How do you manage your cables around the house?

I live in a house with a bunch of wifi noobs and I have to run an ethernet cable about 15 meters because the router has to stay in the middle of the house -.-

anyway their condition is it has to look neat. I'm thinking of running it along the bottom of the walls and using a mat to cover it across a hallway.

I have a website that looks good but its expensive Hyda. Something like $40 for 3 meters.

I live in Australia so places close to there preferably.

Wouldn't be hard to make but wouldn't look as good.

Anyway any suggestions guys?

thanks

Won't really work plus we're renting so can't really do any permanent things to the house

Well, I just run ethernet cables in my attic, or if I had a basement I would do it there, like everybody else.

Pretty easy to cut, crimp, and install your own ethernet cables and then install them in the wall. If you have to run cables across your room for internet access, then you're doing it wrong, well in my opinion at least.

Edit;

Won't really work plus we're renting so can't really do any permanent things to the house

That would have been helpful information in your OP.

Make the cable yourself, and put it in the wall

Is not allowed in Australia if I'm not mistaken.

Really?! Then my bad on that one mate.

If you could get a longer cable, you could route it around the edges of the ceiling and pin it there, probably with staples(you can cover up the holes with paint or anything really before leaving, and even then I doubt they would be looking at the ceiling for holes as small as specks of dust).

Other than that, you could probably make your own tube routing contraption, probably out of plumber pipes.

When I had my TV and Sound System in my room I used little hooks to run the cables from the rear speakers mounted up near the ceiling around the edge of the ceiling back to the system. Maybe try something like that?

Circle_plastic_nail_hook_cable_clips.jpg

if not allowed run it on the wall of the cealing (i am bad at spelling), and hold it in place with tape or something.

Nothing to see here, move along

Maybe do something like this? But with ethernet cable rather than coaxial cable? I'm renting my condo, and the owners were totally cool with this solution when we had cable installed. Maybe send an email to or call the owners and ask if it's ok? post-42526-0-76516400-1396419762_thumb.j

But I'd do it in the corner where the wall and floor meet rather than just above the baseboard.

I put mine through the walls floor and attic, wired up the whole house except for one room, had to give my friend his drill back. :(

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Setup a power line solution or a wifi bridge with an exiting router or specific product to get ethernet connection to the devices, personally i'd run the cable and remove afterwards.

This is an example:

Cable tie them together, only plug stuff that needs to be plugged in and use power boards a lot.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Your meant to have a 'qualified' electrician, but i have know people who have done it themselves...house i live in may or may not have them.... ;)

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Either run it along the top of the walls or along the bottom.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Mine is run all over the place and I ask people to not trip on it. If they care not to listen and they wreck my equipment then they can owe me money for what they damage. As for suggestions if you want things super neat and tidy go wireless with everything. If not then clamp the ethernet cords just above the baseboards like that person showed earlier in this thread.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

depends on where in the house and what cables but I use a fair amount of conduit, cable clips and zip ties for cables that are behind things. 

When I had my TV and Sound System in my room I used little hooks to run the cables from the rear speakers mounted up near the ceiling around the edge of the ceiling back to the system. Maybe try something like that?

Circle_plastic_nail_hook_cable_clips.jpg

This is one of the best things you can do. It's what I do with all my cables I run along walls/baseboards and it will look nice and neat.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

I run two ethernet cables and one HDMI cable to my modem/tv respectively. I just ran them along the walls. Made sure they were not tangled and tied them together with some electric tape.

Then i hammered some small nails into the floor and bent them over the cables. (Since i couldn't find any of those white cable holder thingys you've seen already)

You don't really notice the cable if it's done right. And when i move i just need to pop a few nails out. Hardly even leaves a mark. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Maybe do something like this? But with ethernet cable rather than coaxial cable? I'm renting my condo, and the owners were totally cool with this solution when we had cable installed. Maybe send an email to or call the owners and ask if it's ok? attachicon.gifimage.jpg

But I'd do it in the corner where the wall and floor meet rather than just above the baseboard.

THis is a good idea, I use zip ties.. you can buy zip ties that have a screw hole so you can tack them whereever to keep them in place. You can also go to your local hardware store or home depot or lowes and buy wire mold. Wire molding looks amazing but it is a little more spendy then zip ties.

I use a combination of zip ties and molding for work and home.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Use a powerline ethernet plug. You plug one into the wall near your router. Then connect the router to it. Plug another near your computer and plug the ethernet into it and the computer.

Another vote for powerline networking. It seems like it would be your best bet. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

When I lived in an apartment I just pulled up the carpet and ran it snug to the wall there was plenty of room and ebay a cable I got mine for like 15bucks 20m never had any issues. And put the carpet back of corse