spread their tentacles throughout your entire OS, it's gonna break stuff. As far as built-in spyware goes, I think Microsoft gets more shit than they deserve. They're more transparent about it than Google or Facebook, to name the biggest offenders, and they actually do give you some shred of control over what the OS itself collects. They also don't set it up so that things are unusable if you, say, use your router to block traffic going to the ad servers. I'm not defending them, nor will I ever, because I hate the idea of making someone uninformed in the ways of computery pay $100 for a license then mining them anyway. But they are at least a lot more open about it than their fellow tech companies are.

I wish there was more support for OSes like Linux, but the main problem there is that there are so many flavors of Linux and they're all a little different. And if OEMs were to suddenly throw support behind Linux, who's to say that the Dells of the world wouldn't go to the Mint team and insist that proprietary Dell stuff that tracks you be put on there by default? Are we suddenly no better off than we would have been with Windows? Or would it even get to that point if, say, McAfee (which pays a ton to OEMs to include their trash) told an OEM that they were not going to bother with a Linux version, and they were not going to pay as much in the future if some of that OEMs lines were switched to support Linux instead of 100% Windows?

Once you get past the hardware and software support issues, you get to the monetary ones, and that's where things get really messy. It's why I have very little hope that an OS made by anyone other than Apple, Microsoft or maybe Google down the line--if they ever bother to make Chrome OS more than just a glorified Chrome browser--would really break into the market for mainstream use.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

34 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I wish there was more support for OSes like Linux, but the main problem there is that there are so many flavors of Linux and they're all a little different. And if OEMs were to suddenly throw support behind Linux, who's to say that the Dells of the world wouldn't go to the Mint team and insist that proprietary Dell stuff that tracks you be put on there by default? Are we suddenly no better off than we would have been with Windows? Or would it even get to that point if, say, McAfee (which pays a ton to OEMs to include their trash) told an OEM that they were not going to bother with a Linux version, and they were not going to pay as much in the future if some of that OEMs lines were switched to support Linux instead of 100% Windows?

Well, for the issue of fragmentation, one could just support Ubuntu based distros and eventaully the community would port it over to other distros (eg. the AUR, Davinci resolve, etc.)
As for the second part of insistence, yea, no Linux distro would stand by that.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.