What RAM to pick?

I and planing on building my first costum buildt computer and i am standing between 2 options. Either 2x8gb 1866mhz Corsair dominator ram or 4x4gb 1866mhz What is the difference and qhich one should i get?

Please anwear fast!!

Ps. if my english is bad please take to mind im Norwegian ok?

-MarcusLauk

I would get the 2x8GB kit, so that in the future you will have room to upgrade to 32GB

i7-3960X@4.4 GHz, H100i (W/ AP-15 Fans), R9 290X , 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz, Asus RIVE, CM HAF X

I agree.  2x8 gigs.  As I understand it, it is better to get higher density modules to lower latency.

They both have the same speed so, it be best if you got the 2x8gb so you have room for later upgrades.

Agree completely with the above answers, go for the 2x8!

i will say at least 8Gb and a minimum of 1600Mhz. i have a G.SKILL ripjaws and they work just great. 

with me whoever, ahead who can

Get the 2x8 Kit - This allows you to expend the amount of RAM needed in the future and also reduces the chances of a DIMM dying on you. 

There isn't that much of a difference, apart from the fact that 2x8gb will only take up two of your RAM slot's and the 4x4gb will take up four of your RAM slots, so you wont have much room (if any) to upgrade to a higher capacity later.

I would go with the 4x4GB solution, here are my three reasons:

A ) 4 sticks of RAM will perform better to 2 sticks in multi-threaded applications

B ) 16GB is plenty enough for the gaming high-end, so to speak. The only reason you would want more is for video editing.

C ) Mixing modules may result in performance issues, even if they are the same model/brand.

A ) 4 sticks of RAM will perform better to 2 sticks in multi-threaded applications

B ) 16GB is plenty enough for the gaming high-end, so to speak. The only reason you would want more is for video editing.

C ) Mixing modules may result in performance issues, even if they are the same model/brand.

My Rig is going to be a gaming rig so it wont make any difference im getting the 2x8gb ones ^^

My Rig is going to be a gaming rig so it wont make any difference im getting the 2x8gb ones ^^

Why? You do not need more that 16GB RAM anyway.

Also, what OS are you running?

I am mentioned because there can be some software limitations:

• 32bit version of your OS can use only 4GB of RAM
  • Windows 7 Home 64bit can use only 16GB of RAM

If your rig is only going to be for gaming, save your self some money and get 8GB of 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz RAM. Anything more than that or faster than that has no benefits for gaming.

Why do you need 16gb of ram? I would go with the 2x8gb kit. A 2x4gb 1600mhz ram is enough if you just use this system for gaming.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Well shouldnt someone ask how many channels his hardware can handle ? if its quad channel then 4x2GB ram sticks would be better. if its dual channel then go for 2x4gbs. 8gb is all you need right now for gaming. Save some money from that and invest it to a good gpu or cpu or cpucooler.

I would go with the 2 x 8gb kit.

-It probably has looser timings but you won't notice it outside of benchmarks.

-Havng only 2 slots used can help with overclocking as it puts less strain on the cpu memory controller (more of an issue with sandybridge not ivybridge)

-Room to add another 16gb in future - provided you have the right version of windows

What motherboard you think of getting? 

Firstly do you really need the 1866 mhz kit. Why not get a standard 1600mhz kit there is basically no difference between therm. Also I would recommend getting 8 gb dimms because it gives you expand ability in the future on most modern boards. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Here is the real deal.....if your system can accept 32GB, then get 8GBx4.  Reason being that adding memory later means mixing kits and when you do that you increase your chances of running into issues.  the 32GB kit will be composed of sticks that have been binned together.

2nd, for those who say you don't need above 16GB, well they need to expand their horizons.  RAM Cache is a good benefit, certainly better than SSD Caching and RAM being as cheap as it is....well, it's a no-brainer.  You can pick up a 1866 32GB kit for $240.00 from G.Skill.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Since this is your first custom build i would recommend checking your motherboard's Memory-QVL for a proper choice of RAM and if Corsair's Dominator is listed then get the 2x 8gb as you can populate the other sticks later on with two more 8gb sticks.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

go with the 4x4. so for the time you have that config running it will be aesthetically pleasing and when/if you want to upgrade just sell tham and get a new kit.

2x8 Kit. You will have the availability to add more in the future depending on your motherboard. 

2x8 Kit. You will have the availability to add more in the future depending on your motherboard. 

I will get the 2z8 Kit ^^ heard so many recomendations for it now

A) Not correct. It depends on the system. On dual channel socket motherboards a configuration with 2x8 vs 4x4 will put less strain on the integrated memory controller. On a quad channel setup, like intels socket 2011, 4x4 would run at higher speeds than 2x8.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I use my rig for gaming, using 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz right now.

You really don't need anything faster or more than 8gigs, anywhere up from there for |gaming| is mainly for the e-peen aspect